sgu graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NU2SGU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me whether it's true that SGU med students have their commencement in NY instead of Grenada? Thanks!

-NU2SGU

Members don't see this ad.

Yes SGU does have their graduation in NY. I'm a couple years away from graduating but I believe its at a place called the Lincoln Center.

interesting...i had my high school graduation there...and now i might be going to sgu...nice coinky dink

great place to graduate!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the confirmation! I'll be starting at SGU in January and it makes me happy to know that my entire family will actually be able to attend graduation (flying to NY is so much cheaper).

is that the place they always use for the graduation ceremonies?

toxin said:
is that the place they always use for the graduation ceremonies?

It's the only place I've heard of them doing graduation ceremonies, at least for the past few years.

Yeah, that's just another indication that SGU wishes they were a US school. And, they know most people at SGU are from the US so figure they'll have it in the US so people's relatives don't have to travel that far.

Dr Trek 1 said:
Yeah, that's just another indication that SGU wishes they were a US school.
Hardly. Although we do look pretty much like a US school, when you compare board scores. :p

Brian Pavlovitz said:
Hardly. Although we do look pretty much like a US school, when you compare board scores. :p

That's true. In fact a few years ago the highest USMLE I score was from someone at an offshore med school. Board scores mean nothing about the quality of medicine that will be practiced, however.

However, at offshore med schools students are miserable, student moral is terrible, and the schools even claim that they "do not have adequate medical facilities so be sure to get a full physical before you leave the US". Also, they use letter grades. This just promotes more competition amongst students and lowers the student moral even more.

Someone who wants to practice medicine should put the needs of the patient first. This means they should get the best medical education possible. If a school, like SGU, does not offer "adequate medical facilities", then how are they supposed to teach adequate medical skills? And how are their students supposed to put the patient first if the school doesn't?

Dr Trek 1 said:
That's true. In fact a few years ago the highest USMLE I score was from someone at an offshore med school. Board scores mean nothing about the quality of medicine that will be practiced, however.

However, at offshore med schools students are miserable, student moral is terrible, and the schools even claim that they "do not have adequate medical facilities so be sure to get a full physical before you leave the US". Also, they use letter grades. This just promotes more competition amongst students and lowers the student moral even more.

Someone who wants to practice medicine should put the needs of the patient first. This means they should get the best medical education possible. If a school, like SGU, does not offer "adequate medical facilities", then how are they supposed to teach adequate medical skills? And how are their students supposed to put the patient first if the school doesn't?

I agree with you totally. Board scores really measure nothing about one's clinical abilities. I also think that a lot of the students do tend to be a bit miserable. Not necessarily at first, but once you're on an island for awhile, it starts to get to you. It's hard sometimes to stay positive, but I tried my best, and I think things went okay.

I do, however, think that the quality of my education at SGU has been very good. Granted, I have nothing to compare it with. I suppose I'll really find out when clinicals begin in a few weeks and I'm working along with other students from SGU, Ross, SUNY Downstate, et al. But our school really beat clinical skills to death, and I'm confident that I will be able to perform a decent H&P when I start--maybe not a perfect one, but certainly not clueless.

Unfortunately, most of the Caribbean is "developing", which means that, yes, medical care is substandard. But the hospital experience there made me realize how lucky we are here, even with all of the managed care crapola, busy emergency rooms (especially here in Rochester!), and way too much politics. The hospitals aren't as modern as here certainly, but I saw patients with the same problems: CHF, diabetes, Hypertension, AIDS, Berry Aneurysms, posterior urethral valves in a newborn, post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis, allergies, etc. And, it is always stressed that listening to your patient, and forming a trustworthy and professional rapport is vitally important to their care.

I would have loved to attend U of R--I live about 15 min. away in Irondequoit--but my MCAT's were just too low. But, then again, it doesn't mean that I won't make a good physician. SGU has given me a chance, and I'm glad they did.

Brian Pavlovitz said:
But, then again, it doesn't mean that I won't make a good physician. SGU has given me a chance, and I'm glad they did.

I'm sure you'll make a great physician, Brian. It's just very important to me to be happy during medical school so that I can truly practice great medicine. Also, I wouldn't be able to stand letter grades in med school like they use at SGU and other off-shore medical schools. Once you get to medical school, you should be pretty much done with earning letter grades. Now it is about learning to be a good physician, not earning grades.

Dr Trek 1 said:
I'm sure you'll make a great physician, Brian. It's just very important to me to be happy during medical school so that I can truly practice great medicine. Also, I wouldn't be able to stand letter grades in med school like they use at SGU and other off-shore medical schools. Once you get to medical school, you should be pretty much done with earning letter grades. Now it is about learning to be a good physician, not earning grades.

Thanks! For the record, I really hate letter grades, too. It sure does bring out the competitiveness in people.

Best of luck with the rest of clinicals--it sounds to me like you're going to be a fine physician yourself! If you're at RGH anytime before Sept. 3, come look me up in the Pathology lab! I worked there before med school, so most of the department knows me.

Thanks! I still am in the application process, however. IM me at DrTrek1 sometime so we can discuss Rochester.

Brian,

If medicine does not fare well for you im sure politics will.....very good communication skills ;)

toxin said:
Brian,

If medicine does not fare well for you im sure politics will.....very good communication skills ;)
:D I'm a lover, not a fighter!