sGPA 3.54 cGPA 3.78 MCAT 32 URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms.Neurosurg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a African American Female who is economically disadvantaged with:
sGPA 3.54
cGPA 3.78
MCAT 32
2 years of research experience in neuroscience.
1 year of clinical shadowing
Medical Scribe
Biology tutor for High School Students
Volunteer for senior citizens facility.
Research in Spain as well as overcoming both my parents deaths in college which lead to a drop in GPA
Magna Cum Laude
Several other honor societies and Awards

What are my chances for MD/PhD as well as MD for the following schools:
Stanford University *
Yale *
Columbia *
Duke *
UMich- Ann Arbor*
NYU *
Northwestern *
Baylor
Ohio State
University Wisconsin Madison
University of Cincinati
Georgetown
UConn
Brown
LSU
Tulane

School marked with * are my reach schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
in terms of time commitment or ability to be accepted?
Do you aspire to running a lab? Writing grants?
This is how your program will measure your success.
Do you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you aspire to running a lab? Writing grants?
This is what your program will consider a success when you graduate.
Do you?
Is it possible that I PM you? Answering those questions will be a give away as to who I am

Is it possible that I PM you? Answering those questions will be a give away as to who I am
I may also be on the other side of your application, so I try to stay away from individualized counsel in which you could be identified...

Do you have publications? Presentations? You need to apply to more schools and add some mid-tiers to be honest, I think this list is reaching a bit. Unless you're a Louisiana resident, I'd remove LSU, same goes to Connecticut and UCONN.

Do you have publications? Presentations? You need to apply to more schools and add some mid-tiers to be honest, I think this list is reaching a bit. Unless you're a Louisiana resident, I'd remove LSU, same goes to Connecticut and UCONN.
What Mid-Tiers would you suggest I can only apply to 14 schools because thats the number I am allowed to apply for free. I am a Louisiana Resident.My undergraduate institution has a connection with UCONN. No publications. I have presented 7 times.

What Mid-Tiers would you suggest I can only apply to 14 schools because thats the number I am allowed to apply for free. I am a Louisiana Resident.My undergraduate institution has a connection with UCONN. No publications. I have presented 7 times.
What are my chances for MD/PhD as well as MD for the following schools:
Stanford University *
Yale *
Columbia *
Duke *
UMich- Ann Arbor*
NYU *
Northwestern *
Baylor
Ohio State
University Wisconsin Madison
University of Cincinati
Geirgetown
UConn
Brown
LSU
Tulane
Is the connection significant where it'll actually help?
I'm not an MD/PhD expert, so I'll have these suggestions from MD only perspective. Wait you mean 15 schools right? Can you try to add 5 more and pay for 5? Right now, 11 of the 15 are at least slight reaches or higher in my opinion. Either for obvious statistic reasons, there are a million applicants (G-town), or they reserve many seats for many undergrads (Brown). I understand that URM will help but you don't want to take your chances like that.

I'm not an adcom but these schools come to mind in terms of ones you should add:
Indiana, MCW, U Miami, Einstein, Jefferson, Wake, GWU (also gets a lot of apps), Rush, VCU.

Your list could work if you add 5 of these.

Is the connection significant where it'll actually help?
I'm not an MD/PhD expert, so I'll have these suggestions from MD only perspective. Wait you mean 15 schools right? Can you try to add 5 more and pay for 5? Right now, 11 of the 15 are at least slight reaches or higher in my opinion. Either for obvious statistic reasons, there are a million applicants (G-town), or they reserve many seats for many undergrads (Brown). I understand that URM will help but you don't want to take your chances like that.

I'm not an adcom but these schools come to mind in terms of ones you should add:
Indiana, MCW, U Miami, Einstein, Jefferson, Wake, GWU (also gets a lot of apps), Rush, VCU.

Your list could work if you add 5 of these.
So should I retake my MCAT?

You have a solid application. I'd suggest getting it in as early as possible. And you should definitely try to apply to more schools or if you're financially limited to the 15, choose only up to 5 reach schools. I wouldn't worry about retaking the MCAT yet because you have a very good chance of getting in this cycle, unless you absolutely want to get into those reach schools.

Oh no! Do NOT retake! Your application is solid but having arguably more than half of the schools your applying to as reaches isn't ideal. If I'm not mistaken:
Yale *
Columbia *
Duke *
UMich- Ann Arbor*
NYU *
Northwestern *
Baylor
Ohio State
All have MCAT averages of 35 or higher. If you want to do 15 only, I agree with @Misch Ievus and only have 5 reaches, maybe 6 or 7 at most. These schools above and Brown are all reach schools. Pick the 6 of these schools you love the most, LSU, Tulane, Georgetown, and 4 mid-tier schools (perhaps some I mentioned before), and two "safety" schools. Only a suggestion, do what you'd like in the end. You should get in, but you need to apply EARLY and SMARTLY.

Ok you just posted an updated list, I like that list better. @Goro @gyngyn suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys so much this has been so helpful. I was worried about this cycle but thanks to you all I think I will be accepted somewhere I actually want to be and not have to settle.

I would add Pritzker to your list ;)

I don't understand. Everything about this is medicore. sGPA+MCAT at 10th percentile, no posters or pubs... but people are recommending yale and stanford mstp? am i missing something?

No offense to OP or anything..

I don't understand. Everything about this is medicore. sGPA+MCAT at 10th percentile, no posters or pubs... but people are recommending yale and stanford mstp? am i missing something?

"Hello, I am a African American Female who is economically disadvantaged with: "

Actually all offense is taken. You may feel like my sGPA is mediocre, but I had 2 semesters of a 3.2 sGPA which brought my GPA down however my other semesters were 4.0 sGPA. I aced org, physics, and have a minor in biochemistry and sociology. I entered college already have completed calculus 3 which most pre-meds don't ever reach. I have presented 7 times and won first place 4 out of 7 times, and worked in a well respected neuroscience lab. I have shadowed in the field and worked as a medical scribe. My parents death took a toll on me and I am an only child that was adopted so I had no family to reach out too. I have overcame mental issues with the loss of my parents and have managed to still graduate with latin honors so excuse me if I am not your perfect candidate, but I am not applying to you. BTW the average MCAT for a AA regardless of the school is a 25. So as you my feel I am mediocre at best I actually have far exceeded what was possible. Oh and @skougess it's not the color of my skin it's my story. If I was any other race/ethnicity my story would be compelling, but as we have learned in these highly racial times it is so easy to justify the color of my skin and my worth instead of looking at my work ethic and understanding.

Reactions: 10 users
I think you'll do very well, OP. Congratulations on accomplishing all of that despite the setbacks.

Also, FYI, your MCAT is listed as 32 in the title but 33 in the post.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually all offense is taken. You may feel like my sGPA is mediocre, but I had 2 semesters of a 3.2 sGPA which brought my GPA down however my other semesters were 4.0 sGPA. I aced org, physics, and have a minor in biochemistry and sociology. I entered college already have completed calculus 3 which most pre-meds don't ever reach. I have presented 7 times and won first place 4 out of 7 times, and worked in a well respected neuroscience lab. I have shadowed in the field and worked as a medical scribe. My parents death took a toll on me and I am an only child that was adopted so I had no family to reach out too. I have overcame mental issues with the loss of my parents and have managed to still graduate with latin honors so excuse me if I am not your perfect candidate, but I am not applying to you. BTW the average MCAT for a AA regardless of the school is a 25. So as you my feel I am mediocre at best I actually have far exceeded what was possible. Oh and @skougess it's not the color of my skin it's my story. If I was any other race/ethnicity my story would be compelling, but as we have learned in these highly racial times it is so easy to justify the color of my skin and my worth instead of looking at my work ethic and understanding.

All I did was literally quote what you wrote...what I bolded is the reason people are suggesting top 10 schools. It's basically a fact that you wouldn't be competitive for them otherwise. I made no comment whatsoever on my opinion of URMs in the admission process!

I LOVE this. Such a classy response to modern ignorance. You will likely go far! Rooting for you! :):highfive::claps:

Last edited:
All I did was literally quote what you wrote...what I bolded is the reason people are suggesting top 10 schools. It's basically a fact that you wouldn't be competitive for them otherwise. I made no comment whatsoever on my opinion of URMs in the admission process!
I don't think it's necessarily safe to assume people are suggesting top schools because of her skin color( I mean, you could just ask the people making the suggestions ). I would also have to agree she has a very compelling and unique story. Not many people can go through what she did and still succeed. Medical schools have this thing called distance traveled and that also factors in to the admission process. That's similar to me assuming that you're rude and tacky just because you posted one comment I didn't like and that that's the reason why you're a reapplicant. I mean it probably played a role but it's not the only reason. ( I don't mean any offense by my latter comments I just wanted to show you how easy it is to come to generalizations that aren't necessarily true. While I do believe your first comment was tacky and your response was a little rude. )

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I don't think it's necessarily safe to assume people are suggesting top schools because of her skin color( I mean, you could just ask the people making the suggestions ). I would also have to agree she has a very compelling and unique story. Not many people can go through what she did and still succeed. Medical schools have this thing called distance traveled and that also factors in to the admission process. That's similar to me assuming that you're rude and tacky just because you posted one comment I didn't like and that that's the reason why you're a reapplicant. I mean it probably played a role but it's not the only reason. ( I don't mean any offense by my latter comments I just wanted to show you how easy it is to come to generalizations that aren't necessarily true. While I do believe your first comment was tacky and your response was a little rude. )
Spicy. I like it! Thanks I just think people have insecurities and try to project them on others.

That quote alone states your opinion of URM in the application process. If you can't see that from reading your own comment then you're not very perceptive, and based on that your opinion on where I have the possibility of being accepted is invalid.

@miamiheatfan @gyngyn @Goro I just received excellent info an alumnae from my undergrad institution is willing to provide assistance so i can apply to at least 10-15 additional schools so please if you have more schools to add to the list that Goro suggested or take some off it is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 4 users
15 more schools...OK, thinking that on.

My school, somewhere west of St Louis
You didn't list your state of residence, so all your state schools.
U VA
Albany
U Cincy
Baylor
U Chicago
Pitt
UCSD
Northwestern
Jefferson
Ohio State
U WI
U NC OR U WV
Harvard

BU
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Duke University
Einstein
Hofstra
Howard
Indiana
Jefferson
Loyola
LSUHSC
Meharry
Morehouse
Mt Sinai
New York University
Stanford
SUNY Stony Brook
Tulane
U Miami
UCLA
UCSF
University of Michigan— Ann Arbor
USC
Wake Forest University
Yale

@miamiheatfan @gyngyn @Goro I just received excellent info an alumnae from my undergrad institution is willing to provide assistance so i can apply to at least 10-15 additional schools so please if you have more schools to add to the list that Goro suggested or take some off it is greatly appreciated.
You are a candidate for any school in the country. Take a look at the MSAR and choose the ones that resonate.

Ha I was trying to avoid home but I'm a Louisiana Resident and I do miss my Gumbo.

15 more schools...OK, thinking that on.

My school, somewhere west of St Louis
You didn't list your state of residence, so all your state schools.
U VA
Albany
U Cincy
Baylor
U Chicago
Pitt
UCSD
Northwestern
Jefferson
Ohio State
U WI
U NC OR U WV
Harvard

BU
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Duke University
Einstein
Hofstra
Howard
Indiana
Jefferson
Loyola
LSUHSC
Meharry
Morehouse
Mt Sinai
New York University
Stanford
SUNY Stony Brook
Tulane
U Miami
UCLA
UCSF
University of Michigan— Ann Arbor
USC
Wake Forest University
Yale

You're pretty competitive, the schools I suggested earlier along with the schools Goro suggested, and all the schools you originally wanted to apply to, and that should be more than enough!