1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SGU Aug 2011

Discussion in 'Saint George's University Forum (Sponsored)' started by Maybeleen, Oct 26, 2010.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Maybeleen

Maybeleen

SGU for the August 2011 entering class?
  2. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    aug class is competitive to get into but if you apply early with high stats (cgpa, sgpa, and mcat) you should be fine :)
  3. Maybeleen

Maybeleen

you mean the usual stats right? 3.0+ cgpa, 3.0+ sgpa, avg. 27 mcat?
  4. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    if you have those stats then :thumbup:
  5. MandMs

MandMs

hello

Im close to graduating from Texas Tech University with a B.S. in Cell and Molecular Biology w/ a minor in Chemistry.

Im gonna graduate a good gpa. A 3.28 with the amcas calculation. I had several retakes, really screwed up on the college courses I took while still in highschool, had a 1.7, glad thats behind me lol.

25s mcat

3.14 science gpa

decent lor's

Good amount of exc's, I dont know how much emphasis in put on these, but...

.Alpha Kappa Psi – Pledge Class Vice President of Finance.
    .College Republicans of Texas Tech.
    .Young Conservatives of Texas.
    .Double T Health Service Corps.
    .Beta Beta Beta.
    .Alpha Epsilon Delta – Premed honors society.
    .Health Occupations Students of America.

and of course volunteer experience in an E.R.

Im extremely stressed about med school admissions, medicine is my passion and I don't have any alternative career plans. any help would be great.
  6. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    your stats are good :thumbup: but i would suggest for you to apply to jan class. aug tends to be competitive. if you can improve your mcat score, i say you will be fine :)
  7. MandMs

MandMs

Thanks Richard. How early should I apply? Also do you know if I will be interviewed in my state or would I have to travel to the campus? Timeline wise I wanted to know.
  8. cravechocolate

cravechocolate

Here are my stats. I was wondering what my chances were. I am currently an undergrad Senior majoring in Biological Sciences

GPA = 2.85 (i might be able to bring it up to roughly 2.9ish or maybe a little higher by the time I finish my last year)
    MCAT. 24
    Great LOR's
    Campus Employment/involvement
    Hospital Employment/experience
    volunteering experience
    research experience
    2 Honor Societies
    Great Essay
    Physician Shadowing

How does it look?
  9. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    you should submit the application before the end of this year. most of the time, there will be alumni graduates practicing or residents doing rotations in your state (if you're living for instance CA, NJ, NY, etc.) so you won't have to travel. but there are always exceptions so be sure to be ready to travel (the adcom will try to make the best accommodations for you).
  10. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    what is your sgpa cravechocolate?
  11. ribozyme

ribozyme

will an MCAT save your application. I have good EC's such as working with a doctor at a homeless shelter but my GPA is much lower than I hoped it would be. It is a 2.7 when i thought I was going to be a 3.0. I am freaking out because I think i have just killed my chances at St.George's. Would a MCAT of a 30 save me. Would I still have a chance with a 25?
  12. cravechocolate

cravechocolate

my science gpa is 2.5. why does this matter?
  13. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    your sgpa matters because adcom carefully takes a look at this especially if you're a bio major. since your science gpa is not high with the mcat not too good you might be offered foundations or mph. best thing would be then to retake the mcat or get your gpa to 3.0. consider smp or post-bac too.
  14. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    extracurriculars are not really significant during the admission process. after interviews, extracurriculars might be taken into account to make the final decision. but up to the interview or getting an interview really depends on your gpa and mcat. ribozyme-get a high mcat and improve your gpa to 3.0 range.
  15. cravechocolate

cravechocolate

What is foundations? I know MPH. Can I request foundations during the app cycle?
  16. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    foundations is an one semester program. If you achieve a 3.2 GPA then you get to matriculate into the school of medicine. foundation students are asked to take anatomy, neurophys, biochem, and other bio classes. you can't apply directly to the foundations program. instead of acceptance for med school, adcom will offer you foundations.
  17. Maybeleen

Maybeleen

ya that's one of the best things about foundations. gurantee spot for medical school. well same thing can be said for the pre-med program. lot of times ppl confuse between foundations and premed.
  18. MandMs

MandMs

is the mandatory essay the same topic and how much time do I have?
  19. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    same topic. check the interview feedback on sdn. some of the recent interviewees posted what they thought of the essay. you usually get 10 min but anything can go. as in you will more likely be given more time but 10 min is what you should think of.
  20. cravechocolate

cravechocolate

Is there honor society like AOA in SGU?
    If so what are the requirements?
  21. schroon

schroon

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    To those posters that have been accepted for August 2011 please provide a summary of their qualifications including MCATs, undergrad & grad GPAs.

Thanks.
  22. Maybeleen

Maybeleen

29R on the mcat
    undegrad gpa 3.6
  23. coralis

coralis

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    there is it called IEA and the requirements are as follows:
    1) a 4.0 in term 1 or
    2) a 3.5 GPA after term 1 up to 3rd year (although that is in the process of changing/or has changed this term

Your GPA (especially sGPA) and MCAT are way low for SGU, I would suggest retaking the MCAT and maybe some more science classes to bring up your GPA.

Good luck
  24. jacobmarcs

jacobmarcs

whoa 4.0 during term1? dang. straight As is pretty tight
  25. MandMs

MandMs

It is med school. Everyone studies hard.
  26. lifespan

lifespan

Pre-Medical
    hey guys,
    I am sitting at a 3.7 something gpa and a 29P (first) and a 27 R (retake) MCAT scores. What are my chances for the August class?
  27. Maybeleen

Maybeleen

Strong chance for Aug. If you're worried about your retake MCAT being lower than the first, don't sweat it. The adcom will look at your higher score. However they might ask you during the interview what happened.
  28. ynsp

ynsp

accepted Aug 2011! see all you acceptees there! to all others, best of luck!!
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  29. schroon

schroon

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ynsp--

Congratulations on your acceptance.

Good luck; knock em' dead.

Any others August 2011 stats?

Thanks.
  30. icealice

icealice

both science and combined gpa 3.2. 30q
  31. UBCvan

UBCvan

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    accepted to Aug 2011.

3.8 GPA + 26M (10-6-10)

what bothers me is that they said that they have put me in the "English Enhancement Program" ...what the hell is that? Just because I got a 6 on verbal?

I don't even know what it is or how it works?

They just proved to me that all they care about is to make money out of their students. That's sad.
  32. Maybeleen

Maybeleen

Not sure if English Enhancement Program is the same as Academic Enhancement Program (AEP)? If it is then AEP is basically the following provided by the Department of Educational Services at SGU:

"SGU’s Academic Enhancement Program (AEP) is a retention initiative implemented in the Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine. The Committee on Admissions believes that a student will be successful in their academic endeavor at SGU but have also determined that the student may benefit through enrollment in AEP; it simply provides the student with additional guidance and resources during their first year of medical school. Students are placed into the program for a variety of reasons, the most common of which are low undergraduate GPA, low MCAT scores, being out of school for an extended period of time prior to beginning medical school, coming from a non-US education system, or speaking English as a second language. The Committee feels that these students are capable of handling the rigors of medical school but may need more guidance in developing a successful approach to managing the workload.

Placement in the AEP is for Terms One and Two in Medicine or Veterinary Medicine. The AEP is NOT a reduced-load program or a decelerated program; it is for Terms 1 and 2. The student is enrolled in the regular, full academic program in medical school, but is mandated to participate in additional learning activities. Most students in AEP traditionally perform just as well (if not better) than their non-AEP counterparts. In fact, students frequently ask to be placed in the program once they learn of the benefits it provides.

Shortly after Academic Orientation in Grenada, AEP students will attend an AEP Orientation meeting where details regarding the program are outlined. Students are required to attend this orientation and to occasionally meet with their AEP Coordinator (after the first unified quiz, after mid-term exams, etc.) in the Department of Educational Services (DES). These meetings give you the opportunity to discuss the approach to your studies, discuss your perspective on your performance on exams and on that basis, to tweak your tailored AEP requirements, if needed.

AEP Students are required to attend 1 closed AEP review session (restricted to AEP students only - either Anatomy or Biochemistry) AND one regular DES review session (open to all students) per week. Students can attend more if they choose but one AEP and one DES are mandatory; attendance is tracked by DES for the Dean of Students Office. AEP review sessions are “closed” to other students to keep the groups small while DES review groups are open to all students. All review groups are peer-facilitated by senior students. Currently, in Spring ’09, there are 134 AEP / DES review groups running that meet weekly so there are lots of resources!

DES also offers a Learning Strategies program for advice on time management, test-taking strategies, study methods, etc; a Specialized English Language Program for enhancing communication for the medical professions; small group tutorials, and more. All students, AEP and non-AEP, are welcome to take advantage of any of these resources.

The IAP (Individualized Advancement Program), which is completely separate from the AEP, is a second retention initiative in the Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine. This program allows existing students to reduce their courseload by taking 2 terms to complete 1 term of coursework, while utilizing resources in DES to refine studying techniques, time management, and test-taking skills."
  33. PrettylilDoc

PrettylilDoc

My Stats are: 3.7 cum gpa, 3.7 sci gpa, 24 MCAT, clinical, research, leadership experience, I should be submitting my app in a few days what do you think my chances are for the August class? Thanks for the help :)
  34. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes submit your application as soon as possible. Your stats are good for August class :thumbup:
  35. PrettylilDoc

PrettylilDoc

Thank you Richardh :) I hope everything works out.
    I want an MD more than anything and I love how SGU will give me that opportunity when others wouldn't :xf:
  36. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    no prob :thumbup: wishing you good luck :)
  37. UBCvan

UBCvan

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    thanks for this..well I guess it's not an individual semester which is good:thumbup:
  38. MUPrincess24042

MUPrincess24042

Pre-Medical
    I am applying fir the fall of 2011, I have a 3.38 cgpa 3.3 sgpa and am taking the mcat at the end of January. I have been scoring around a 24 but I still have a full month to study. I have over three years os research experience, shadowing experience in the or, volunteered in as a cna, and an emtb. What do you think my chances are?
  39. ribozyme

ribozyme

Haven't applied yet but called the office and explained my stats to them. My gpa is 2.7 while my mcat is 25. Was told I would be considered for foundations program unless I raise my gpa to 3.0 range. Since your gpa is in that range guessing you have a shot. But I would choose Jan over Aug.
  40. MUPrincess24042

MUPrincess24042

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for replying, Is that because Jan is less competitive then aug?
  41. ribozyme

ribozyme

Yea Jan is less competitive than Aug. But you still have time to improve your MCAT.
  42. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    You will be strong for Jan 2012 :) If you still wish to apply for Aug 2011, I would suggest you to apply for GSP program instead of Grenada program :thumbup:
  43. vascsurgeon

vascsurgeon

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Im a senior bio major in the midwest.
    GPA: 3.12
    sGPA: 3.40
    MCAT1 : 28M - 11PS 8VR 9BS
    MCAT2: 27Q - 9PS 8VR 10BS
    Lots of volunteering in USA and in India
    3yrs of research
    lots of shadowing (urology, general surgery, cardiology)

I applied for the KBT Scholars program. My application is complete as of yesterday.

What are my chances??? Someonee...plz evaluate me!! :confused:
  44. PrettylilDoc

PrettylilDoc

Hey Guys! Once we exit the screen that says "Buy now" for the application fee is there no other way to pay via credit card? Thanks!
  45. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Unless things have changed, the application fee can be paid through credit card or money order (which you can mail it along with your signature page, passport photo).

If you by accident exit the screen for payment, you can log back in and pay by credit card (because I think your application is incomplete unless you pay).
  46. CrunchBox11

CrunchBox11

Medical Student
    You would definitely be considered a good candidate for the KBT program along with the Grenada program :)

If your application was just recently completed, I would just be patient and wait to see how things develop. Good luck!!
  47. ynsp

ynsp

i think it is the same thing, but i'm not positive. they put students in it for the reasons bolded in the quote.

they put me in the AEP too i think because i will have been out of school for a year prior to beginning med school.

48. GSPstudent

GSPstudent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Even if you apply now for August, you may get wait-listed and rolled over to the January class, so you may as well try. Are you interested in KBTGSP at all? That may help too!
  49. GSPstudent

GSPstudent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    SGU has an honors society, IEA, you need to maintain a 3.5 GPA to join as well as stay in.

50. StallionSupreme

StallionSupreme

Medical Student
    I finished my undergrad in May.

I applied for Fall 2010 to bunch of US schools and SGU only for Caribbean. I didnt get into any US schools but SGU waitlisted me for August and accepted me for January 2011. I decided to work for clinical trials at this year and reapply for August 2011 turning down my acceptance for January class. They only needed my transcript with degree for review. I got a call yesterday from the advisor saying I got accepted and the letter arrived in mail today! :)

cGPA: 3.34
    sGPA: 3.4
    MCAT: PS-12, BS-11, VR-9, W-M (once)

Biochem major
    okay LoRs
    some volunteering
    some physician shadowing
    two semesters of research
    physics and microbio ta
    working part time all year round