1. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

SGU Charter Foundation Program

Discussion in 'Saint George's University Forum (Sponsored)' started by MD Ani, Jan 21, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. MD Ani

MD Ani

Pre-Medical
    I recently found out that I had been accepted to SGU's Charter Foundation Program (CFP). Right now my options are CFP or attending the International American University. I am pretty sure I am going to SGU, but wanted to get some insight from current or former CFP students. SGU does not have a lot of info about CFP (aka almost none) on their website.

Is the program helpful?
    Do most people complete the requirements and go on to the med school?
    Is housing as bad as I read on some blogs from 2009? (moldy carpets and rats in the kitchen at night?)
    What are some things that I should know/you wish you had known, which SGU will not tell students ahead of time?

Thank you!!
  2. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good luck :thumbup:
  3. GSPstudent

GSPstudent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is the program helpful?
    The students that I know who have done CFP, excelled in their 1st year. The class size is much smaller and it allowed them to get their bearings before starting their first year.

Do most people complete the requirements and go on to the med school?
    You will need to maintain a GPA of a 3.0-3.2 and pass a completion exam, approximately 93% of students fufill this requirement.

Is housing as bad as I read on some blogs from 2009? (moldy carpets and rats in the kitchen at night?)
    I know one student who just left the CFP program to start his first year in Newcastle, and he stayed on the True Blue campus, which is much older. I don't think you can find carpet anywhere in Grenada, thank goodness, it would be gross.

What are some things that I should know/you wish you had known, which SGU will not tell students ahead of time?
    Definitely stay focused and don't slack, because if you don't meet the GPA requirements, you will likely not be allowed to continue in school. This is a huge financial burden on someone. As far as things the school doesn't tell you, there are always little things you pick up from students in the term ahead of you, so don't worry you will be informed!

Good luck to you!

Thank you!!
  4. nyr201

nyr201

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    is the program still a semester long? or a full year?

I found some sgu students blog saying that there's been rumors that the charter foundations going to become a full year and you would need a 3.5 instead of a 3.2 in order to go to the med school. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks in advance.
  5. nyr201

nyr201

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    anybody??
  6. Qwerty85

Qwerty85

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is the charter foundation program the same as the veterinary foundation program? I was accepted into the VFP. They placed me in the final term of the program.
  7. theaznfishy

theaznfishy

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey guys, I just finished the CFP program {Jan 2011-May 2011} If you guys have any questions in particular about the program, life on campus, particular questions on each class, etc. Just let me know. To answer some of your questions:

A) The next CFP term [Fall 2011] is now required to keep a GPA of 3.5 [no longer a 3.2], however you no longer have to take the comprehensive PMSCE.
    B) FTM (foundations to medicine which is CFP) and FVM (vet) are only the same in 2 ways- both take Learning Strategies and Physiology together, but other than that, classes for both are different.
    C) FVM requirements as of this term was to maintain a 3.0 GPA [no comprehensive test]
    D) From what I hear, you incoming CFP will now have a NEW DORM to live in directly on True Blue campus and no longer Grand Anse [the oldest off-campus SGU housing], lucky ducks.

Anyways let me know if you have anymore questions. We're still waiting to get word if we made it into the program [announcment on Thurs].
  8. sharakane

sharakane

Hey theaznfishy!

I will be starting the CFP in August 2011 and they have informed me about the increased GPA to 3.5. So I want to try and study over the summer, would you mind sending me the syllabus for any of the classes?? Especially biochemistry?? Also, do you know if there are any good apartments within walking distance of the university that are safe? I'm not sure about the whole 'roommate and dorm room' thing so I was considering an apartment, good or bad idea?? Thanks alot!!
  9. shivajimaharaj

shivajimaharaj

Pre-Medical
    Hey theaznfishy,

I am trying to find information on how to apply to the CFP program on st. george's website. But I can't find it anywhere. Is it not hugely publicized program? Also can you give me the general outline of the program? How long is it? What does completeing the program mean for your chances of medical school? After completion with the 3.5 gpa does it guarantee medical school acceptance to St. George? Would you suggest someone do this program or just take additional postbac undergraduate courses to improve science gpa and try admission to med school that way?
  10. MD Ani

MD Ani

Pre-Medical
    hey, so just an update: i did decide to do the CFP program. i leave in less than 2 weeks!!

the dorms are now on the main (true blue) campus, i believe we are being put in a brand new buidling this year so no worries about that :) it's two people in a room with kitchen (no oven) and bathroom for those interested.

they have increased the gpa requirement to 3.5 but it is still one semester. there was talk of getting rid of the final exam (PMSCE) but as far as i know we are still required to take it.

let me know if anyone has questions :)