MD sGPA 3.5 cGPA 3.4 MCAT 88%-98% INTERNATIONAL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helloppl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just want to get some feedback on my chances of getting into any MD program this cycle (2015-2016). I am non-Canadian international student, and on top of that I'm non-trad. Currently in grad school (grad GPA 3.7). I have 4 publications as of now (one 1st author in a journal with 24.9 impact factor, one co-1st author in another journal with 5.6, and two 4-5th author papers in journals with 10.7 and 10.4). I have also written commentary for other papers. I'm working on submitting another manuscript right now and hopefully it will get accepted before I graduate in 2016.

I did undergrad in the states. My GPA started pretty bad but had an up-going trend. In both junior and senior years, 3 out of 4 classes I took were grad-level and I did pretty well in those classes. I had only 10 hours of shadowing experience in undergrad. In graduate school, the vast majority of time went into research. However, I did manage to shadow occasionally (but about 8 hours total). I attended clinical and academic seminars very often (at least once a week). I also took human pathology focus courses, which provided nice introduction to problems encountered in translational and clinical research. I had very little clinical volunteering experience. However, I played solo recitals every two year (which were quite some effort and preparation for concerts was extremely time-consuming) and all my performances were open to the community, and well appreciated by the audience. I also provided music at senior centers.

My current strategy is to apply to all MD schools that accept international students. Sorry for the lengthy post. But I really want to get some feedback on what to do. Any advice is very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Edit:

As an international that GPA is going to be ALOT to overcome, probably too much. For the DOs that take internationals however you are probably fine.

Let's see what the MCAT score comes out to first. With that GPA 95th+ percentile has to be the hope.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is that a Nature/Science/Cell paper? Your GPA is pretty subpar for international MD admissions, but a high MCAT and a first-author Nature paper might make a research-heavy MD school bite...

If it's just a review in one of those review journals with a massively inflated impact factor, then it's less impressive (still impressive to have a first-author pub though)

Is that a Nature/Science/Cell paper? Your GPA is pretty subpar for international MD admissions, but a high MCAT and a first-author Nature paper might make a research-heavy MD school bite...

If it's just a review in one of those review journals with a massively inflated impact factor, then it's less impressive (still impressive to have a first-author pub though)
A 24.9 impact factor would suggest something along the line of Lancet Oncology, Ann. Rev. Neurology, etc. Your Big 4 pubs would easily be in the 30+ range.

Source: http://admin-apps.webofknowledge.com/JCR/JCR?RQ=LIST_SUMMARY_JOURNAL