Sexual harassment from interviewer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I strongly believe that this issue should be brought up to the Dean.

But what if the school asks for witnesses and these witnesses happen to be loyal friends with the offender? How would it play out?

Members don't see this ad.

Like I said, it's definitely not okay and totally inexcusable, but the reality is that it happens extremely often. Have you been to frat/sports/club parties? Are you familiar with the effects of alcohol?

I mean, for all you know he could be a fine person who had too much to drink. You successfully stopped him. I think without more evidence that he's a rapey mother****er, you should just move on.

WTF?

Reactions: 5 users
I strongly believe that this issue should be brought up to the school. But what if the school asks for witnesses and these witnesses happen to be loyal friends with the offender? How would it play out?
Any school worth attending will protect the victim with or without witnesses. This doesn't necessarily mean the interviewer will be punished, but the OP should at least receive another interview and be protected from the guy who assaulted her.

I can't imagine the school asking for witnesses so quickly. Honestly, I would imagine a second interview would be arranged for the OP and a complaint against the interviewer filed separately. If the school finds the complaint to be severe enough to raise serious concern, they can investigate and then request names of witnesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
What the hell is the school going to say?
"Oh some girl who's applying here claims a that a year ago, at a party where her a current student were both intoxicated, he made lewd comments and tried to kiss her. Thats bad. Did she file a police report? How about go to student counseling or conduct? Record it in her diary? Tell her friends in a text? Anonymously report it? Literally make any note that anything occurred in any way shape or form at all?"

-"Nope"

"Well, case closed. Expel this kid. His life is over. He clearly has a long history of sexual assault. "

Reactions: 1 user
It is an ENORMOUS jump to say someone who got drunk and made unwanted sexual advances may be a serial killer. Just because one med student once was a serial killer and also made drunken advances does not mean anything. I bet he also took tylenol. So does everyone that takes tylenol become a serial killer or pose a danger to their pateints? He also got drunk on BEER! So everyone who gets drunk on beer could be a sexual assaulting, serial killing, danger to their patients too?!?!?!?

OH MY GOD, EVERYONE RUN FOR THE HILLS!

I NEVER said that someone who makes drunken advances will become a serial killer. I specifically said it could indicate that he is a danger to his patients and that patterns of unethical and disturbing behavior should not be ignored. It is dangerous to ignore them.

There is something seriously wrong with the moral compass of someone who (drunkenly or not) sexually assaults a woman at a party.
I brought up the case of phillip markoff because while it is an extreme cause, it is an important one. He was also a med student and he had a pattern of similar behavior. Had he been reported earlier perhaps it could have prevented what happened. After he was arrested even some med student classmates came forward and said that it seemed like there was something wrong with him, but nobody ever reported it. My point is that these things should not be brushed off.
This is especially true for med students and physicians who will be taking care of vulnerable and compromised people.
There is no place for people like this in the medical profession. Just google sexual assault and doctor and you will find all too many disturbing reports of what happens when people who sexually assault women are allowed to practice medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
"Oh some girl who's applying here claims a that a year ago, at a party where her a current student were both intoxicated, he made lewd comments and tried to kiss her. Thats bad. Did she file a police report? How about go to student counseling or conduct? Record it in her diary? Tell her friends in a text? Anonymously report it? Literally make any note that anything occurred in any way shape or form at all?"

-"Nope"

"Well, case closed. Expel this kid. His life is over. He clearly has a long history of sexual assault. "
Honestly, I would imagine a second interview would be arranged for the OP and a complaint against the interviewer filed separately. If the school finds the complaint to be severe enough to raise serious concern, they can investigate and then request names of witnesses.
A lot of posters here don't seem to grasp that educational institutions are not the court of law and are not bound by the same limitations.

The statute of limitations for sexual assault is longer than 1 year in every U.S. state, as far as I'm aware. You should report him to the police and the medical school.

If there are witnesses, as long as they can verify that the act occurred, that should be enough to earn a conviction. Only the victim can determine if the act was consensual, and she has clearly stated that it was not.

Hi SDN,

So I have an issue, and I am mainly looking for the input of Adcom members, though I suppose advice from anyone is welcome. About a year ago I was at a party and was the victim of sexual harassment. A friend of my brother kept grabbing my boobs and groin and followed me around the whole night while making lewd comments about what he wanted to do to me. Later that night, when almost everyone had left, he cornered me in the garage and tried to force me to kiss him. I struck him hard in the face and that seemed to snap him out of it. He kind of laughed and slapped me on the butt, but he left the house after that. The whole incident left me upset and angry, but I didn't report it to anyone.
Fast forward to the present where I saw him again, this time as one of my student interviewers...I am really torn about what I should do. Should I report him to the school? I had no idea this individual was a medical student, and I am very concerned that he may abuse patients one day. On the other hand, I don't want to create such a ruckus that I am denied from the school. On the other other hand, who am I to ruin a young man's life for one night of stupid behavior? I would especially appreciate the input of @gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM @mimelim

Thank you
I think once you slapped him I think that was appropriate. As long as you don't continue to see him with this type of behavior in the future. Try talking to him about it and the perception that he gives off. Sexual harassment is a serious problem especially on college campuses. Check out your school policy and see how they have handled issues like this in past. Do they take it serious? What do they do to students? What would happen to you? Has he bothered you since? Or other girls talking about him in the same way?

I think once you slapped him I think that was appropriate. As long as you don't continue to see him with this type of behavior in the future. Try talking to him about it and the perception that he gives off. Sexual harassment is a serious problem especially on college campuses. Check out your school policy and see how they have handled issues like this in past. Do they take it serious? What do they do to students? What would happen to you? Has he bothered you since? Or other girls talking about him in the same way?
No no no no no. It is NOT the OP's responsibility to discuss the assault with her attacker. Good grief, where did you people receive your sexual education from?!

Reactions: 8 users
Some of these comments are truly sickening. It's concerning that those with said comments are my peers and potentially will be future colleagues.

If some girl came into the ER while you were on shift and told you this story, would you also brush it off and say it is a common occurrence and she should "brush it off?" Disgusting.

First time offenders are never last time offenders; it may not be a patient, but it could be another gal like OP.

Report it and get a new interviewer.

Women aren't a man's property or prize to be taken; actions described should be held accountable.

Reactions: 6 users
A lot of posters here don't seem to grasp that educational institutions are not the court of law and are not bound by the same limitations.

I understand that well. But they still should look for some proof. You don't just destroy someone because "she said so, it must be true." You need SOMETHING to indicate you two were even in the same place at the same time

Right, they need witness testimony, or a photograph of the party or something.

Hi SDN,

So I have an issue, and I am mainly looking for the input of Adcom members, though I suppose advice from anyone is welcome. About a year ago I was at a party and was the victim of sexual harassment. A friend of my brother kept grabbing my boobs and groin and followed me around the whole night while making lewd comments about what he wanted to do to me. Later that night, when almost everyone had left, he cornered me in the garage and tried to force me to kiss him. I struck him hard in the face and that seemed to snap him out of it. He kind of laughed and slapped me on the butt, but he left the house after that. The whole incident left me upset and angry, but I didn't report it to anyone.
Fast forward to the present where I saw him again, this time as one of my student interviewers...I am really torn about what I should do. Should I report him to the school? I had no idea this individual was a medical student, and I am very concerned that he may abuse patients one day. On the other hand, I don't want to create such a ruckus that I am denied from the school. On the other other hand, who am I to ruin a young man's life for one night of stupid behavior? I would especially appreciate the input of @gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM @mimelim

Thank you

This thread hurts my head and I'll admit that I really only skimmed most of the posts debating sexual assault. I'm going to try to take a practical approach to this rather than touching the 'core' issue at all. Before I do, while it is a little old, http://victimsofcrime.org/docs/DNA ...sault-check-chart---final---copy.pdf?sfvrsn=2 goes over the statute of limitations regarding sexual assault. Very few states have limits below one year. That having been said, my wife (ADA, focused in domestic abuse and sexual assault) has repeatedly cautioned me about your exact scenario. Trying to prosecute something a year after it happens is next to impossible because ultimately it devolves into a he says, she says with year old (alcohol inhibited) eye witness testimony.

Practically speaking, I am NOT saying what is right or wrong. I am simply predicting what will happen based on what I saw happen with disciplinary issues at schools I've been at.

Reporting to the school. The best avenue will be direct interfacing with the dean of students or dean of admissions at the school. I would not do this over e-mail or phone. This is something that should be done in person. Arranged via other methods, but ultimately, the story should be told in person. There is significant rolling of the dice with doing this. For the guy, the chances of anything negative happening is very small. If he was a student when you say this happened, some schools may investigate on their own. Their standard of evidence will likely be lower than criminal courts (certainly not "beyond all reasonable doubt"), but even with that, with this much time passing, it is unlikely that anything negative will happen to the student. For you, it is also a roll of the dice. I do not think that this will help or harm you necessarily, but depending on how you present yourself during this, it may do either. If I had a daughter in your position, I would be inclined to advise her to setup a meeting with the dean of admissions and tell them in person that I was withdrawing my application to their school and explain that I couldn't fathom going to the same school as someone who assaulted me. But, I don't think that anyone can fault others for bringing things up in a different way. However, right or wrong, walking in and demanding action because "he may abuse patients one day" is going to shut down anyone that is listening to you.

Do med students face a very different process than undergrads when accused of sexual assault? Like do they get innocent until proven guilty instead of preponderance, or are they handled only by police instead of and/or with school investigation? Because happening a while ago doesn't do much to protect someone from multiple witnesses...and a year ago is well within the statute of lim. for most states for even the lowest ranking charges

Edit: I realize this probably doesn't apply when it's a non-student filing I'm just curious about this

Most medical schools follow similar policies to undergrads, if not identical. There is also no reason why one can't pursue criminal charges as well as have the school investigate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that well. But they still should look for some proof. You don't just destroy someone because "she said so, it must be true." You need SOMETHING to indicate you two were even in the same place at the same time

Do you think it's an every day, or even common, event for an interviewee to accuse their student interviewer of sexual harassment?

I think not.

It is a red flag in its self.

Jesus Christ reporting assault isn't destroying anyone, it's just reporting it! Once it's reported they will open an investigation and gather evidence. If sufficient evidence is found, he will face consequences. If not, at least it's been reported so if there are future assaults it will be easier to build a case. This is why your advice to keep quiet is terrible advice.
The benefit of reporting it is that even if there is zero evidence, she can have another interview and won't suffer anymore because of his actions.

Sorry if someone already said this, but isn't it possible to simply let the dean know that you and your interviewer already knew each other and that you are afraid that it will bias his evaluation one way or another? No need to go into more detail (unless you want to, of course). Your student interviewer would almost certainly corroborate that you two had already met.

Reporting to the school. The best avenue will be direct interfacing with the dean of students or dean of admissions at the school. I would not do this over e-mail or phone. This is something that should be done in person. Arranged via other methods, but ultimately, the story should be told in person. There is significant rolling of the dice with doing this. For the guy, the chances of anything negative happening is very small. If he was a student when you say this happened, some schools may investigate on their own. Their standard of evidence will likely be lower than criminal courts (certainly not "beyond all reasonable doubt").
This. The standard for evidence in academic institutions is significantly lower than in the legal system.

From my experience, if you email or call to report the assault, they will set up an in-person meeting with you to "interview" you on what happened. This is the first part of the investigation. The entire investigation will be handled by a committee entirely separate from admissions and probably separate from the medical school, depending on the institution's size. You are entitled to decline if you would like and should still be able to interview at the medical school again, with someone else, if you would like to. You can withdraw from the investigation at any point, but the institution will likely continue to investigate to their best of their ability without you. You are protected from any retaliation, so there should not be any concern about presenting yourself a certain way. The most important thing is that even if there isn't enough evidence to have a solid case against him, it will documented that he's been accused of assault before, which will be accessed if he's ever accused of assault again.

Reactions: 1 users
What strikes me is that this doesn't seem like a pattern. A mistake sure. I guess this is my fraternity background talking, but if someone makes a drunk mistake one time and no one is hurt, it really isn't that big of a deal. Im sure this was an unpleasant experience for her, but a "pattern of unethical and disturbing behavior" is not the same as "drunkenly attempted to make out at a house party once."

Are you seriously saying that you believe a decent and honorable guy had ONE lapse of judgement and behavioral boundaries that lasted all night (not just ONE sloppy and unwelcome pass) and that this decent and honorable guy has since been to other parties and consistently behaves like a decent person. That's what you think?

Isn't it more likely that this is a guy who has a problem with inappropriate behavior toward women when he's been drinking? Grossly inappropriate, 'rapey' behavior, even, when he's been drinking enough?

-"Nope"

This is not an anonymous complaint - which the school could reasonably dismiss. It's an in-person, on paper, signed statement made against the complainant's own interests. She can substantiate her complaint with eye-witness accounts. What more could you reasonably ask for? Oh yeah - a police report. Or a report to the university when it happened. You're assuming it happened at a university frat party, and that the OP knew her assailant was a student there and/or frat member -- none of which she said.

It would be reasonable to report a sexual assault by another student to the university. But the standards of behavior for "some random frat guy at a frat party" and a "fellow medical student" are different. Yeah, you can "get over" the random frat guy you never have to see again. But you should not have to choose between not going to medical school and going to school with someone who has sexually assaulted you.

What should the school do?

School: "This is a very serious charge you're making. Do you have any evidence to substantiate it?"
OP: "There were witnesses who intervened several times to get him to stop. I can get you a few names and phone numbers."
School: "Yes, please do. This is not the type of behavior we tolerate here."

This thread hurts my head and I'll admit that I really only skimmed most of the posts debating sexual assault. I'm going to try to take a practical approach to this rather than touching the 'core' issue at all. Before I do, while it is a little old, http://victimsofcrime.org/docs/DNA Resource Center/sol-for-sexual-assault-check-chart---final---copy.pdf?sfvrsn=2 goes over the statute of limitations regarding sexual assault. Very few states have limits below one year. That having been said, my wife (ADA, focused in domestic abuse and sexual assault) has repeatedly cautioned me about your exact scenario. Trying to prosecute something a year after it happens is next to impossible because ultimately it devolves into a he says, she says with year old (alcohol inhibited) eye witness testimony.

Practically speaking, I am NOT saying what is right or wrong. I am simply predicting what will happen based on what I saw happen with disciplinary issues at schools I've been at.

Reporting to the school. The best avenue will be direct interfacing with the dean of students or dean of admissions at the school. I would not do this over e-mail or phone. This is something that should be done in person. Arranged via other methods, but ultimately, the story should be told in person. There is significant rolling of the dice with doing this. For the guy, the chances of anything negative happening is very small. If he was a student when you say this happened, some schools may investigate on their own. Their standard of evidence will likely be lower than criminal courts (certainly not "beyond all reasonable doubt"), but even with that, with this much time passing, it is unlikely that anything negative will happen to the student. For you, it is also a roll of the dice. I do not think that this will help or harm you necessarily, but depending on how you present yourself during this, it may do either. If I had a daughter in your position, I would be inclined to advise her to setup a meeting with the dean of admissions and tell them in person that I was withdrawing my application to their school and explain that I couldn't fathom going to the same school as someone who assaulted me. But, I don't think that anyone can fault others for bringing things up in a different way. However, right or wrong, walking in and demanding action because "he may abuse patients one day" is going to shut down anyone that is listening to you.

Most medical schools follow similar policies to undergrads, if not identical. There is also no reason why one can't pursue criminal charges as well as have the school investigate.
This. The standard for evidence in academic institutions is significantly lower than in the legal system.

From my experience, if you email or call to report the assault, they will set up an in-person meeting with you to "interview" you on what happened. This is the first part of the investigation. The entire investigation will be handled by a committee entirely separate from admissions and probably separate from the medical school, depending on the institution's size. You are entitled to decline if you would like and should still be able to interview at the medical school again, with someone else, if you would like to. You can withdraw from the investigation at any point, but the institution will likely continue to investigate to their best of their ability without you. You are protected from any retaliation, so there should not be any concern about presenting yourself a certain way. The most important thing is that even if there isn't enough evidence to have a solid case against him, it will documented that he's been accused of assault before, which will be accessed if he's ever accused of assault again.

I agree with both of you but it's better to emphasize that OP should withdraw from the school where the student interviewer is at regardless of the action taken.

No no no no no. It is NOT the OP's responsibility to discuss the assault with her attacker. Good grief, where did you people receive your sexual education from?!

A lot of people probably didn't receive any or received very poor sex ed., since sex causes babies and is bad and stuff because abstinence is the right way, and also boys can't control themselves so it's the girl's fault because she was "asking for it" >__>

No, that's not at all what I was saying.

I took the prerogative to acquiesce to the other voices on here. I'd appreciate if you guys could, in true-SDN fashion, refrain from initiating the selective quoting and misconstruing of my beliefs.

At the absolute bare minimum, the Admissions Dean should be informed because the interviewer "knew" the interviewee, presumably failed to disclose that, and may have been prejudiced in his assessment of her. IMO, the Dean has a right to know how the interviewer "knew" the interviewee.

I agree with both of you but it's better to emphasize that OP should withdraw from the school where the student interviewer is at regardless of the action taken.
I disagree. If he's a fourth year he'll graduate before she matriculates. If he's a second or third year she'll probably never see him and the school should protect her from him regardless. Finally, this girl should not be missing out on a school because some dingus couldn't keep his hands to himself.

Reactions: 6 users
A lot of people probably didn't receive any or received very poor sex ed., since sex causes babies and is bad and stuff because abstinence is the right way, and also boys can't control themselves so it's the girl's fault because she was "asking for it" >__>

Well to be fair, sex ed can be equally or better learned from reading newspapers and watching videos rather taking a class. The class itself doesn't help much if the students aren't interested in the topic at that time.

I disagree. If he's a fourth year he'll graduate before she matriculates. If he's a second or third year she'll probably never see him and the school should protect her from him regardless. Finally, this girl should not be missing out on a school because some dingus couldn't keep his hands to himself.

Filing the report has intrinsic risks involved that the school may not be willing to take in when there are other applicants who are of low-risk or risk-free. And no, i severely disagree with the practice but that doesn't mean the school won't engage in it

From OP's perspective, the student interviewer will always be there and serve as a threat unless he graduated. And even then, it's critical for the student interviewer to not attend the residency affiliated with the school.

This is not an undergraduate institution. They do not want him to be expelled. Medical schools are selective and each student is an investment. They are not going to call up the members of the party for attestation or dust ops tits for fingerprints.
If the incident happened, I don't think any sane individual would condone what that guy did... But some people were quick to say to report the individual without asking the right questions...

A guy was harassing you and following every where at a party and no one said a thing... That seems strange!

He was (is) your brother's friend and you did not know anything about him (like where he is going to school)... Did you even talk to your brother about the incident etc...?

Blame the victim....

Filing the report has intrinsic risks involved that the school may not be willing to take in when there are other applicants who are of low-risk or risk-free. And no, i severely disagree with the practice but that doesn't mean the school won't engage in it
What risks? Once assault is reported it has to be investigated and the OP will be protected from any retaliation, including from the school.

Reactions: 1 users
gifsex.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Well to be fair, sex ed can be equally or better learned from reading newspapers and watching videos rather taking a class. The class itself doesn't help much if the students aren't interested in the topic at that time.

I think it's more along the lines of people are not taught how to handle sexual assault and domestic violence. The previous poster had given poor advice regarding how to handle a sexual assault. But yes, the actual class generally isn't very helpful usually because of personal/regional biases. The problem is if you are giving advice based on anecdotal experience or poor education. Which is why I have only been commenting on the mentality of OP's harasser and the severity of the issue, and not what to do from a legal standpoint :p

Basically, the school doesn't want to engage in the additional burden of investigating the report.
Yeah, because they def. are super alright with having a potential sexual predator in their ranks. Yep.

Jesus Christ reporting assault isn't destroying anyone, it's just reporting it! Once it's reported they will open an investigation and gather evidence. If sufficient evidence is found, he will face consequences. If not, at least it's been reported so if there are future assaults it will be easier to build a case. This is why your advice to keep quiet is terrible advice.
The benefit of reporting it is that even if there is zero evidence, she can have another interview and won't suffer anymore because of his actions.

I agree with reporting it, but at the same time it is also naïve to think that unproven allegations can't be a detriment to someone. There is a laundry list of people that are forever associated with things that it cannot be proven they did, even on a preponderance of evidence (i.e. civil or institutional proceeding), let alone in the court of law. That fact alone is part of the reason this thread is already 5 pages long.

Basically, the school doesn't want to engage in the additional burden of investigating the report.
Please review the process of how assault reports are handled in academic institutions. The medical school does not get involved because the investigation is handled by a separate committee. Once reported, the victim is protected from retaliation and the investigation is mandatory.

I agree with reporting it, but at the same time it is also naïve to think that unproven allegations can't be a detriment to someone. There is a laundry list of people that are forever associated with things that it cannot be proven they did, even on a preponderance of evidence (i.e. civil or institutional proceeding), let alone in the court of law. That fact alone is part of the reason this thread is already 5 pages long.
That's why there's an investigation once a report is made :rolleyes:. If the investigation finds sufficient evidence for disciplinary action, then there will be consequences for the assaulter. If not, then there won't be, just a filed report. Either way, it's not in the OP's hands once she reports it.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. How exactly do you know how a school would/wouldn't respond.

That's why there's an investigation once a report is made :rolleyes:
And yeah, sure -- sometimes people make false accusations to f**k with some innocent dude. Fine. But how many times does that really happen relative to the number of legit sexual assaults that actually get reported? We can't create policy that emphasizes that outliers. We have to act in such a way that benefits the most people and this is why we beleive and listen carefully to people when they tell us they were assaulted.

And yeah, sure -- sometimes people make false accusations to f**k with some innocent dude. Fine. But how many times does that really happen relative to the number of legit sexual assaults that actually get reported? We can't create policy that emphasizes that outliers. We have to act in such a way that benefits the most people and this is why we beleive and listen carefully to people when they tell us they were assaulted.
Even IF a false accusation is made there will be an investigation in attempt to substantiate it before any disciplinary action is taken.

I think it's more along the lines of people are not taught how to handle sexual assault and domestic violence. The previous poster had given poor advice regarding how to handle a sexual assault. But yes, the actual class generally isn't very helpful usually because of personal/regional biases. The problem is if you are giving advice based on anecdotal experience or poor education. Which is why I have only been commenting on the mentality of OP's harasser and the severity of the issue, and not what to do from a legal standpoint :p

To be fair, most of the advice given here are garbage (in the lines of, "it's just a frat", victim shaming and other stuff). I'm just sticking with the practical standpoints here lol

Yeah, because they def. are super alright with having a potential sexual predator in their ranks. Yep.

Well economically speaking, they certainly don't want to waste time, money and resources carrying out the investigation.

I don't think you know what you're talking about. How exactly do you know how a school would/wouldn't respond.
Please review the process of how assault reports are handled in academic institutions. The medical school does not get involved because the investigation is handled by a separate committee. Once reported, the victim is protected from retaliation and the investigation is mandatory.

Wait, the medical school doesn't get involved in the investigation? Even when the admissions receives a substantiated report from OP accusing a student? I know that the victim is protected from retaliation but that doesn't stop the school from silently punishing her with a rejection to avoid unnecessary burden/liability/costs.

Like I said, i don't agree with it but it gives the school a reason to reject OP.

Last edited:
Wait, the medical school doesn't get involved in the investigation? Even despite the admissions receive a substantiated report from OP accusing a student?
No. Academic institutions have committees (or at least a specific person) who are trained to handle assault and harassment cases. There's a very specific process that must be followed when a report is made in order to protect all parties involved and encourage a safe environment for reporting in the first place. This isn't something that will be handled by the dean or adcom, except perhaps to offer an additional interview to the OP and then forward the report to the committee who deals with assault and harassment cases.

No. Academic institutions have committees (or at least a specific person) who are trained to handle assault and harassment cases. There's a very specific process that must be followed when a report is made in order to protect all parties involved and encourage a safe environment for reporting in the first place. This isn't something that will be handled by the dean or adcom, except perhaps to offer an additional interview to the OP and then forward the report to the committee who deals with these cases.

Title IX

No. Academic institutions have committees (or at least a specific person) who are trained to handle assault and harassment cases. There's a very specific process that must be followed when a report is made in order to protect all parties involved and encourage a safe environment for reporting in the first place. This isn't something that will be handled by the dean or adcom, except perhaps to offer an additional interview to the OP and then forward the report to the committee who deals with assault and harassment cases.

But what stops the dean/adcom from being biased against the OP and rejecting her due to the misconceived view that she's high-risk? That shouldn't happen given what you presented, but hey, nothing stops the adcoms from cooking up some lame reason and rejecting OP for starting this.

Of course, like you said earlier, if the school is something worth attending (which it should be), the adcom/dean will probably offer another interview to OP to provide a bias-free evaluation and not be malicious/engage in victim shaming. But that's still a requisite for the school to follow

But what stops the dean/adcom from being biased against the OP and rejecting her due to the misconceived view that she's high-risk? That shouldn't happen given what you presented, but hey, nothing stops the adcoms from cooking up some lame reason and rejecting OP for starting this.

Of course, like you said earlier, if the school is something worth attending (which it should be), the adcom/dean will probably offer another interview to OP to provide a bias-free evaluation and not be malicious/engage in victim shaming. But that's still a requisite for the school to follow
Because her application file cannot link her to the investigation. It's a protected investigation. The adcom reviewing her file will not know about the report and if the dean is aware of it, he cannot review her file (not that he would anyway).

I can imagine half a dozen scenarios in which it would be better to not withdraw, depending on circumstances as well as how exactly the OP is feeling. I don't think that anyone, given the information provided here can push for a specific solution/resolution. Again, trying to take this on from as practical a position as possible, rather than a right vs. wrong perspective. A lot of this comes down to how things are presented and the subsequent reaction to this. I can imagine this actually helping the applicant in many circumstances because it affords them the additional opportunity to demonstrate qualities that a school is looking for.

Your perspective is spine-chilling. Women who go to frat parties invite sexual assault? Please. So the blame isn't on the other party who believe that they have a right to a women's body based on what she is wearing/the fact that she is a woman/she is at a party? No. Wrong. False. Negative. No. It doesn't matter if I'm wearing lingerie or 32 layers in the winter time; it is not my fault if a guy can't control his boner. Blaming women for sexual assault is saying that the guy is NOT in control of his own actions. If you think someone is interested in you, you ASK. You COMMUNICATE. Like a reasonable, sensible person. You don't just grope them or hit on them and make lewd comments expecting them to jump into bed with you. The key to a healthy relationship is trust and communication, and the fact that only "certain women" are deserving of this type of communication is a terrible way to think.

Do you not believe that women deserve the same respect that men do?
Men that go to gay bars invite sexual assault by others who are attracted to them. Men that go to parties centered around women trying to get with guys invite the women to get with the guys.

Women that go to frat parties invite a man trying to get it on. Get over yourself. Party culture is stupid and go find your fun some other way. I'm a male and I refuse to go to parties even though I constantly get invited to go to them by my frat buddy.

Be mature, not a silly teenage idiot trying to get off on some false sense of fun.

I can imagine this actually helping the applicant in many circumstances because it affords them the additional opportunity to demonstrate qualities that a school is looking for.
Except this has to be kept separate from her application review. The investigation has to be private and protected unless she consents to have her name used.
Men that go to gay bars invite sexual assault by others who are attracted to them. Men that go to parties centered around women trying to get with guys invite the women to get with the guys.

Women that go to frat parties invite a man trying to get it on. Get over yourself. Party culture is stupid and go find your fun some other way. I'm a male and I refuse to go to parties even though I constantly get invited to go to them by my frat buddy.

Be mature, not a silly teenage idiot trying to get off on some false sense of fun.
You're an idiot.

Ew.

Because her application file cannot link her to the investigation. It's a protected investigation. The adcom reviewing her file will not know about the report and if the dean is aware of it, he cannot review her file (not that he would anyway).

That is very encouraging. Since the adcoms/deans are not biased/affected by the report, OP should proceed to file it.

I can imagine half a dozen scenarios in which it would be better to not withdraw, depending on circumstances as well as how exactly the OP is feeling. I don't think that anyone, given the information provided here can push for a specific solution/resolution. Again, trying to take this on from as practical a position as possible, rather than a right vs. wrong perspective. A lot of this comes down to how things are presented and the subsequent reaction to this. I can imagine this actually helping the applicant in many circumstances because it affords them the additional opportunity to demonstrate qualities that a school is looking for.

I was looking at things from a practical/economic perspective, until I realized that the investigation report is filed to a committee separate from the admissions, and that OP's application report is protected.

For the love of God, OP, by all means report him. WTF cares if it ruins his life? It's obvious his actions have seriously caused harm to you and the fact that "maybe he can't remember it" but YOU still remember the pain and tears his actions caused YOU means people in power need to know this A-hole has the potential to act this way again. Alcohol is no excuse and being at a frat party does not mean you invited or deserved this type of behavior from anyone.

I'm going to be giving side-eye to all male med students now. This thread. Wow. Just wow. And yes, to the other poster with horrendous thoughts I disagree with - The liberals are coming. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Liberty and justice for all.

And if you do report it, just realize you are potentially ruining his life over one night where he got black out and drunkenly tried to make a pass at you. This isn't a sadistic guy who made some premeditated plan to corner you in a garage and get you to kiss him. This could be anyone under the sun who accidentally got way too drunk at a frat party and had no idea what he was doing. And for doing that you could literally ruin his life. Ruin as in leave his saddled with 200k of non-dischargeable debt while simultaneously decimating his ability pursue the career he has spent years training for. So think long and hard before you make any decisions. Again, just my opinion, and I'm very sorry you had to go through such a crappy situation OP.

No, the OP should NOT confront this person!

If you are so worried about your life getting ruined, don't do something like this in the first place! If you choose to do it, drunk/intoxicated/whatever, then don't whine about your life being ruined as a consequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.