SGU c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmhopeful9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering who else applied to SGU for Fall 2014!

I interviewed the second week of September and now I'm just playing the waiting game :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on your interview! I will be starting veterinary school at St. George's in January. I have posted a link to my blog just in case you are interested in learning more about the school and my preparation for attending.

While most of my posts pertain to SGU specifically, some of my earlier posts are resources for high school and undergraduate students.

You are also more than welcome to ask me any questions and I can write entries based on your questions or requested topics.

http://suturesandsand.wordpress.com

Have at it and good luck at your interview!

Cool blog, nmt. Thanks for sharing! I applied through VMCAS so I still have to complete the supplemental application. Guess what I'm finishing tomorrow? ;) SGU looks like a such an awesome school! I hope I get invited for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a chance to look at your blog nmt, I agree... your blog is great! It really makes me anxious to hear back from SGU!

Thanks you guys! Just let me know if you have any questions! While I'm not currently there, I have done my fair share of obsessive research. Good luck!!

I've been so busy with school that I haven't submitted my supplemental app yet even though they sent it to me months ago! Goal for tomorrow is to get it mailed so its there by the Nov 1 deadline! For those of you that interviewed, how long did it take after you submitted your supplemental to get an interview invite?

I got my interview invite the week after I submitted my supplemental. I was set up with my interviewer the week after that and interviewed the following week. So, from submitting my supplemental to finishing the whole process it took about 3 weeks. Anyone know when we should expect to start seeing admission decisions? I'm just about 4 weeks out from my interview and starting to get anxious.

Hi, I don't know who else is applying for entry in Jan '14 class, but last week I was told the class is full. They have a waitlist going and are "rolling" people into the August class if that's okay with the applicant. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't called :eek: I would ask just to make sure!

Just wondering who else applied to SGU for Fall 2014!

I interviewed the second week of September and now I'm just playing the waiting game :)
Hi! I interviewed the first week of October, and I just got my acceptance for Fall 2014 today!!!!! :)
Give them a call or send them an email! Krista is extremely quick to respond and very helpful! Best of luck to you!

Hi! I interviewed the first week of October, and I just got my acceptance for Fall 2014 today!!!!! :)
Give them a call or send them an email! Krista is extremely quick to respond and very helpful! Best of luck to you!

Congrats! I was also accepted today for the Fall 2014 class!!! :) I interviewed on 10/9 so it took 3 weeks to hear back. I'm so excited because SGU is one of my top choices. Now I just need to wait to hear back from the rest of the schools I applied to.

Congrats! I was also accepted today for the Fall 2014 class!!! :) I interviewed on 10/9 so it took 3 weeks to hear back. I'm so excited because SGU is one of my top choices. Now I just need to wait to hear back from the rest of the schools I applied to.
Thank you! Congrats to you as well! I am so excited! I'm in the same boat as you! Now I'm just waiting to hear from other schools before I make my final decision.....but SGU is one of my top choices as well!

I went ahead and e-mailed Krista, and within five minutes she e-mailed me back with my acceptance information. I would encourage anyone within the time frame to e-mail her and check on the status of their application.

Congratulations everyone! Although I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to see we have until April 15th to pay the deposit For some reason I was under the impression we had to pay the deposit before we found out about the majority of US schools.

I went ahead and e-mailed Krista, and within five minutes she e-mailed me back with my acceptance information. I would encourage anyone within the time frame to e-mail her and check on the status of their application.

Congratulations everyone! Although I have to say I was pleasantly surprised to see we have until April 15th to pay the deposit For some reason I was under the impression we had to pay the deposit before we found out about the majority of US schools.
i think maybe being a VMCAS school changes things?

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats to all of you for being accepted! I still haven't heard anything which makes me a little nervous so I guess I'll have to send Krista an email!

I'm still working on the diversity essay for the SGU supplemental... Congratulations to those of you that were accepted!

Going crazy waiting to hear back from SGU! They're my number 1 and I can't stand not knowing :arghh:
Probably my own fault for waiting so long to turn in my supplemental though :oops:

Hey all, I'm an SGU vet student currently finishing up my clinical year in the U.S. I miss SGU terribly! If you've got any questions about SGU or Grenada I'm happy to help.

I submitted my supplemental on Nov. 1 (literally the last day) and am yet to hear anything. I know people who submitted earlier have already been interviewing, but has anyone who submitted late heard back?

I submitted my supplemental on Nov. 1 (literally the last day) and am yet to hear anything. I know people who submitted earlier have already been interviewing, but has anyone who submitted late heard back?

I submitted mine on 10/30 and haven't heard back yet. But I imagine they have a rather large pile to dig through with all of us submitting so close to the deadline!

I mailed in my supplemental the week it was due, received an interview shortly thereafter, did my Skype interview last Sunday. Still waiting to hear final decision. I was told it'd be about 2 weeks before I heard :)

For those of you who have had Skype interviews, what did you wear?

For those of you who have had Skype interviews, what did you wear?
I had a Skype interview with Ross and I wore exactly what I would wear to an in-person interview. I know that they can't really see your lower half but I think dressing up all the way really helped me get in the proper mindset for the interview (where as wearing pajama pants probably would have made me feel like I was hiding a secret the entire time).

Yep, I haven't heard anything yet either, and mine was also submitted in the last 48 hours.

For anyone interested, I submitted my supplemental on November 1st also. I emailed Krista today to see if there were any updates on my application status and she just told me they "are sending out decisions regarding interviews all the way up until December."

Just had my Skype interview this morning. It was fairly relaxed and actually informative. After I gave my response to particular questions, my interviewer would respond with her own experiences that related to the question. I would practice a "mock" interview with someone if you have the chance. I did this with my parents before the actual interview and it allowed me to be waaaaay more relaxed for my actual interview! Good luck to everyone else!

I received an e-mail for an invitation over a month ago and I feel like I am the only one that has set up a late interview for them. I set my interview for 12/28 in Athens, GA. I preferred an interview during my Christmas Break since the drive there is about three hours from home. So does anyone have any December/late interviews with them?

Current (unhappy) SGU vet student-

I am writing this only because I wish someone had been there to warn me of what I was getting myself into coming to this school instead of coming here with this idea of an island paradise.

SGU is no longer allowing students to see what answers we get wrong on exams. This is a MAJOR problem, and a rule they just changed now, during the semester, right before finals. Instead our option is to track down our professors, meet with them, and discuss the topics we struggled with. Only problem is, how are we supposed to know what topics we struggled with if we do not know what we got wrong? Professors are not allowed to discuss actual exam questions with us.

There also has been many incidences during exam time of money and other valuable items going "missing" from our bags during exams. We are required to "check" bags that we bring to the exam with security. Now, if its security stealing these items or a lack of security and someone else going through bags, no one knows. And nothing ever happens when this kind of stuff is reported. And it keeps happening, over and over again.

They also don't see the problem with squishing 100 students into a room where not everyone is able to see the projector and there is hardly any room for a backpack, a computer, and yourself. What happened when we wrote letters, emails, and professors complained as well? Nothing. We are still in this room where people are sitting on the ground in order to see the screen.

And if you plan on living in the dorms, be aware that there is no wifi, even though we were promised to have wifi up and running the beginning of September. They also don't allow for personal routers, which many people have. If you are caught with one of these routers, you are subject to a $1,000USD fine, and for a second offense the internet connection to your room is shut off completely.

With that said, many of my classmates enjoy it very much here. I think that it takes a special person, someone with a strong will to succeed in veterinary medicine, to handle all of these things. I just hope that future students realize that it is SGU isn't just a pretty campus and a DVM degree.

Has anyone heard from SGU recently? I submitted my VMCAS application on 9/18 and my supplemental on 10/31 and haven't heard from them at all. I'm starting to get worried... :nailbiting:

Nope.. I did email asking if there were any updates last week, and I got an email back saying they're still sending invites out through December so I should be hearing back soon? I submitted my VMCAS pretty late, and my supplemental also on the 31st.

I had an interview back in September and still haven't heard a final decision. I emailed them several times because let's face it, I'm ridiculously impatient, and got the same response as Cyndia. Here's to hoping we find out soon!

if anyone is looking for off campus housing for SPRING 2014 please let me know - one of my classmates needs a roommate as hers is heading off to clinics! rent is 1/3rd less than you'd pay for on campus, she has a car, and she has the sweetest dog ever. most of the people living in the same building (shes in a two bedroom apartment) are vet students (trust me, you want to be surrounded by vet students and not icky med students!)

I had an interview back in September and still haven't heard a final decision. I emailed them several times because let's face it, I'm ridiculously impatient, and got the same response as Cyndia. Here's to hoping we find out soon!
I emailed Krista yesterday and she said we should hear during the first week of January!

I emailed Krista yesterday and she said we should hear during the first week of January!
Ahh good to know! Thanks for the update. As soon as I'm done with my last final tomorrow I'm going to have nothing else to do besides be impatient to hear from all the schools I applied to. And enjoy Christmas I suppose ;)

I decided to accept my acceptance to SGU for the Fall! Has anyone else made their decision yet?

Congrats to those that have been accepted! I've heard that SGU does not follow the April 15th due date for decision-making, so I'm curious...how long did SGU give you to accept their offer once it was made? I'm afraid that if I am offered a spot and decline it in order to wait to hear back from schools in the states, that I will have lost my chance. I have a Skype interview coming up, and am wondering what I should wear? I saw someone above post that they wore the same thing they would wear to an in-person interview, and I think I will do that same. For those that have had Skype interviews as well, how long did it last? Also, does anyone know why they offer some people Skype interviews and others in-person interviews? Paranoid thought, but do you think they give in-person interviews to people they like better?

Congrats to those that have been accepted! I've heard that SGU does not follow the April 15th due date for decision-making, so I'm curious...how long did SGU give you to accept their offer once it was made? I'm afraid that if I am offered a spot and decline it in order to wait to hear back from schools in the states, that I will have lost my chance. I have a Skype interview coming up, and am wondering what I should wear? I saw someone above post that they wore the same thing they would wear to an in-person interview, and I think I will do that same. For those that have had Skype interviews as well, how long did it last? Also, does anyone know why they offer some people Skype interviews and others in-person interviews? Paranoid thought, but do you think they give in-person interviews to people they like better?
They give Skype interviews so you or your grad interviewer don't have to drive several hours I believe. I drove an hour 15 south to LA for my interview but one girl my year drove like 3 hours in bad weather for hers. If you live somewhere remote or where they don't have a nearby interviewer that's probably why.

I think if anything, as to the deadline, they let you notify them after the deadline if you accept the offer (they used to take people up to like only 2 weeks before they were due to be on island. But call or e-mail Krista, she can tell you.

They give Skype interviews so you or your grad interviewer don't have to drive several hours I believe. I drove an hour 15 south to LA for my interview but one girl my year drove like 3 hours in bad weather for hers. If you live somewhere remote or where they don't have a nearby interviewer that's probably why.

I think if anything, as to the deadline, they let you notify them after the deadline if you accept the offer (they used to take people up to like only 2 weeks before they were due to be on island. But call or e-mail Krista, she can tell you.
i drove 6h? skype seems to be when there are no interviewers "near" you as all interviewing is done by alumni.

i drove 6h? skype seems to be when there are no interviewers "near" you as all interviewing is done by alumni.

I drove like 4.5-5 hours for mine…but hey, it was worth it, especially since it lasted much longer than my other interviews (over an hour as compared to 15 minutes to a half hour)! Personally, I like in person better, but I can see why they'd do Skype if that is the only other way to be able to interview with an alumni.

I drove like 4.5-5 hours for mine…but hey, it was worth it, especially since it lasted much longer than my other interviews (over an hour as compared to 15 minutes to a half hour)! Personally, I like in person better, but I can see why they'd do Skype if that is the only other way to be able to interview with an alumni.
i think i had previously heard of people driving 11+ hours to interview with an alum. obviously we all thought it was worth it, but skype is nice because it gives a little more flexibility. you're already trying to match up a time for a busy practitioner on top of your busy schedule

SGU gave me until April 15th for make the initial deposit, and I was accepted at the end of October. I had a Skype interview and it lasted approximately an hour. I wore a nice top, although I don't think it would be a bad idea to wear the full interview attire.

I just had my Skype interview this past Sunday, and I wore my navy blue suit that I've purchased for other in person interviews and my interviewer commented on how much she liked it! My interview lasted an hour and fifteen minutes, and was incredibly enjoyable! Just relax and be yourself and it will be a great experience.

I've heard nothing but silence from SGU and I'm starting to get a little antsy about it. They're the only school I haven't gotten some sort of response from :/

I haven't heard anything from them since I submitted my supplemental.

How long ago did y'all submit?
I know for a fact the office has been closed most of the last two weeks and is closed today. Call on Monday, but I expect things to start moving for August after they finish setting the Jan class (meaning you may not hear till Jan 15-20 at earliest)

How long ago did y'all submit?
I know for a fact the office has been closed most of the last two weeks and is closed today. Call on Monday, but I expect things to start moving for August after they finish setting the Jan class (meaning you may not hear till Jan 15-20 at earliest)
yeah i second this - pretty much when the school shuts down for breaks, everything comes to a screeching halt. extra props to Brittany who is in charge of all the clinical year school communication and has been diligently informing students immediately as school acceptances come in (even on Christmas Eve!)