About the ads

SGU c/o 2016 Applicants

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by drwildlife, Oct 1, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Jadzia

Jadzia

Pre-Veterinary

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    No worries Drwildlife, went Krista initially emailed me she said after the interview they woul wait until the receive my final grades before accepting me. I think its just a formality to ensure you don't fail out your last semester. That's really amazing about your tiger recordings too, think of all the great work your doing for those noble creatures.
    Congrats jemappellejane!
    Does anyone know where we can find more information about shipping barrels or trunks down? How much does that normally cost?
  2. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I'm told that most students use a company called Amerijet. Just contact them and ask what the price and protocol is for shipping things to the island. I'm sure they will be able to help you out.
  3. BadgerBookworm

BadgerBookworm

Pre-Veterinary
    So I've been living in Madison on my own for the past 4 years while my parents are off working in England (ya they left me here :p ) and now that I know I am going to SGU...I've begun to realize how much junk I have! I will be able to store some stuff but will most likely be relying on space relatives offer me.Talk about downsizing...I'm donating at least 3 garbage bags of clothes! It is at the same time both daunting and kinda freeing! Is anyone else going to have to get rid of a bunch of stuff?

The more time goes on the more excited I am about going! :D
  4. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I live in Tallahassee. As soon as I graduate in April, I'm selling everything in my house. I'll have a few boxes of small personal trinkets I'd like to keep. Otherwise, I'm donating most clothes that I am not taking to SGU. I'm saving the winter stuff though to take home. All my furniture will be sold or given away. Same goes for my artwork, car, kitchenware, etc. I plan on just using Craigslist.org to sell or give away all my stuff. I've used it many times before and it has always been a quick way to get rid of stuff and make some money.
  5. jemappellejane

jemappellejane #stinkasaurus

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just filled about 4 bags of clothes this weekend. My boyfriend and I are going to do the long distance thing (yikes... I'm so scared!) so my thugs are going to stay put in our apartment And/or go into storage. I'm a little frightened at the thought of leaving him responsible for the apt... I'm afraid I will come home to a dirty bachelor pad!! I'm not 100% that I'm going to SGU yet, but I'm preparing nonetheless. I've been such an emotional roller coaster these past few days...
  6. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh don't even get me started on the long distance thing... I'm definitely going to SGU in August and let's just say my girlfriend has been less than supportive... Hang in there! Everything will work out :)
  7. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Z I'm so glad you decided!! How exciting. My boyfriend was veeeeeery skeptical in the beginning when I considered applying. Now that our relationship and trust in each other has grown, he is encouraging me to chase my dream. Ugh, it's just going to break my heart, but I'm also sooo excited! Currently I'm accepted for the vet foundation semester, but I'm really hoping my grades this semester will allow me to be bumped up tab start te DVM program in August. I'd love to join you, Z!

I'm also wondering about breaks: do most students fly home twice a year? (for each break?)
  8. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I also said thugs in my previous post. Gotta put my thugs in storage. LOL! THINGS, people. THINGS. Damn you, autocorrect.
  9. jmo1012

jmo1012 SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    short answer is yes, the long answer is it sorta depends. most leave for the summer as there is little to do on the island. no campus housing and difficult to get a job. those in a dual masters program must stay, and a few students get low paying jobs at the school clinic for the summer. winter break is a little different. most leave but more stay for finances and such. also, 2 one week courses are offered the last 2 weeks of break so a lot of students come back early for those (fish med and either pocket pets, reptiles, or birds depending on the year). again students can work in the clinic over break and those who stay tend to pet sit (no on campus housing)
  10. Love4Animals

Love4Animals

Pre-Veterinary
    So how do you like it there!? Is it a lot of hands on learning? Have you gotten the chance to travel around the island such as hiking etc. ? I know... so many questions but I am a very outdoorsy person and would definitely want to try to fit stuff like that in the busy schedule of studying. I'm just curious about it all! I am reading that blog you suggested and it's great! So thank you very much.
  11. Love4Animals

Love4Animals

Pre-Veterinary
    I feel as if I have a million questions to ask you!! Thank you so much for offering me information about bringing pets there. It's just not an option for me to leave them behind... I am new to this whole forum thing...so I don't know if there is a way for me to message you elsewhere or if you have an e-mail you would like to give me....or I could just ask you through this. Whichever you prefer. Thank you again!
  12. Love4Animals

Love4Animals

Pre-Veterinary
    Long distance is POSSIBLE! Sorry to butt in the conversation, but I thought it would make you feel better. I live in Georgia in the U.S. and my boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years. 2 & 1/2 years he lived here but then he had to move to Mississippi to go to Law School. He will be coming home in May and we have lasted for the whole 3 years while he was away. I saw him on avg. every 3-4 months. It sucks because if I get accepted to SGU, he will be coming home and I'll be leaving...but if you want it bad enough, you both can make it work! It's a good relationship if you both support each other chasing each one's dreams and support them along the way! You can do it!
  13. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks for the info jmo. I kinda planned on wanting to come home for both breaks, but it's gonna get pricey. I looked up flights and $900 seems to be pretty average for round trip. That's another question, do you buy a round trip ticket when you go down for the term??

Love4animals, thank you so much for the insight. I know we can do it, but man, I am not looking forward to missing him so much...
  14. sbrdvm

sbrdvm SGU SVM c/o 2015!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  15. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thats my blog, so i'm gonna have to say it pretty much sums up my entire experience here so far :) yes i like it. the physical diagnosis classes and volunteer work go nicely with our lecture classes. you'd definitely be able to get out and about as long as you budget your time well. i sort of do when i'm not too lazy/too busy-this semester has kept me extremely busy all the time unfortnately
  16. Love4Animals

Love4Animals

Pre-Veterinary
    So I got an e-mail today saying they granted me an interview!! Now I just have to wait for an e-mail saying when this interview will be! Do you know the avg. amount of time it takes to find out the date of your interview!?
  17. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    any time from next week to a few weeks from now has been what i've heard of. that being said, you're going to get the name of who is interviewing you, then you will contact them and set up a date.
  18. Love4Animals

Love4Animals

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you for all the info! Excited and nervous. I hope it all goes well! Do most people get interviews granted? I'm just hoping this is a good sign. Thank you for all your advice and help!
  19. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't worry. The interview is pretty simple. You'll write a quick 10min essay, which I recommend knowing what you'd like to write about beforehand, followed by a real casual talk with an SGU graduate about the school. Easy!
  20. Love4Animals

Love4Animals

Pre-Veterinary
    So just found out my interview is Saturday, March 31! It would be this weekend but I'm in a wedding :( I'm so anxious!
  21. Flutestar72733

Flutestar72733

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When they sent this did you happen to check what your page said and if it was still missing things. I sent my application in on March 8...My birthday....and the status page still says missing everything and no one from admissions ha gotten back to me starting to worry.
  22. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You should definitely call the office. They are more than helpful. Make sure to check with your school to make sure your transcripts got sent. Check with ETS to make sure your GRE got sent. And then call SGU to make sure they didn't just mess up on updating your status page. Mine updated pretty shortly after receiving each of my application materials.
  23. Flutestar72733

Flutestar72733

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Do you know how long it took for your materials to arrive? I sent them the last of the documents last tuesday and not sure if it goes to SGU or the representative here so wasn't sure if i needed to worry just yet.
  24. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think it just goes to representatives in I believe New York. Standard mail should take like a week. Like I said, it won't hurt your chances to call and find out. You can always ask them to estimate how long they think each material generally takes to arrive.
  25. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Who here is on the FB August 2012 page? ZPearl, I saw you on there. I recently joined. I'm getting so anxious- I really REALLY want to start the DVM program in August and not have to do this foundation semester.... I'm being reevaluated at the end of this semester to see if they will bump me up :xf::xf::xf:
  26. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck!!! Yeah I'm all over the August Incoming Class page. Its SOOOO helpful with every question you could imagine about attending SGU and life in Grenada. I love that page.
  27. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah, it's awesome. I already started making a list of stuff to bring, and I haven't even sent my deposit in yet! :eek:
  28. ianjw

ianjw

Pre-Veterinary
    I was just told there wasn't a page for the incoming c/o 2012-2016. If there is, is there way I can receive the link? I've been accepted and just tryin to get everything set up.

Thanks,

Ian
  29. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hahaha I have a list of stuff too! I compiled a list from the stuff the people on facebook said to bring and another list of the stuff SGU said to bring... And now I'm just trying to find a way to fit it all in my bags at an acceptable airline weight!

Oh and for other accepted students, you should receive the link to the group soon but here it is regardless:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/155104694584854/
  30. Flutestar72733

Flutestar72733

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    They have officially received everything. It still says incomplete for final review but im still excited and anxious. I hope it goes well!!
  31. BadgerBookworm

BadgerBookworm

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm on the incoming class page as well...I'm the one who wants to work with monkeys :D

Even if you don't post tons of questions it is super helpful just reading through what people have to say. It's definitely helped with a couple freak out moments when thinking about living down there and getting there.

Good luck on your interviews!
  32. Flutestar72733

Flutestar72733

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got an interview for the Foundations program. Im was so excited when i read the first sentence that i could not focus on reading the rest of the long email and had to reread it 3 times. Even though this program isn't what i wanted im willing to do it especially since some people have said its helped them in vet school afterwards.
  33. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hahaha this was exactly me when I got my email!! I'm accepted into the same program- I was kinda bummed but it's a step in the right direction!
  34. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey current SGUers- Do we buy our term books on the island?
  35. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yes. you order what you want each term. 1st term students are already pre-ordered the 1st term package (all the 1st term books + stethoscope/halter/leashes/thermometer/nifty bag)
  36. jemappellejane

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks jmo. What is the halter for? Also, which kind of stethoscope do they give you? One more- are you on the fb page for August 2012?
  37. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    halter for horse handling :) (lead rope too), littmann classic II in black, and i am on the facebook page but i'm going to make you guess who i am because i think its pretty obvious ;)

there are horse handling labs through LAS as well as in class stuff for both terms 1 and 3
  38. ashley5jess

ashley5jess Pre-Vet Student

Pre-Veterinary
    SGU recieved my GRE scores March 26! They recieved everything else in February! I'm sooo nervous. :scared: Even though I know it will take them a couple weeks, I can't quit checking my email!
  39. Flutestar72733

Flutestar72733

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It only took them a few days to make a decision on me after receiving all of my stuff. i couldn't stop checking my email either. Still can't as i wait for my interview date. Good luck!!
  40. Jadzia

Jadzia

Pre-Veterinary
    Does the school provide health/life insurance?
  41. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't know about life insurance, but they do have health insurance. In fact, I believe your required rabies shots will be much cheaper if you go through them.
  42. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    no school "provides" health insurance that i know of, but SGU has affiliations with a company (http://www.sgu.edu/accepted-students/health-insurance.html more info). you are required to have some form of health insurance while in school, and you must provide proof.

as for rabies shots being cheaper, you might want to check into you current setup first. after i got mine (paid out of pocket) my parents decided just to see if they would reimburse part of it...and they got the whole amount for all 3 reimbursed! so definitely check with what you have first, because although greatly reduced prices are great, free is better :D
  43. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    idk if this has been brought up before but it just popped into my head so i thought i'd share. as an fyi, the masters programs here cannot be funded by your federal loans. so if you do decide to pursue a masters/dvm you will have to take out private loans to cover the tuition and living expenses
  44. ashley5jess

ashley5jess Pre-Vet Student

Pre-Veterinary
    Still no word from SGU. It's only been about two weeks since they recieved everything, but I'm still so nervous. Do they send email notifications if you do not recieve an interview?
  45. drwildlife

drwildlife SGU Class of 2017?

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm beginning to get so anxious. I hope I do well enough this semester for them to accept me into the Foundations/January 2013 Class. I hate this wait list feeling :(
  46. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think everything is done through email. You can check on the SGU website where you applied to see what your application status says. I believe it should say "interview pending" if you got an interview. Don't be afraid to send a friendly email with any questions you may have when you start getting anxious. I found that Krista sent me everything I needed shortly after shooting her an email. Hang in there! The wait is the hardest part!
  47. Jadzia

Jadzia

Pre-Veterinary
    Does anyone currently at SGU currently ONLY use an iPad? I'm trying to figure out whether or not I need a laptop, or if I can get by with my iPad and the SGU computer lab. I wa reading the SGU site, and it mentioned e exams? Does anyone take those on their iPad? Any help is appreciated!
  48. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think I read on the website that an iPad or other tablet won't suffice. You're required to have a laptop. They're currently moving to computer exams but I don't think they have yet. I'm bringing my laptop and my iPad.
  49. Kitty861

Kitty861

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hi I'm new to this forum and just wanted to ask anyone currently in the program what you like best the SGU program. I am deciding between Ross and SGU and love that SGU has a smaller class size and loved what my interviewer had to say. The only negative I see is the first semester living arrangements--the small studio with beds close together and the longer distance for US and possible higher rates for flights. thanks so much
  50. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Im going to be part of the incoming August class so I dont know how much insight I can give, but Im personally not a fan of Ross' accelerated program through vet school. They have one of the highest dropout rates because of it. I've also heard that St. Kitts is much more dangerous than Grenada. Those are what initially drove me from wanting to go to Ross.