DO sGPA 3.06, cGPA 3.20, Absolutely Love the D.O. philosophy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edbtz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to thank you for taking the time to click on this thread. I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to make an account since I'm in desperate need of some advice.

So, I recently graduated this past May with a B.S. in Kinesiology. Before that, I went into college as an "undeclared" major and was like that for 3 years. I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do but during that time, I took the basic pre-reqs that most majors require you to take. It wasn't until my junior year that I realized I wanted to be a physician. From that point, I started taking the upper level sciences courses and did fairly well in them. I just messed up during my freshman year in college with freaking Gen chem. When I took it the first time I got a C- and being the clueless student I was back then, I decided to take it the following year a second time while I was taking 20 credits during that same semester. I ended up with a lower grade compared to my 1st attempt. Then I ended up taking it for the third and final time and received a B. I could not for the life of my understand Gen chem.

Aside from the disaster experience of Gen Chem, I had a really strong upward trend in my science classes only receiving one more C, which was in microbiology. I'm taking the MCAT July 22nd and aiming for a 508. As stated in the title, I really really really love the D.O. philosophy. I worked as a jeweler throughout my whole life and the experience of working with my hands really connected with me on the fact that D.O. was for me. So here is some info about me:

-Texas Resident
-First in family to go to college
-Shadowed a Neurologist (~60 hours) - Strong LOR from this physician
-Shadowed an Optometrist (~100 hours) - Another Strong LOR
-Volunteer at local hopsital (~200 hours and counting) Also another strong LOR from the chief nurse of the floor I worked on.
-ExxonMobil Green Team Volunteer (~350 Hours)
-Volunteer for local church, delivering food to families (~40 Hours)
-As stated, ran my family business which was a jewelry shop for about 8 years.

So what are my chances of D.O. guys? If I got a 508+ on my MCAT, do I have a shot on getting accepted to TCOM? or any other D.O. school? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

People with your sGPA get accepted to DO schools quite often but you need a strong MCAT to make up for it. A 508 would be enough to get into a DO school, but I'm not sure it will be good for TCOM. Aim for a 512.

People with your sGPA get accepted to DO schools quite often but you need a strong MCAT to make up for it. A 508 would be enough to get into a DO school, but I'm not sure it will be good for TCOM. Aim for a 512.

Thanks for your reply! IF I can't manage to get that MCAT score, what can I do to improve my chances for next years cycle? Ill obviously work to get a 510+ but other than that, what else can I do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up that the DO philosophy doesn't end up being any different than the MD philosophy in practice. Couple hundred extra hours of scientifically-iffy techniques that won't really play a role in your work as a doctor. Enjoying working with your hands as a jeweler doesn't mean that DO is more appropriate for you than MD. If you want to go DO, that's great, but for your own sake, don't walk into an interview saying that you're interested in DO because you'll get to work with your hands more so than MD, or because you want to treat patients holistically rather than treating symptoms. It'll just come across as ignorant and naive.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

Just a heads up that the DO philosophy doesn't end up being any different than the MD philosophy in practice. Couple hundred extra hours of scientifically-iffy techniques that won't really play a role in your work as a doctor. Enjoying working with your hands as a jeweler doesn't mean that DO is more appropriate for you than MD. If you want to go DO, that's great, but for your own sake, don't walk into an interview saying that you're interested in DO because you'll get to work with your hands more so than MD, or because you want to treat patients holistically rather than treating symptoms. It'll just come across as ignorant and naive.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

After re-reading what I typed, I realized I sounded like an absolute fool. Sorry, Rammadan and fasting for 16 hours does that to you. But what I meant to say is OMM really struck a cord inside of me. I've done a bunch of research on Osteopathy and even read books like "Osteopathy & the Zombie Apocalypse" to get a better understanding of what the area was all about.

I really really really love the D.O. philosophy

sGPA 3.06, cGPA 3.20

I'm sure this has nothing to do with it:whistle: JK. The philosophy only exists in pamphlets to the naive public, good medicine is good medicine. Aim for a 508+ and you should have a decent chance at getting into a DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
sGPA 3.06, cGPA 3.20

I'm sure this has nothing to do with it:whistle: JK. The philosophy only exists in pamphlets to the naive public, good medicine is good medicine. Aim for a 508+ and you should have a decent chance at getting into a DO school.
It's funny that 9 times out of 10 the ones in here on WAMC who hate to don't agree with the "DO Philosophy" are the ones with the lowest GPA's or MCAT. :rolleyes:

There definitely is a DO philosophy, as published by Dr. Andrew T. Still himself back in 1899. It's a wonderful read if you'd like to understand the origins.

However... The practice today is VERY different than what he originally had planned. There's nothing wrong with being fascinated with the DO philosophy, but be sure that you recognize that DO is not much different from MD these days, other than OMM/OMT and the tendency for many to practice in areas of primary care. If you are going to defend your fascination with the DO philosophy in your application and/or interview... make sure you read it first!

There are also some good reads that highlight the development of osteopathic medicine from where it originally began to where it is today. "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America" is a great example, which is just one that I would highly recommend.

Good luck OP!

Last edited:
There definitely is a DO philosophy, as published by Dr. Andrew T. Still himself back in 1899. It's a wonderful read if you'd like to understand the origins.

However... The practice today is VERY different than what he originally had planned. There's nothing wrong with being fascinated with the DO philosophy, but be sure that you recognize that DO is not much different from MD these days, other than OMM/OMT and the tendency for many to practice in areas of primary care. If you are going to defend your fascination with the DO philosophy in your application and/or interview... make sure you read it first!

There are also some good reads that highlight the development of osteopathic medicine from where it originally began to where it is today. "The DO's: Osteopathic Medicine in America" is a great example, which is just one that I would highly recommend.

Good luck OP!
Read "The Difference a DO Makes"

-Shadowed an Optometrist (~100 hours) - Another Strong LOR

Sorry for bringing back an older post, was just searching and came across this.

Does anyone know if using a letter of recommendation from an optometrist is a bad idea if one is applying to medical school? Especially if your only experience with the optometrist was shadowing. (they weren't your employer or anything). My pre-med advisor suggested that it seems to indicate that you don't know what you are applying to.