sGPA: 3.76, cGPA: 3.8, MCAT: 37, art student/animal nurse - help with schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OhHeyMargo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys -

I have a somewhat non-traditional background and am trying to figure out what I'm doing. Any thoughts are hugely appreciated!

- NY Resident
- Went to art school, did a thesis in photography and had two gallery shows, was able to take science courses in consortium with another school.
- sGPA: 3.76, cGPA: 3.8, MCAT: 37

EC's:

I actually initially thought I wanted to go to vet school:
- Worked 30 hours/week as a veterinary nurse during all four years of undergrad, full time in summers
- Health center intern at a zoo for one summer, ~ 180 hours

And then I realized I wanted to go to med school:
- Volunteered in pediatric ER enrolling kids in clinical trials, shadowing doctors, ~ 80 hours
- Attend rheumatology journal club and walk rounds each week with a physician, ~150 hours
- Consent patients for clinical trials run through our lab
- Taught mentally and physically disabled kids how to ride horses, ~ 80 hours

- 2.5 years of research, now full time, have independent project, 3 publications
- And some other art-related EC's

I'd love to stay in NYC, but if that's not possible, I'd be down with another metropolitan area, or back South, where I am originally from. A very tentative list:

Cornell
NYU
Columbia
UCSF
Mt. Sinai
Vanderbilt
Duke
Stanford
University of Southern California
Brown
Einstein
Dartmouth
UNC
Georgetown
George Washington
Tufts
BU
Stonybrook
SUNY Downstate
Virginia Commonwealth University

Are my top schools too reach-y? Should I apply to more schools that I would have a high chance of getting into? Thank you for any ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys -

I have a somewhat non-traditional background and am trying to figure out what I'm doing. Any thoughts are hugely appreciated!

- NY Resident
- Went to art school, did a thesis in photography and had two gallery shows, was able to take science courses in consortium with another school.
- sGPA: 3.76, cGPA: 3.8, MCAT: 37

EC's:

I actually initially thought I wanted to go to vet school:
- Worked 30 hours/week as a veterinary nurse during all four years of undergrad, full time in summers
- Health center intern at a zoo for one summer, ~ 180 hours

And then I realized I wanted to go to med school:
- Volunteered in pediatric ER enrolling kids in clinical trials, shadowing doctors, ~ 80 hours
- Attend rheumatology journal club and walk rounds each week with a physician, ~150 hours
- Consent patients for clinical trials run through our lab
- Taught mentally and physically disabled kids how to ride horses, ~ 80 hours

- 2.5 years of research, now full time, have independent project, 3 publications
- And some other art-related EC's

I'd love to stay in NYC, but if that's not possible, I'd be down with another metropolitan area, or back South, where I am originally from. A very tentative list:

Cornell
NYU
Columbia
UCSF
Mt. Sinai
Vanderbilt
Duke
Stanford
Brown
Einstein
Dartmouth
UNC
Georgetown
George Washington
Tufts
BU
Stonybrook
SUNY Downstate
Virginia Commonwealth University

Are my top schools too reach-y? Should I apply to more schools that I would have a high chance of getting into? Thank you for any ideas!

You have an excellent chance anywhere even your reach schools. I'd just add the other NY state schools.

With your stats, nothing is "reachy. Aim high! if you like NY, apply to all NY schools, and PA too. You can throw on some of the Ivies too, JHU, and Baylor

Cornell
NYU
Columbia
UCSF
Mt. Sinai
Vanderbilt
Duke
Stanford
Brown
Einstein
Dartmouth