SGU c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I didn't get my interview invite until January if that helps you guys out

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had my interview in November and because of the holiday's I didn't hear back until yesterday. Fortunately, it was good news!

Did any body else get placed in the academic enhancement program?

Members don't see this ad :)
How was everyone notified about the acceptance or rejection after the interview?

lots of people get placed in AEP. We are still bewildered as to how these selections get made. my 1st term, we used to joke that the school only really wanted the AEP students to do well in vet school and that they were just milking the others for money (because of the support network they require from AEP students 1st term).
previous post by me in another thread:
its been awhile since i was in first term :)eek:) so they may have made some adjustments, but we used to joke that the people the university wanted to succeed were in AEP and everyone else was just paying tuition haha. we were required to attend one small group review session per week of the subject of our choice (physio or anatomy, some semesters offer histo too) and then one open group session per week. other than a one time mandatory info meeting and a post midterms 5 minute meeting with an AEP adviser, that was all that was involved. there was no AEP stuff for term 2
-------
they told is was for terms 1 and 2 as well, they just never followed through with the term 2 bit haha. i really wouldnt worry about it, just look at it as 2 hours of mandatory study time a week. no big deal! also, there really seems to be no rhyme or reason to the placement, because we had people that probably should have been in it given their backgrounds and people in it that as far as we could tell shouldnt maybe qualify. either way, its nothing to be ashamed of or worry about

I got an email from Krista today saying decisions for Fall 2014 would not be made until late February or early March?

Did you email her asking about this or was this a mass email? Just asking because I have not received an email from her recently. Have you interviewed already? I had my interview last week and was told I should hear something within 4 weeks, and if I don't then to contact her.

I emailed her. I had my interview in October and still haven't heard! I was told 4 weeks too and then beginning of the year and now February or March. Definitely getting frustrated.

Im declining my fall 2014 acceptance because fortunately I got into my instate school :) I really hope someone on here gets the spot. Good luck!!

Im declining my fall 2014 acceptance because fortunately I got into my instate school :) I really hope someone on here gets the spot. Good luck!!

How did you go about declining it? Did you just e-mail Krista?

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed her. I had my interview in October and still haven't heard! I was told 4 weeks too and then beginning of the year and now February or March. Definitely getting frustrated.

I had my interview back in September and just got my acceptance last week after not hearing anything at all for 4 months. Hopefully you will get some good news soon!

I got accepted for fall 2014 MD just a couple of days ago. The interview was a breeze, the guy was a primary care doc here in south FL. He did a good job of keeping a relaxed atmosphere without undermining the formality of it. I think Aug. 18th is the first day..

I got accepted for fall 2014 MD just a couple of days ago. The interview was a breeze, the guy was a primary care doc here in south FL. He did a good job of keeping a relaxed atmosphere without undermining the formality of it. I think Aug. 18th is the first day..
congrats! very exciting :)

you are in the vet forum just fyi (you're not likely to meet any future MD classmates here but you will meet plenty of vet colleagues!)

I had a Skype interview with Ross and I wore exactly what I would wear to an in-person interview. I know that they can't really see your lower half but I think dressing up all the way really helped me get in the proper mindset for the interview (where as wearing pajama pants probably would have made me feel like I was hiding a secret the entire time).
I'm not gonna lie, I totally wore sweatpants for my Ross interview :p
But I was accepted to both Ross and SGU! Congratulations to everyone else getting accepted to these schools! I'm still waiting to hear from VMRCVM about my interview last weekend and I have more interviews coming up in the next few weeks, so I won't be making any final decisions or deposits for a little while.

Anyone else not hear a peep from SGU since submitting their supplemental??

Anyone else not hear a peep from SGU since submitting their supplemental??
I heard about a week or two after submitting mine. Maybe you should contact them if it's been longer than that!

I'm not gonna lie, I totally wore sweatpants for my Ross interview :p
But I was accepted to both Ross and SGU! Congratulations to everyone else getting accepted to these schools! I'm still waiting to hear from VMRCVM about my interview last weekend and I have more interviews coming up in the next few weeks, so I won't be making any final decisions or deposits for a little while.
I've also been accepted to Ross and St. George's and still waiting to hear from a few schools in the states! I guess we're in the same boat!! I have no idea what I'm going to do!

I sent my fall transcript in and got a reply saying thanks but thats it. I haven't heard anything about an interview or anything. I'm kind of giving up on SGU not going to lie.

I sent my fall transcript in and got a reply saying thanks but thats it. I haven't heard anything about an interview or anything. I'm kind of giving up on SGU not going to lie.

Have you emailed your advisor person and asked what was going on with the status of your application? The process with SGU for me was extremely fast. I would just send a quick email, it never hurts!

I completely agree with @allygator13! The admissions staff is SUPER friendly and helpful, so I'm sure they'll help you out and tell you exactly what is going on!

Is there a deadline that we have to apply before for August 2014? I thought it was rolling admissions?

Is there a deadline that we have to apply before for August 2014? I thought it was rolling admissions?
some time in june is the cut off for august. and it is rolling admissions, but the spots are filling up much faster than they used to

I really don't understand their process. I had an interview in October and haven't heard anything, but some have. I'd definitely get my application in as soon as possible.

Ok, so I e-mailed Krista and I wanted to let everyone know what she told me. She said "either interview decisions or admittance decisions, the committee has a deadline of late February or early march." That's a little late I feel, but I guess it is what it is. Hope this information helps everyone.

I was accepted to the vet med foundations program today!!
So very excited but I was wondering if anyone had any information on the pass rate of the foundations program as well as the comprehensive final exam at the end of the term? Honestly any information would be so helpful at this point ha
Thanks!

Don't give up just yet! I applied really close to the VMCAS deadline and hadn't heard anything for ages, but they finally sent me an interview invitation about a week and a half ago. It happened when I was flying over to the US though, and things were super hectic since I was traveling around and they kept calling my parents house rather than my mobile (my grandma who doesn't speak much english apparently answered and didn't understand or think to pass on the messages for me lol). Anyways, so in the end I finally found out and got ahold of them, but ended up declining since I got into another school I wanted more, so hopefully that helps and more invites are still going out. :)

Thanks, Cyndia! Coincidentally, I got my acceptance today!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I am currently a first term student in AEP if you have any questions, but basically what jmo said :) It's definitely not a bad thing, and there are a VARIETY of reasons for being put into it. I think close to half of our class is in it, so you wouldn't be the only one, but like I said, not a bad thing and not a huge deal ;)

Hey, I am currently a first term student in AEP if you have any questions, but basically what jmo said :) It's definitely not a bad thing, and there are a VARIETY of reasons for being put into it. I think close to half of our class is in it, so you wouldn't be the only one, but like I said, not a bad thing and not a huge deal ;)

Is the academic enhancement program the same as the veterinary foundations program or similar? If so, does the majority of the class proceed to the first semester or the DVM program after it?

Is the academic enhancement program the same as the veterinary foundations program or similar? If so, does the majority of the class proceed to the first semester or the DVM program after it?
No, not at all like foundations. Foundations is a semester of courses you do prior to beginning the DVM program where you have to get a certain GPA (I believe) in order to matriculate into the DVM program. AEP isn't really graded, but once you're placed in it, it is mandatory that you attend. Basically what it is is a mandatory study session you have to do once a week (well, I guess technically 2 sessions as you have 1 closed to people in AEP and one open which anyone, AEP or not, can go to). You get to choose a course out of Physiology, Anatomy, and Histology that you want to have an AEP (small, like 5-7 person group) session every week at a certain time for the whole term, and they only last about an hour. For example, every Tuesday from 7-8 could be one of the sessions that you sign up for.
AEP isn't really something you can sign up for, you're placed into it, and honestly, there are people in our term that wished they had been placed into AEP.
It has been very helpful for me! It kind of makes you do group study, and for those not in AEP, still a lot of them attend the open (DES) review sessions.
Hope that all made sense :) If not, let me know, and I'll try to clarify.

Edit. Nevermind.
All I needed to do was keep reading.

I received my rejection in the mail today. I was already planning to attend Western but it's just kind of sad that I wasn't even offered an interview at SGU (58% of applicants are offered interviews)... :( My GPA and GRE scores are above the entering class averages and I have a lot of experience... I'm stumped. Does anyone know if SGU offers file reviews to inform applicants of the weaknesses that led to their rejection?

Hey, does anyone know how to turn down SGU? The only papers they sent me with my acceptance form were to accept the position. I want to turn it down to give others a chance!

SGU seems to be a bit of a wild card this cycle.

Hey, does anyone know how to turn down SGU? The only papers they sent me with my acceptance form were to accept the position. I want to turn it down to give others a chance!
I'm pretty sure you just need to e-mail Krista and let them know

You e-mail Krista and in order for them to "close the file" you have to tell them where you will be going instead.

I got a letter of rejection in the mail today. I'm surprised that I was not even offered an interview as my stats are definitely up to par with their last incoming class. Good luck for everyone still waiting to hear.

I got a letter of rejection in the mail today. I'm surprised that I was not even offered an interview as my stats are definitely up to par with their last incoming class. Good luck for everyone still waiting to hear.
I know exactly how you feel...

For August 2014, does anyone know if the $3,000 due in June and the remainder of the tuition in July are refundable?

For August 2014, does anyone know if the $3,000 due in June and the remainder of the tuition in July are refundable?
this sounds like a question only admissions can answer for you as i suspect if there is a yes to it, it is situation dependent.

thinking about the over all process, the $3k might not be refundable, but if you didn't attend the school, they would be obligated to refund you tuition. even though the $3k does fit into the tuition category, i'm not sure where it stands with regards to being refundable, particularly since it sounds like you'd be withdrawing kind of last minute (means they have to fill a spot in a hurry then in order to keep the class full and to receive their expected income)

I was accepted a few days ago!! I'm going to send my deposit in this week! Who else is going to accept the offer here?

this sounds like a question only admissions can answer for you as i suspect if there is a yes to it, it is situation dependent.

thinking about the over all process, the $3k might not be refundable, but if you didn't attend the school, they would be obligated to refund you tuition. even though the $3k does fit into the tuition category, i'm not sure where it stands with regards to being refundable, particularly since it sounds like you'd be withdrawing kind of last minute (means they have to fill a spot in a hurry then in order to keep the class full and to receive their expected income)

Thanks for the insight jmo. I got waitlisted at my IS which would be a lot cheaper than SGU, which is why I was wondering about refunds on tuition (in the small chance I get off the waitlist). I fell in love with SGU when applying to schools but I'm not sure I can justify spending 2x the money on school if I got into my IS.

Just declined my interview offer, hope my spot can be used by one of you!