SFSU Formal Post-Bacc 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHopeful09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd make a thread since the "recent" ones are pretty old. Just submitted my application and wanted to see who else was also applying. =)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied in late January of this year for Summer 13.

I would fit into the CCT group.

They told me we would hear back regarding interviews in late March or early April.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask from what people did everyone get their LORs? They say one from a faculty is preferable but I don't know if I will be able to get mine in for the Fall semester deadline

I got mine from professors I had a few semesters ago and with whom I have updated on what I have been doing since then. I notified them about a month ago and they were totally fine with writing me a letter in that time frame. However, they finished within two weeks, so hopefully the letters are good! =/

On an unrelated note, just got an email stating my application was received by the program! Now the waiting game begins......

Can I ask from what people did everyone get their LORs? They say one from a faculty is preferable but I don't know if I will be able to get mine in for the Fall semester deadline

I had a professor from a science class last semester, work supervisor, and professional training (medical field) program director.

I was aiming to ask a non-science professor for a LOR in addition to two more from an internship (medical-related) and volunteering/shadowing position. I just hope they aren't nit-picky about having a science professor because I aim to get one while at SFSU.......if accepted lol

Yesterday I received the email that said apps have been forwarded to the admissions comittee for review. This means we should hear back about interviews in the next month.

Good luck to us!

While we wait, shall we compare stats?

Grad from a UC, 3.4 GPA, 1800 SAT, had a job since I was 16 and have leadership positions in a few organizations. Haven't taken MCAT, so that's going to be something to look forward to.... =/

While we wait, shall we compare stats?

Grad from a UC, 3.4 GPA, 1800 SAT, had a job since I was 16 and have leadership positions in a few organizations. Haven't taken MCAT, so that's going to be something to look forward to.... =/

Not into comparing but you look like a good applicant!

Waiting is tough. :(

Has anyone heard anything yet? It's only been a week, so I'm not expecting anything. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Also, has anyone sent their official transcripts yet? Hopefully they use the unofficial ones in the meantime....

Has anyone heard anything yet? It's only been a week, so I'm not expecting anything. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Also, has anyone sent their official transcripts yet? Hopefully they use the unofficial ones in the meantime....

I sent my app in January. LOL.

I sent in all my transcripts a while ago as well.

From what I have heard we won't hear back until April.

I applied CCT.
Got reccs from a previous employer and the pharmaceutical company I currently work at.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting is so harrrdd!!!!

Anywho, where else have you guys applied? =)

I applied to University of Rochester and SFSU.

Where else did you apply?

I'm in the process of applying and I was wondering if anyone used interfolio to send in their LORs? If you did, what did you write as the email for the recommender? I have all of my letters stored on interfolio and I don't want to put my professor's email if they're going to ask him for another one.

Not sure if you're still looking for the answer:

"I was wondering if anyone used interfolio to send in their LORs?"

But I applied using Interfolio (called ahead of time and the SFSU program said it would be fine). Here is the info of who you should be sending it to:

Dennis, Yu
Post-Bac Program
San Francisco State University

[email protected]

Not sure if you're still looking for the answer:

"I was wondering if anyone used interfolio to send in their LORs?"

But I applied using Interfolio (called ahead of time and the SFSU program said it would be fine). Here is the info of who you should be sending it to:

Dennis, Yu
Post-Bac Program
San Francisco State University

[email protected]

Yes, I still needed it. Thank you!

We are just over a week away from when we can start hearing back!

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't apply anywhere else because SF is my ideal location, in terms of commute and living. CSU East Bay caught my eye, but I feel better with SFSU.

Did anyone follow-up on transcripts? I hope mine got there, but I didn't want to send yet another email to their offices..... =/

I didn't apply anywhere else because SF is my ideal location, in terms of commute and living. CSU East Bay caught my eye, but I feel better with SFSU.

Did anyone follow-up on transcripts? I hope mine got there, but I didn't want to send yet another email to their offices..... =/

I did follow up and they told me they were missing one. I found out a school had sent my transcripts to the wrong place; lucky I found out!

Emailed them to confirm. Nothing was missing, but I feel better knowing that!! =)

Yes when I had the same questions they were very quick and helpful with their replies.

Just got the interview invite!!!! Extremely excited! Hopefully I'll be calm enough during the interview to not bomb it epically.... =)

Nice. Congrats.

Did they call or email? How far out is your interview?

Thanks! I got an email in the evening for an interview April 13th. woot! :)

Congrats. I won't be too bummed until April 1 passes but I hope they send out an email even if they are declining you.

Luckily I have an acceptance in hand to a different, top-notch post bac but SFSU is a lot more local.

Please post back to let us know how your interview and thoughts of the school are.

Just got the interview invite!!!! Extremely excited! Hopefully I'll be calm enough during the interview to not bomb it epically.... =)

Me too! very excited. :)
I wish I were able to attend in person but I'll be interviewing via Skype.
Little nervous.. first time doing a video interview.

I have my interview coming up on April 13th as well. Looking forward to meeting those of you who also have an interview upcoming. I hear the interview process is quite painless. I'm looking forward to meeting the staff as well. From what I hear they're very well prepared and have the program extremely organized.

I don't think stats comp is all too helpful here, the program stresses many facets of the applicant, and not solely his/her GPA.

Best to everyone on their interviews!

Hi, everyone. For those of you who were wondering (and who haven't received a interview invite yet, like myself!), I just called the office and asked them about the interview process.

They said they have only scheduled one interview date thus far (April 13th and it's supposedly a smaller one?). This date is only the applicants that have been reviewed first, and they will be scheduling 3 to 4 more future interview dates. They will occur in no preferential order but merely who is being reviewed first. They also said they are getting close to finishing their initial evaluations and there should be responses to interview (or not) in the next few weeks.

So no panicking yet!
Just to play devil's advocate a little bit here... I find it hard to believe that its in no preferential order, provided that I applied just near the deadline... and app wasn't completed until recently, hence no way its in order of received, completed, and reviewed.. Not entirely disagreeing with you, but there may be some misinformation you are providing given the limited information we all have. I would imagine you would provide interviews to people you find highly favorable and offer them a spot first to ensure the integrity of strong applicants (high likelihood of success) in the program. But then again, none of us have concrete information with the logistics of this process. Best of luck to you and everyone else!

Sure! I have no problem with the devil's advocate! :laugh:

Well, either way, take what I said with a grain of salt or not.. just thought I would relay what they told me about additional interview days!
Totally agree with you on the other interview dates... I wonder why the pool is smaller on April 13th... Also, are you a CCT, or AET applicant? My understanding was that the two are mutually exclusive when it comes to app process and decisions... Cheers!

I also received the same information from my contact at SFSU regarding my app.

I have not heard back from them yet. I applied the day it opened and had all official letters and transcripts in by mid January.

They told me they should have all notifications out within two weeks.

I'm doing the academic enhancer tract interview on April 6th! pretty excited :thumbup:

I submitted my app a week before the deadline and received the email stating my app was forwarded to the committee for review the same day (hours before) I got the interview invite.

@Kookfu, April 6th?? If true, GL and let us know how it goes!! =)

I submitted my app a week before the deadline and received the email stating my app was forwarded to the committee for review the same day (hours before) I got the interview invite.

@Kookfu, April 6th?? If true, GL and let us know how it goes!! =)

ya the 6th, thanks, you too!

If accepted, is anyone planning on doing volunteering/research while in the program? I've contemplated it, but has anyone heard otherwise?

Is everyone here waiting to hear back from the dental post-bacc program? I submitted my application on the due day April 1st. I just got a call today inviting me for an interview for either April 12 or the 20th. Has anyone gotten in yet and which program, the one year or the 1.5 year program?

same here I got an interview on the 12th too

Yea I got my application in at the last minute because I became really ill; man was that a struggle! Feeling better though and got everything in, received email that the app. committee reviewed my application and are just waiting on a letter of rec. from one of my professors (who I believe will provide the strongest out of all three letter) and it was submitted today. I hope to receive a call or email soon so I can have an interview with you guys for the post bac dental program!

On a side note: To the person who received an interview April 6th, was that for the formal post bac program because I'm almost confident the dental program doesn't begin interviewing until April 12th.

If accepted, is anyone planning on doing volunteering/research while in the program? I've contemplated it, but has anyone heard otherwise?

If you are applying to the dental program, I know for a fact you should have an interest in volunteer work (as you will be doing so) as well as performing a lot of extracurricular work. Not sure about the formal one though.

Hi there! I'm a CCT and had my interview yesterday, April 6 :) It was nice meeting everybody! Looking forward to hearing back about the interview. It was pretty low stress and everybody was very friendly. I would love to hear from other interviewee's as soon as they hear back. Good luck everybody!

Did anyone say anything about people who have not heard back yet?

Nobody mentioned this specifically, but they did mention that they were still setting up interviews, and that there would be between 3-5 interview dates, so I wouldn't worry yet :)

Thanks!

Just concerned because of the closeness of the decision date to the start date. Especially combined with the logistics of relocating!

The other program I was accepted to begins in the Fall and I already received a decision.