Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

SGU c/o 2016 Applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by drwildlife, 10.01.11.

1. drwildlife

drwildlife SGU Class of 2017?

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I haven't seen one of these threads yet so I thought I would start it. Everyone's probably going to get tired of my posts soon :p

Just curious if those wishing to start in Fall of 2012 have already submitted applications or are still working on them?
  2. jmo1012

jmo1012 SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    woohoo SGU!! :D
  3. caligirl03

caligirl03

Pre-Veterinary
    Nope I havent started mine and I am planning on applying for August 2012. Have you applied yet???
  4. jemappellejane

jemappellejane #stinkasaurus

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I will be applying for August admission as well. Only if I don't get into any of the state schools this year!
  5. drwildlife

drwildlife SGU Class of 2017?

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have not applied yet because I was going to give my reference peoples some time to take a break haha. I don't want to drive them too crazy!

I have most out it done though. I just need to get references, send transcripts, and finish a few odds and ends.
  6. caligirl03

caligirl03

Pre-Veterinary
    when does everyone plan on applying??? Like what month??? I'm thinking like March or April!!! This is my number one chose though so I really want to get in.
  7. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would apply late jan/feb depending upon what you've heard from US schools. I applied at the end of Feb and had an answer by early May, which was good for planning for the summer and booking flights (although the earlier you know the better you can do with flights)
  8. Jeff SGU

Jeff SGU New Member

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    January /February is a good time to apply for the August class. Don;t wait much longer than that, as I am quite certain the class is going to fill up earlier this cycle. Applications are already coming in for the August 2012 class.

I noticed someone in this thread if from Rochester, NY. We have to touch base. I grew up in Chili.

9. Lambgirl

Lambgirl

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Are there any January 2012 people out there?
  10. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Jeff! That's me!! We PMed a few times several months back... I've been crazy busy submitting VMCAS but I am still planning on applying to SGU, especially now that you're accredited!!! PM me anytime. PS I'm a Henrietta girl :D
  11. PppermintTwist

PppermintTwist

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If we send out applications now for 2012 will we find out sooner or do they wait to look at them? If you know. I'd really like to go to SGU and I'd like to find out acceptance for state schools and SGU around the same time

How do you find housing in Grenada? and about how much does it cost for rent a month, and food? Im trying to decide which school will be the most cost effective to go to...
    :)
  12. sbrdvm

sbrdvm SGU SVM c/o 2015!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes they do start looking at them right away...i took me about 2 months from the time I hit send until the time that I found out that I was accepted. You can find housing on the post which you cant access until after you have been accepted or their is some apartments that you can find with google. as far as cost goes I would say that you will spend some where between 800-1200 a month and that is for utilities too...I have seen some places that go for cheeper and some places that go for way more...where I will be staying next term is 1000 USD and that includes everything. As far as food goes i spend about 40 USD a week at the store...yes something are more expensive than back home such as cookies and ice cream...cookies i get them anyways and ice cream i just do without...If you have any more questions just ask or PM me and i will try to help or find out for you....GOOD LUCK!!!
  13. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    took me 10 weeks from submission to acceptance

living on campus is about $4k per semester, otherwise i think sbrdvm has a pretty accurate description of off campus

the school and current students can help you find off campus housing if you accept here
  14. caligirl03

caligirl03

Pre-Veterinary
    what is the class schedule like at SGU?? What time do you go to school from and until??
  15. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ooph where do i begin to try and describe this?

lets see:

anatomy lab M-W 9a-12p
    histo lab F either 8-10 or 10-12
    radiology lab most TH from 8-11 (we're still working out the kinks in this one though)
    intro to research lecture TH 11-12
    classes 1-4 or 1-5 M-TH sometimes varies just never past 5
    F depends on where you are in the semester. some times you have class from 1-5, sometimes you have 1 class at 1 or 2, and sometimes theres just a lab in the afternoon.

9 classes in term 1-but the 1 credits kinda rotate throughout the semester (a couple weeks of each at a time)

and on a totally unrelated note, i found a hermit crab on the beach today on campus :D
  16. caligirl03

caligirl03

Pre-Veterinary
    wow that sounds intense but at least you don't go past 5 which is good......P.S. I really like your blog doctorinthesand...it's really good and has a lot of good insight keep it up!!!!!:D
  17. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i'm pretty sure thats average for a vet school schedule. here, labs and classes flip for even terms (i.e. class in the morning lab in afternoon)

and i'm glad you like my blog, its a lot of fun to write!
  18. MonkeyPoo

MonkeyPoo Awesome Member

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would apply as early as possible! It is soooo stressful to find out you got in and only have 20 days til term starts! I am currently an SGU SVM student lemme know if you have questions!
    Good luck!
  19. LTran562

LTran562

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have a question for you MonkeyPoo! I'm trying to get everything together at the moment for apps to SGU and Ross. I have 2 people willing to write LoRs for me, one veterinarian that i shadowed just under 100 hours with and a university professor who was my counselor and my professor for an upper div bio course. I am confused as to how I am supposed to compile everything together for the application process. Do I send these things in separately? Or altogether? I am still working on my 2 essays required for the application and am waiting for my GRE scores which wont come out until mid November (GRE revision). My letter writers are asking me where to send the letters out to. Should I have them send it to the 2 schools before everything else in my application is not finished? Also, what if there was no official documentation from when I volunteered and had animal experience? I'm so confused with the app process and any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
  20. MonkeyPoo

MonkeyPoo Awesome Member

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Im pretty sure they keep everything as it comes in and they 'start a file' for all your stuff. it should say on the application where to send the letter to. a great person to contact is Jeffrey Bates or Krista Nilson. they are HUGE help in the entire process. Or there is a line where you can call a student representative at certain hours- and they know quite a bit also. breathe! i hope that helps a little bit....
    I didnt have any documentation of my experience I dont think... what are they asking for?
  21. LTran562

LTran562

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ok maybe I misinformed you when I wrote "official documentation" on my previous post, because on this website, (http://www.sgu.edu/school-of-veterinary-medicine/admissions-process.html) it states: "A documented period of farm experience and/or some time spent in a veterinary medical practice." Maybe it's just saying to put roughly how many hours of animal/vet experience I've accumulated?
    Thanks so much for the response. I have everything coming in at different times so I was just utterly confused about how to submit everything. I gave Jeffery Bates a call earlier but he was out of the office already (Eastern Time I suppose). Would you recommend that I work on the online application right now without all of my documentation in hand? I was going to open up the application earlier but I wasn't sure if I should or not. Anyway, just wanted to thank you again for the help!
  22. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    they totally have a template for what they mean-they sent it to me originally. and yes, they compile everything as it comes in. when your file is "complete" it goes to committee
  23. Jeff SGU

Jeff SGU New Member

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Sorry I missed your call. I ave been doing a ton of traveling lately.

The letters of recommendations can be sent directly to us by the people writing them for you, or given to you in a sealed envelope with the author's signature written on the back. We require two, BUT the review board will read up up to five so if you have them, definitely send them in.

The work documentation page is just a word document listing the places you have worked/volunteered, their contact info, a very brief description of your duties there, and how many hours you spent there.

I'm in the office all day today, Thursday, away on Friday, and then back in the office on Monday, so feel free to call me with any questions.

24. MonkeyPoo

MonkeyPoo Awesome Member

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi jeff! Youre fabulous, just to let you know...
  25. LTran562

LTran562

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks so much for the help guys I really appreciate it. And thanks Jeff for helping me out on the phone today. It was very informative and I'm not feeling entirely lost anymore.
  26. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    bump.

Anyone officially applied for August 2012 yet?
    I'm working on finishing mine up now.
  27. PppermintTwist

PppermintTwist

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've been working on mine off and on. Going to try and finish this month
  28. bbeventer

bbeventer Illinois 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I sent in my "application" today but have not sent all the little tidbits yet. Do we need to send a current copy of our passport...? Mine is sorta... expired :oops:
  29. PppermintTwist

PppermintTwist

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My guess would be that you should renew your passport. Maybe someone who is a student there would know for sure.
  30. fromthebox

fromthebox SGU DVM/MPH 2017

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would start the renewal process now, regardless of whether you need a current one for the app - they can take up to 10 or more weeks to be processed!!
  31. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i sent a note (literally a little post it note) with my app saying that if i was accepted I would apply and receive a passport before starting school. wasnt going to spend all that money on a passport if i wasnt going to be doing any international travelling any time soon :)

unless you're applying for jan 2012, you probably don't need to rush out and renew or apply for a passport. you have some time-i applied for mine in june and had it in plenty of time :)
  32. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey jmo1012- when did you apply to SGU and when did you get accepted? Did you apply to other schools too? If so, how long did you wait before accepting SGU?? Thanks :p
  33. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i applied at the very end of February and was accepted in early may. i applied to other schools and had heard back from all by the time i was accepted in may so i didnt have any conflicts.

for ross and sgu, you only get a few weeks to accept your offer. at that time you have to put a deposit (~$400) down that is non-refundable.
  34. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Eeep really?? That is disconcerting. SGU says that the earlier you apply, the better, but I want to wait to hear back from other schools before I accept (if i get in)... hmmm. May have to rethink when I apply. Thanks for the useful info :)
  35. LTran562

LTran562

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    with the application deadline for the spring class just days away, i am still missing transcripts ive ordered weeks ago, havent received all of my letters yet, and still find my personal statement weak. ive decided to hold off on applying to the spring class and save it for fall. although i still wanted to try to apply for spring, i feel like i wouldn't have been ready for it. there's just so little time between now and the middle of january for me to pack up my life and move down to grenada (given if i get accepted of course). anyway i just wanted to rant a little. i am frustrated but relieved at the same time. to those who applied for the spring term, good luck!
  36. FutureDVM2016

FutureDVM2016

Pre-Veterinary

Do you have a passport??

<thats all you need ;) hehehee>
  37. LTran562

LTran562

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yeah i have my passport.
  38. FutureDVM2016

FutureDVM2016

Pre-Veterinary
    Then what are you waiting for? lol :D
  39. LTran562

LTran562

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i feel like i need to give myself more time before finding out i get accepted to actually going to school. time to prepare, pack, handle loans, know what im going to do with car payments, rent.. uggh there's so much. i just feel like i need more time. is it that bad to want to matriculate into the fall class instead of spring? im stuck in limbo here (not the kinda limbo like inception)
  40. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    nah, if you want more time to prep so that you're not stressed at the last second, then definitely hold off :) there are certainly pros and cons to starting in the spring and the fall so i wouldnt worry about wanting one more than the other. take your time, present a good application, and go from there-SGU only gets better and better as time passes (new changes and improvements are made every year :))
  41. FutureDVM2016

FutureDVM2016

Pre-Veterinary
    No no no lol... I was just teasing :) I'm just so excited... I'm waiting til Feb to apply there, but I don't graduate with my 4 year until June, so I have to wait til fall. I was pretending to be spontaneous ;) lol... take your time, apply when you are ready :thumbup: It's always better to make big transitions when you are ready

Sorry if I made you worry, I'm kind of sarcastic sometimes :)
  42. LTran562

LTran562

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    lol oh man you almost made me pull the trigger! but yeah i am gonna work on making my application better. just worried the application pool will be a lot more competitive for fall matriculation.. which im almost positive it will be. anyway you should be excited. i read jmo's blog and it amps me up every time! :)
  43. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    it might be, but the key to heading that off is to apply "early"-don't wait till near may or june to apply (if you can get it in by mid-Jan that would be fantastic!)
  44. FutureDVM2016

FutureDVM2016

Pre-Veterinary
    LOL... we'll be going through it together then :) Good luck!
  45. deg5030

deg5030 SGU c/o 2016 :)

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Any Jan 2012 applicants out there?
  46. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    fyi i heard from Jeff the other day, and if you are accepted to August 2012, you don't have to tell them right away if you are taking the offer. I've heard from people that you only have 2 weeks to make up your mind, but this isn't true! Jeff said that the school knows that people wait to hear from other schools before making a decision, so don't think you have to tell them right away.
  47. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    mm to be safe i'd let them know you want more time though-my offer/deposit was definitely due 2 weeks later! (i.e. it had a date that I had to return it by on it)
  48. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yeah, i mean, it's definitely a good idea to tell them, for sure! Maybe yours was due 2 weeks later because you applied later in the cycle...? who knows. I was just worried about submitting my application so soon, but Jeff said to go ahead and submit whenever...
  49. deg5030

deg5030 SGU c/o 2016 :)

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Lightly excited to say I will have an upcoming interview, just waiting on the when and where :)
  50. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    congrats!!

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal