SGU c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my acceptance email 2/12 from SGU! I am beyond excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
accepted to the vet foundation program! is there a fb page for incoming students in august?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the process of writing emails declining some acceptances and I have to say, declining my spot at St Georges is the hardest :( the people I know who attend are some of the happiest Vet students, and have nothing but great things to say about the school. Unfortunately, Having been accepted to schools in the US that offer In-State tuition, I cant really justify the price tag at St Georges. Hopefully someone from SDN gets my spot and enjoys the tropical weather while I freeze my ass up north haha
Good luck everyone!

I am in the process of writing emails declining some acceptances and I have to say, declining my spot at St Georges is the hardest :( the people I know who attend are some of the happiest Vet students, and have nothing but great things to say about the school. Unfortunately, Having been accepted to schools in the US that offer In-State tuition, I cant really justify the price tag at St Georges. Hopefully someone from SDN gets my spot and enjoys the tropical weather while I freeze my ass up north haha
Good luck everyone!

We do have a lot of fun down here ;) But you're making a great decision, and I wish I'd had that option! Congrats!

Hello!! So I've been accepted to the August 2016 term, and am currently trying to figure out total expenses. Anyone have any insight on this?

Looking to get health insurance from SGU, and looking for the cheapest route for living.

Additionally, does anyone know of any potential scholarship opportunities? :D

Hello!! So I've been accepted to the August 2016 term, and am currently trying to figure out total expenses. Anyone have any insight on this?

Looking to get health insurance from SGU, and looking for the cheapest route for living.

Additionally, does anyone know of any potential scholarship opportunities? :D

Congrats! I'm currently in my fourth semester here at SGU so I have a little bit of insight on expenses. I usually take out the full loan amount (minus a little bit that I get from scholarships through the school that they automatically deduct from the total) and end up with ~$5,000 left over at the end of the school year. They distribute about $3,000-4,000 less to you in Fall than they do in Spring because of the annual cost of the health insurance and other things, so keep that in mind since you want to use the school's insurance. Cheapest living is off campus, there are apartments ranging anywhere from ~$400/month to $1,000+ a month so it just depends on what "conditions" you're willing to live in, location, things like that. Places closer to campus are more expensive than those a little farther away.

The school has a few scholarships they give out that you can find info about under "Finances" on the website or something like that. I think they automatically screen incoming first years for potential scholarships though and they'll notify you if you've received one over the summer, or at least that's how it was when I was coming in.

Let me know if you have any other questions about anything SGU related! :)

I have been accepted for Fall 2016. Can anyone give me any information on acquiring on campus housing? I am adamant about having a room that at least has my own private bathroom. Does anyone know how hard it will be to acquire a room like this?

I have been accepted for Fall 2016. Can anyone give me any information on acquiring on campus housing? I am adamant about having a room that at least has my own private bathroom. Does anyone know how hard it will be to acquire a room like this?

None of the dorms that my classmates were in had individual bathrooms I don't think. Most of them lived in a triple, which is 3 separate bedrooms with shared kitchen and bathroom. I'm not sure how some of the other buildings are though.

So that doesn't exist...I think there are like 8 1 br suites that are 3x as much and are only available to upperclassmen (though I simply cannot understand paying way way too much for what is not very nice)

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure. Most first termers don't live on Grand Anse campus though, that's usually foundations students
They were trying to not of students live There at all costs when I was there, not sure if that's still true (they would transfer them to main campus as spots opened because people left and whatnot)

I have been accepted elsewhere, and will be declining my seat. Good luck to someone else!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'll be officially accepting my seat on Wednesday :D

Reactions: 1 users
What is the grading like at SGU? I can't find it anywhere. Like what do you need to pass your classes, and how many classes can you fail before they "kick you out" potentially? And what do you do if you end up failing a class?

Just some info I would like to know before accepting my seat!

What is the grading like at SGU? I can't find it anywhere. Like what do you need to pass your classes, and how many classes can you fail before they "kick you out" potentially? And what do you do if you end up failing a class?

Just some info I would like to know before accepting my seat!

I *think* you can move forward if you get a D? I have a friend with a D in Pharm 1 that moved on. But I think you can only get a certain amount of D's? If you fail a class you do what they call "decelling" where you retake that class again the next semester and essentially become a part of the class under you for the rest of your time since then you have to catch up. I'm not sure how many classes you can fail, I think we had a girl fail Pharm two semesters in a row and they didn't let her come back, but there is also someone I know who has decelled twice and she is still here. I think they decide those things on a case by case basis, and if you show that you are doing everything (going to DES, studying, getting tutors, etc.) then they will be more lenient.

Just to add, although D grades have become a thing recently, there are Some clinical year schools that don't accept them. You may not be allowed to apply to certain schools with a D in the transcript just fyi

Just to add, although D grades have become a thing recently, there are Some clinical year schools that don't accept them. You may not be allowed to apply to certain schools with a D in the transcript just fyi

Yup, good point

Yup, good point

Awesome! Good to know. I really really really want A&M for my clinical year (from Texas), does anyone know what they require as grades go, and if an interview is necessary?

Also how likely is it that I will get my first option for clinical year?

Awesome! Good to know. I really really really want A&M for my clinical year (from Texas), does anyone know what they require as grades go, and if an interview is necessary?

Also how likely is it that I will get my first option for clinical year?

Just checked a sheet that the most recent students making their choices got... Looks like Texas requires a minimum 3.0 GPA, no D's/F's, and must be a US citizen. Not sure about likelihood of getting your first choice, as of right now I think it is pretty heavily GPA based, so it depends on who else in your class wants that school and what their grades are like. The schools themselves make the choices as far as I know. I'll know more at the end of this term since I have to put in my choices at the beginning of next semester (eek!). @jmo1012 knows more too I'm sure since she's been through it!

Just checked a sheet that the most recent students making their choices got... Looks like Texas requires a minimum 3.0 GPA, no D's/F's, and must be a US citizen. Not sure about likelihood of getting your first choice, as of right now I think it is pretty heavily GPA based, so it depends on who else in your class wants that school and what their grades are like. The schools themselves make the choices as far as I know. I'll know more at the end of this term since I have to put in my choices at the beginning of next semester (eek!). @jmo1012 knows more too I'm sure since she's been through it!
things have changed a bit since we applied, but historically they have factored in anything personal (i.e. family lives there), followed by GPA. your chances depend on how popular a school is. for example, my class had 10 who wanted to go to NCSU, but they typically only take 5 students (my class they took 7 but not typical), therefore the top 5 are the most likely to go, although like i said they can take other factors into account too.

Hey everyone! I was accepted into the vet program for fall 2016, which I am so excited about! I also got into University of Illinois and I am in the process of deciding which school is going to be better for me. Any suggestions on things to consider?

Hey everyone! I was accepted into the vet program for fall 2016, which I am so excited about! I also got into University of Illinois and I am in the process of deciding which school is going to be better for me. Any suggestions on things to consider?
Cost. Including cost of living

Can anyone shed some light on how long it took to hear back after their interview?

I GOT MY ACCEPTANCE TODAY! It took 13 days! So happy I didn't have to wait.

I've been waitlisted for the August class. Do any of the SGU grads know around when people get called off the wait list?

I've been waitlisted for the August class. Do any of the SGU grads know around when people get called off the wait list?

A girl in my class was called off the waitlist I think a week or so before the start of term! It just depends, probably on when people are getting called off of other waitlists.

A girl in my class was called off the waitlist I think a week or so before the start of term! It just depends, probably on when people are getting called off of other waitlists.

That's insane!!! That scenario is my worst nightmare. The move, quitting my job so suddenly, and packing in one week is so daunting.

Hi all I applied for the fall 2016 admissions. I had the interview and have since been waiting to hear back about being admitted into the school. Is anyone else still waiting to hear back about the August 2016 term?

Does anyone know when the term is suppose to begin and if they are changing the start dates for the August 2016 term?

Does anyone know when the term is suppose to begin and if they are changing the start dates for the August 2016 term?

Classes start this August on the 15th! Orientation for term 1 students usually starts the Wednesday before classes though I believe