SFSU POSTBAC GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hehey92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i'll be graduating cal this year with a 3.3 cumulative gpa. i'm hoping to get into SFSU's postbac program. do you guys think that my gpa is competitive enough? should i take classes at ccsf to boost my gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

lol you're definitely competitive enough. You could be competitive for some DO schools with a good MCAT. But if your goal is MD, then yeah you are competitive for the program. I'm also planning on applying to the program for fall 2015. are you URM?

There is also UC Berkeley extension if you don't make the deadlines for sfsu post-bacc

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked into the programs before. They look really good. I ended up not doing them since I didn't qualify. However, they are strong programs. But different in intent and content. SFSU is a dedicated daytime classroom setting. You'll essentially be going back to school.
UCB Extension is mostly night classes with some afternoon classes. You'll be in school there too but its a different vibe. Lots of working adults or recent graduates. There is also another post bacc in Hayward or so and at UCSF. I heard great things about the UCSF one and they seems to be more open to URM or low SES students. I do not know about the Hayward one.

You should look into all those programs. Oh and the cost and commitment for them is pretty different too.

Yeah i took 12 units at UCB ext and you take courses with people in the UCSF post-bacc program. Im currently debating going back to UCB ext or going to sfsu's post-bacc. One thing i didn't like about UCB extension is that the courses are detailed but many students complained because the prof wouldn't say how detailed the tests would be. I studied my ass off and did well on every exam except that i didn't take the teachers word when they said the test wouldn't be too detailed because that could mean different things to different people. The SFSU post-bacc, ive heard, is more structured and there is a sense of camaraderie. In UCB ext i sometimes felt the yale, stanford, and UC kids were trying to leach any info they could from you but wouldn't help you in return.

Yeah i took 12 units at UCB ext and you take courses with people in the UCSF post-bacc program. Im currently debating going back to UCB ext or going to sfsu's post-bacc. One thing i didn't like about UCB extension is that the courses are detailed but many students complained because the prof wouldn't say how detailed the tests would be. I studied my ass off and did well on every exam except that i didn't take the teachers word when they said the test wouldn't be too detailed because that could mean different things to different people. The SFSU post-bacc, ive heard, is more structured and there is a sense of camaraderie. In UCB ext i sometimes felt the yale, stanford, and UC kids were trying to leach any info they could from you but wouldn't help you in return.
You know I heard the same comments from students from both programs. I think they have different personalities as well. UCB Ext seems to be more go to class and go home type of people. SFSU seems to by more hey we are classmates what do you think of this material personality. I did hear that SFSU has it organized for you. Both have good records.

Reactions: 1 user