SGU or Ross University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I have been researching the post-bacc programs available and have come up with a list of options that might work for me. The difficult thing is that a lot of these programs are out of pocket expense and I simply can't afford it (most programs are over $10,000 not including living expenses). Is there any advice you guys can provide, I am seriously wondering if I should try to get sponsored through Kickstarter or something =)

Post_Bacc_Img.JPG

Members don't see this ad.

Also wanted to update you guys on which schools I am still waiting to hear back from :love::

• Florida Atlantic U (Charles E Schmidt College) - Relatively new school.
  • Tulane University SOM
  • University of South Carolina SOM, Greenville
  • LECOM
  • MSUCOM
  • NYCOM
  • Ohio U Heritage COM
  • Philadelphia COM
  • Touro COM
  • UMDNJ

I really hope to get into an osteopathic program over an allopathic because I find their methodology more inline with how I would like to practice medicine. I guess I have to be patient and stubborn :cool: during times of stress I should look like this.

You have a 35 mcat?

What's your reasoning behind going to sgu/ross right now being better than taking a year in post-bac programs to improve your gpa? (other than the immediate financial setback that most likely will be insignificant in the long haul granted that you get into a US MD/DO)

Members don't see this ad :)
And if you think the tuition for those SMP programs is expensive, its nothing compared to SGU.

Like you, I've been accepted at Ross and while its tempting for me to take off to the island and start working towards my dream of becoming a physician, the risk of not securing a residency after graduation is a risk that I am not willing to take. I've spoken with a number of current and past Ross students and most of them have said that the international route will potentially leave you holding an empty residency bag. In fact, my Ross interviewer told me that I would be better served by applying to U.S. lower tier M.D. and/or D.O. programs because of the uncertain position that IMG/FMG graduates will face in the residency match. My advice? Don't go to Ross or SGU; the potential costs far outweigh the benefits. I've been accepted to the Tuoro Nevada post bac and will be starting that in July. I'm also retaking the MCAT in April. Though I have to wait till I'm 42 to start medical school, I'd rather take this year to strengthen my app and make sure that I'll have a residency when I come out on the other side.

Hello,

I have been accepted to both SGU and Ross U in the Caribbean and am not sure if I should pick one or the other. I also have open applications for US allopathic and osteopathic schools that I am waiting to hear back from (not good as it is so late in the cycle). Without digressing, I am here to do a cost benefit analysis between these two schools and any personal insight you guys can provide from your own experiences!

Thank you in advance,
Preintel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SDN Mobile

Like you, I've been accepted at Ross and while its tempting for me to take off to the island and start working towards my dream of becoming a physician, the risk of not securing a residency after graduation is a risk that I am not willing to take. I've spoken with a number of current and past Ross students and most of them have said that the international route will potentially leave you holding an empty residency bag. In fact, my Ross interviewer told me that I would be better served by applying to U.S. lower tier M.D. and/or D.O. programs because of the uncertain position that IMG/FMG graduates will face in the residency match. My advice? Don't go to Ross or SGU; the potential costs far outweigh the benefits. I've been accepted to the Tuoro Nevada post bac and will be starting that in July. I'm also retaking the MCAT in April. Though I have to wait till I'm 42 to start medical school, I'd rather take this year to strengthen my app and make sure that I'll have a residency when I come out on the other side.

Whoa, wait, 42 years old to start med school?!

So, you wouldn't be licensed to practice till you are 49 or possibly later?

I hope I'm reading this wrong.

Whoa, wait, 42 years old to start med school?!

So, you wouldn't be licensed to practice till you are 49 or possibly later?

I hope I'm reading this wrong.

I was in my early thirties when I started Ross in 2001. There were very few students who were older than I was at the time.

Times have changed. I don't want to discourage anyone who is pursuing a dream, but I agree with this sentiment above.

I would seriously recommend that you do some real soul searching if you are over 35-years-old and considering starting a career in medicine, unless of course you are already independently wealthy.

-Skip

I was in my early thirties when I started Ross in 2001. There were very few students who were older than I was at the time.

Times have changed. I don't want to discourage anyone who is pursuing a dream, but I agree with this sentiment above.

I would seriously recommend that you do some real soul searching if you are over 35-years-old and considering starting a career in medicine, unless of course you are already independently wealthy.

-Skip

It's not just that. It's also the fact that if actually accepted into residency at the age of 46 (exponentially lower chances) that is already 20 years of a healthcare down the drain, as opposed to hiring a resident in their mid-20s. There's a larger issue with this and Im sure a PD would think twice. It's not just the individual candidate at play in this situation.

It's not just that. It's also the fact that if actually accepted into residency at the age of 46 (exponentially lower chances) that is already 20 years of a healthcare down the drain, as opposed to hiring a resident in their mid-20s. There's a larger issue with this and Im sure a PD would think twice. It's not just the individual candidate at play in this situation.

Agreed. :thumbup:

-Skip

All of my discussions w/ PDs, admissiobs types, current and former medical students have indicated, with a few exceptions, that my age will not be at issue. For me, being a physician is always something that I have wanted to do; I had a 20 year career as an Army and Air Force medic with which to determine if medicine is where I want to be. This isn't some half baked poorly thought out idea on my part. I had family obligations that meant that I had to put my dreams on hold for a little while but now my time has arrived and I'm going to sieze the moment.

Agreed. :thumbup:

-Skip

Reactions: 1 user
All of my discussions w/ PDs, admissiobs types, current and former medical students have indicated, with a few exceptions, that my age will not be at issue. For me, being a physician is always something that I have wanted to do; I had a 20 year career as an Army and Air Force medic with which to determine if medicine is where I want to be. This isn't some half baked poorly thought out idea on my part. I had family obligations that meant that I had to put my dreams on hold for a little while but now my time has arrived and I'm going to sieze the moment.

It's upsetting that so many people would blatantly lie to you.

Your age will be the very first and most concerning part for you to overcome until you are licensed. Simple issue here is that the investment into your training will result in a significantly lower yield than others half your age. Further specializing will put you closer to having only 10 years outside of soft-retirement.

All of my discussions w/ PDs, admissiobs types, current and former medical students have indicated, with a few exceptions, that my age will not be at issue.

no PD or "admissions type" will ever tell you that your age would be a factor because they don't want a law suit. behind closed doors it might be a different story though.

that being said i dont necessarily agree with the argument that an adcom or PD might be dissuaded from accepting you because of your age. it's really of no consequence to them how long you practice as long as you are hard working and successful during your tenure at the med school or residency program.

I have had a few PDs and admissions folks tell me that my age would be a factor in admissions and residency decisions but I have had more to say that it would not be. I've also met a fair number of individuals that went to medical school after the age of 35 and they are thriving as students and/or practicing physicians now (some of whom specialized). Bottom line, I'm doing this irrespective of what the stats say my odds of becoming a physician will be.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have had a few PDs and admissions folks tell me that my age would be a factor in admissions and residency decisions but I have had more to say that it would not be. I've also met a fair number of individuals that went to medical school after the age of 35 and they are thriving as students and/or practicing physicians now (some of whom specialized). Bottom line, I'm doing this irrespective of what the stats say my odds of becoming a physician will be.

(1) Define "few".

(2) You are 42-years-old. You will be 46-years-old when you will complete your medical degree. You will be 49-years-old, at the earliest, when you have finished a residency and can practice on your own. That will also be in the year 2020, provided you start now. You will also be probably $140,000-$160,000 (roughly) in debt, if not more. You also have to factor in all of the lost wages in whichever field you're employed-in now over the next seven years. Then, if all goes well, you will begin realistically re-earning a decent wage (residency doesn't count) when you're 49-years-old... at the earliest and unless you specialize (which will take longer). You are also likely to begin working very hard in a dynamic and changing healthcare environment - not in a good way, mind you, for physicians - to begin both paying off your med-school debt, paying your bills, and saving for retirement. And, this assumes everything goes as planned.

There are two schools of thought here, in my mind. The first one is that "you're gonna be 49-years-old anyway" and, if this is your dream and calling, then nothing will deter you. I would, however, examine very hard what your motivations are and what you hope to expect by being called "doctor" one day because, trust me, it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

The second school of thought is that you want to secure some sort of future and that you will maximize your earning potential, in the long run, over what it currently is now. I would simply tell you not to hedge your bets. There is, yes, predicted to be a huge doctor shortage, but this is mostly in rural areas and in primary practice. I believe that this will become the domain of the "independent" midlevel by the time you graduate your residency. So, unless you can figure out a way to make a lucrative living in primary care, you're going to have a lot of debt and a short time to pay it off. Your family, if you have one that depends on you, should be strongly considered in that regard.

Say you specialize... this will not be easier coming from a Caribbean school as the increasing number of spots in U.S. medical schools (both MD and DO programs) is going to significantly close that door. That's not to say that you can't get into a general training program, like Internal Medicine, and then switch later. But, this again is going to take more time earning the fairly paltry "stipend" paid by most training programs (with which you're supposed to cover your living expenses AND start paying off your school loans).

Then there's also the consideration of being almost 50-years-old (or older) and essentially starting out in a new career. I'm in the middle of my fourth year of private practice, am in my early 40's now, and am still learning the game (and still considered a "junior" partner in my practice). Guys the age you're gonna be when you start will be the power brokers in your practice, and you will not be their equal. You'll be on the level of the guy in his early thirties just starting out. By the time that guy is your age, he'll have 20 years of experience in practice.

I'm sure (or I hope) that you've considered these things. If you're fit and don't have a family history of health issues, no reason you can't practice until you're 70-years-old. Just be prepared to be well behind the 8-ball when you start. Yes, other people have done it. How many look back with regret is a different issue, and one I personally don't have an answer for. I can tell you, though, having been ten-years your junior when I started this that it is a far different journey than you can envision now. And, depending on what field you go into, it may not be everything you'd hoped or dreamed it would be.

Just more to consider. Good luck whatever you decide.

-Skip

As I stated before, I have thought about this (my age in relation to when I will start my 2nd career). My family is supportive of me and we have a plan in place to minimize my debt from medical school. Lost wages aren't an issue for me; I have already completed one 20 year career and my military retirement will help to ensure that I'll be comfortable when I do retire. I'm not sure why you brought up the Carib schools; the OP stated that he was thinking about going that route. I have decided against that route in favor of retaking my MCAT next month and attending Touro-Nevada's Post Bac this year in the hopes that the program will boost my app to US D.O. schools (current stats 3.45 overall, 3.2 science, 25 S MCAT but the score has expired, URM with a crapload of research, healthcare, and life experience). I'm not concerned about specializing; my interests are EM, IM, FM and PM&R. I could possibly see doing a fellowship in sports med but otherwise, I won't be in residency for more than 3 years, 4 at the most. So long as I remain in good health (and I am) and feel young enough to tackle this (and I do), then I have every intention becoming a Dr.

P.S.- You asked me to quantify how much is more than a few in terms of the PD's and admissions folks that I have spoken with. I've contacted admissions reps at every D.O. school in the nation and have ongoing relationships with reps from 10 or 12 of them. I've contacted 15 or so M.D. schools and have spoken with 20-25 residency directors. One in particular from a program at Stanford U was one that specifically said that my age would be a factor in their decision and there were two others that said the same thing. Most have stated that it won't be an issue...

(1) Define "few".

(2) You are 42-years-old. You will be 46-years-old when you will complete your medical degree. You will be 49-years-old, at the earliest, when you have finished a residency and can practice on your own. That will also be in the year 2020, provided you start now. You will also be probably $140,000-$160,000 (roughly) in debt, if not more. You also have to factor in all of the lost wages in whichever field you're employed-in now over the next seven years. Then, if all goes well, you will begin realistically re-earning a decent wage (residency doesn't count) when you're 49-years-old... at the earliest and unless you specialize (which will take longer). You are also likely to begin working very hard in a dynamic and changing healthcare environment - not in a good way, mind you, for physicians - to begin both paying off your med-school debt, paying your bills, and saving for retirement. And, this assumes everything goes as planned.

There are two schools of thought here, in my mind. The first one is that "you're gonna be 49-years-old anyway" and, if this is your dream and calling, then nothing will deter you. I would, however, examine very hard what your motivations are and what you hope to expect by being called "doctor" one day because, trust me, it's not all that it's cracked up to be.

The second school of thought is that you want to secure some sort of future and that you will maximize your earning potential, in the long run, over what it currently is now. I would simply tell you not to hedge your bets. There is, yes, predicted to be a huge doctor shortage, but this is mostly in rural areas and in primary practice. I believe that this will become the domain of the "independent" midlevel by the time you graduate your residency. So, unless you can figure out a way to make a lucrative living in primary care, you're going to have a lot of debt and a short time to pay it off. Your family, if you have one that depends on you, should be strongly considered in that regard.

Say you specialize... this will not be easier coming from a Caribbean school as the increasing number of spots in U.S. medical schools (both MD and DO programs) is going to significantly close that door. That's not to say that you can't get into a general training program, like Internal Medicine, and then switch later. But, this again is going to take more time earning the fairly paltry "stipend" paid by most training programs (with which you're supposed to cover your living expenses AND start paying off your school loans).

Then there's also the consideration of being almost 50-years-old (or older) and essentially starting out in a new career. I'm in the middle of my fourth year of private practice, am in my early 40's now, and am still learning the game (and still considered a "junior" partner in my practice). Guys the age you're gonna be when you start will be the power brokers in your practice, and you will not be their equal. You'll be on the level of the guy in his early thirties just starting out. By the time that guy is your age, he'll have 20 years of experience in practice.

I'm sure (or I hope) that you've considered these things. If you're fit and don't have a family history of health issues, no reason you can't practice until you're 70-years-old. Just be prepared to be well behind the 8-ball when you start. Yes, other people have done it. How many look back with regret is a different issue, and one I personally don't have an answer for. I can tell you, though, having been ten-years your junior when I started this that it is a far different journey than you can envision now. And, depending on what field you go into, it may not be everything you'd hoped or dreamed it would be.

-Skip

I'm glad you've thought about these things. I'm sure having a military pension will help.

I'm not sure why you brought up the Carib schools; the OP stated that he was thinking about going that route.

Well, this is the Caribbean sub-forum. And, I probably conjoined your and the other poster's info in my mind. You can't see who wrote what anymore on SDN until you log-in. Mea culpa.

I have decided against that route in favor of retaking my MCAT next month and attending Touro-Nevada's Post Bac this year in the hopes that the program will boost my app to US D.O. schools (current stats 3.45 overall, 3.2 science, 25 S MCAT but the score has expired, URM with a crapload of research, healthcare, and life experience).

If you get into Touro's program, you can expect to spend up to $50K/year for your education. Including the post-bac (which will tack-on an extra year), you're looking at being roughly $250k in debt by the time you finish your undergrad medical degree at 47-years-old.

I'm not concerned about specializing; my interests are EM, IM, FM and PM&R. I could possibly see doing a fellowship in sports med but otherwise, I won't be in residency for more than 3 years, 4 at the most. So long as I remain in good health (and I am) and feel young enough to tackle this (and I do), then I have every intention becoming a Dr.

Each are very different specialties with their own challenges. I would look at what there is currently a field where there is a significant need and significant shortage. primary care may be this area, but is not lucrative. When I was going through the match, no one wanted to go into Psych. Now that is a very hot field with a huge shortage, and some psychiatrists are pulling down the big bucks. Same for Anesthesiology (my specialty), but that wave has crested and the field is getting pretty saturated, unless you are willing to go somewhere where there's a shortage. By the time you'd finish (i.e. 2022), I have no idea what this field will be like.

So, I would not rule-out specializing at this point, were I in your shoes. I'm trying to stress to you that this is as much a financial decision as it is a "mystical calling". Many would-be matriculants don't look at it that way. This is a point I cannot overstress enough. They are selling you a dream; you're going to have to pay for it.... in SO many different ways. I don't think (right now) you can fully appreciate that, however currently well-funded you are. This lifestyle (and, yes, it is a lifestyle and not just a job or profession) changes you in more ways than you can now possibly imagine.

P.S.- You asked me to quantify how much is more than a few in terms of the PD's and admissions folks that I have spoken with. I've contacted admissions reps at every D.O. school in the nation and have ongoing relationships with reps from 10 or 12 of them. I've contacted 15 or so M.D. schools and have spoken with 20-25 residency directors. One in particular from a program at Stanford U was one that specifically said that my age would be a factor in their decision and there were two others that said the same thing. Most have stated that it won't be an issue...

I hope you're right. This is a much tighter, snobby club than a lot of people realize, especially if you want to go to a bigger well-known residency program. It can be hard to get into the club, unless your pedigree is impeccable.

Good luck!

-Skip

(1) Define "few".

-Skip

Dude, just let this dude pursue his dream. You only have one life, you aren't getting any younger. If you've always wanted to be a doc then apply. By the age of 40 every decision you make has probably been thought out way more than someone who is only 20.

Trust me when I say that I'm doing this cone hell or high water. So long as I feel young and I have the support of family and friends, I plan to be a physician.

Dude, just let this dude pursue his dream. You only have one life, you aren't getting any younger. If you've always wanted to be a doc then apply. By the age of 40 every decision you make has probably been thought out way more than someone who is only 20.

Age is just a number. My dad (IMG) started is residency at the age of 51 (his first choice). He did fine and enjoys his practice.

Regarding these "four years from now" predictions being thrown around here: can someone provide actual sources for this?

Point out one place where I said "don't do this."

I'm just trying to paint a broader picture of the considerations one has to make if they decide to start medical school past the age of 35. It is not what you think it will be, no matter how successful or happy with your choice you may eventually become.

-Skip

rather go to PA school. the Caribbean schools are too risky these days. Either US MD or DO If you can do that, I would recommend PA school.

Dunno about PA school. I wouldn't want to work under a physician for my entire career.

Hey guys. I'm a 4th year, freshly-matched medical student at SGU and I matched at a very competitive program (and many of my classmates did great as well!) I cannot speak to Ross, but SGU is a terrific program and I could not be where I am without the support and guidance of my school. Year after year we land competitive programs and have the highest rate of USMLE Step 1 pass rates. You're wrong if you think the school is anything less than terrific when our published materials clearly show the opposite. If you still don't believe me, please visit our website and check out the matches from 2014. There is no reason someone from SGU cannot succeed. They literally give you all the tools and support to do well and many, many of us do.

Hey guys. I'm a 4th year, freshly-matched medical student at SGU and I matched at a very competitive program (and many of my classmates did great as well!) I cannot speak to Ross, but SGU is a terrific program and I could not be where I am without the support and guidance of my school. Year after year we land competitive programs and have the highest rate of USMLE Step 1 pass rates. You're wrong if you think the school is anything less than terrific when our published materials clearly show the opposite. If you still don't believe me, please visit our website and check out the matches from 2014. There is no reason someone from SGU cannot succeed. They literally give you all the tools and support to do well and many, many of us do.

What and where did you match into? And what was your step one score?

Then why does half of each incoming class fail year after year?

Then why does half of each incoming class fail year after year?

They don't. We historically lose between 8-10% of the class each term.

Some people from Caribbean schools do well, yes. But people reading this down the road should understand that being from a Caribbean med school does put you at a disadvantage when residency application time comes around, and more and more so as the competitiveness of your planned specialty goes up.

Some people from Caribbean schools do well, yes. But people reading this down the road should understand that being from a Caribbean med school does put you at a disadvantage when residency application time comes around, and more and more so as the competitiveness of your planned specialty goes up.

What do you mean? The 2014 SGU, Ross, and AUC placements in this year's Match all look pretty impressive to me, with most going Peds, IM, and FP (as usual) and some at really good programs, with a lot of choice specialties, too.

http://postgrad.sgu.edu/ResidencyAppointmentDirectory.aspx?year=2014

https://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/residencyappointments.cfm

http://www.aucmed.edu/alumni/residency-placement/residency-placements.aspx

These schools are helping to fill a huge gap in primary care. For that they should be applauded, not lambasted.

-Skip

Not lambasting and have no ill will towards them myself. I wish the Caribbean folks all the best. I'm just saying that it can be a complicating factor for competitive programs in a given specialty, like IM or GS, or for statistically more competitive fields themselves, like the surgical subspecialties or radiology.

Not lambasting and have no ill will towards them myself. I wish the Caribbean folks all the best. I'm just saying that it can be a complicating factor for competitive programs in a given specialty, like IM or GS, or for statistically more competitive fields themselves, like the surgical subspecialties or radiology.

Well, yes, no one is arguing that. It all depends on having realistic expectations when you go. Having said that, I am a board-certified anesthesiologist and make quite a nice living in private practice. I also have classmates doing quite well in cardiology, interventional radiology, and gastroenterology just to name a few "choice" specialties.

-Skip

I know you don't want to hear this, but the advice you need is to not go to the caribbean. While it's true that there are practicing Caribbean doctors in this country, it is getting harder and harder to follow in their footsteps due to new laws and the looming residency crunch. But there are still solid options for you. Do what I did and apply to the BMS program at RFUMS. There are still spots open for this next fall, and all you have to do is get As or Bs in all of the classes and you'll be a US MD student in a year's time. If you have the stats to get into SGU or Ross, you have the stats to get into BMS. It's a much more conservative approach than heading offshore. If you are truly willing to work to compensate for your low undergrad stats, BMS will give you an amazing opportunity. Just my $0.02.

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Degreeprograms/BiomedicalSciences.aspx

I'm confused
Do you automatically get into the MD program after the BMS ? Or is it the PA program ?
How does it really work? Can you give more details?

What do you mean? The 2014 SGU, Ross, and AUC placements in this year's Match all look pretty impressive to me, with most going Peds, IM, and FP (as usual) and some at really good programs, with a lot of choice specialties, too.

http://postgrad.sgu.edu/ResidencyAppointmentDirectory.aspx?year=2014

https://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/residencyappointments.cfm

http://www.aucmed.edu/alumni/residency-placement/residency-placements.aspx

These schools are helping to fill a huge gap in primary care. For that they should be applauded, not lambasted.

-Skip
Does anyone know what percent of Seniors are unmatched from SGU,Ross, and AUC?
I believe the consensus is that 50 percent of IMG are unmatched. What about each individual school?

Thank you man! I am so happy you shared this information. Mainly because if I attend SGU, I will know I have a decent chance of matching.
Do you know why the 20 to 25 percent do not match?

As to why 20-25 % do not match, there are a number of factors at play, ranging from low board scores, applying unrealistically (for instance, applying to competitive specialties/programs without a backup, when your own scores are mediocre for those particular specialties), applying to an insufficient number of programs, applying late, or any combination of the above. Or some may choose to forego the match and take a prematch if offered, although this is changing, as I believe prematches are no longer being permitted.

Also to a lot of the folks earlier talking about taking a postbacc to improve your chances of getting into a us md school I have some choice words. First of all med schools don't look at postbaccs favorably anymore and that 'trick' is closing even if you get a nice masters 4.0 gpa, 30-35+ mcat. It only helps if you are *already* getting interviews and on the high end of the waiting lists and I would say even then its a long shot. Its another reason I chose the Ross route otherwise I was recommended to by multiple folks in certain admissions positions to take a phd to md program. Its just my opinion but I would rather take the risk of proving myself at Ross first before working on a phd. I'm also really upset at people who shell out 20+ grand on a postbacc program where the school 'says' they will interview top scoring applicants or have some affiliation with like the masters of anatomy etc.. (a lot of times this is NOT true and its just for departments to make some extra moola). I basically asked an admissions person straight up in the same school if it was worth shelling out the money doing the postbacc over a phd to md program (which you get payed mind you) and got a very slippery answer..

Last edited:
Look. In December 2010 I had a cGPA of 2.39 and zero ECs.

In May 2013 I was accepted to a US MD program.

Do this the right way.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,

I have been accepted to both SGU and Ross U in the Caribbean and am not sure if I should pick one or the other. I also have open applications for US allopathic and osteopathic schools that I am waiting to hear back from (not good as it is so late in the cycle). Without digressing, I am here to do a cost benefit analysis between these two schools and any personal insight you guys can provide from your own experiences!

Thank you in advance,
Preintel

Alrighty lets lay some misinformation to rest. In response to plenty of these posts about the back door closing here is an example. I am Ross Univ. student and am mainly informed about the Ins/outs of my school. Yes I completely agree, if you want a more "sure fire" way to get into a residency than the stats support US med schools #1, DO #2, US citizen IMG #3, and Non US IMG #4, but that being said our stats are not in the gutter. Our 2014 Match list included something like 750-775 students who matched, and this was not only into Family medicine in the middle of no where. We matched in almost every state at University and community programs in fields like IM, Surgery, Peds, Ob-Gyn, Family, Anesthesia, Radiology, PM&R, Psych, and more. If you are a good student, pass your classes, work your butt off in your rotations, show initiative, and blah blah blah (do the stuff you are suppose to) then 9 out of 10 will get into a residency, and fellowships. That being said you do have to jump through more hoops along the way; moving to another country, (which was actually for me cool as hell), transitioning back to the US, our Admin needs some improvement when it comes to scheduling, and then some of the stigmas that go along with being a IMG. Fortunately, there are so many hospitals in the USA that have had exposure to us, that most of those stigmas are from people in non-affiliate institutions like. The main specialty that almost never accepts Ross/SGU students, (except for some rare occasions) is Dermatology, and possibly some specialist surgeons, but surgery is not my forte so I am not sure. If you have your heart set on this DO NOT GO TO A CARIB SCHOOL. Aside from that, work hard get awesome scores, learn a lot, get great letters of rec, and don't be a schmuck and you are golden. If you don't believe me just check out our match for 2014. https://www.rossu.edu/medical-school/residencyappointments.cfm All the best to all you Docs on here, and soon to be docs wherever you went to school. At the end of the day hopefully all of us are doing this for the right reasons.

Reactions: 2 users