SGU Post Baccalaureate Premedical Program

Discussion in 'Saint George's University Forum (Sponsored)' started by HTX, Dec 21, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. HTX

HTX

Pre-Medical
    Hi all,

I received a call from an SGU Enrollment Counselor yesterday about the new Post Baccalaureate Premedical Program offered at SGU. He pointed me to the following page for information on the program: http://www.sgu.edu/news-events/news-archives10-sgu-post-baccalaureatepremedical-program.html

I am intrigued by the possibility of a guaranteed spot in the MD program, but am a little unsure of whether I should apply mainly because I would be applying for the charter class.

A little about my background: I completed by Bachelors (no pre-med courses besides calculus) here in the US, and will also be completing my MBA in February. I'm already scheduled to start taking my pre-med courses at a US university beginning in January. My undergrad GPA is pretty bad (2.8) but my graduate GPA is currently a 3.5.

Based on my calculations I can realistically bring my cumulative undergrad GPA up to about a 3.1 if I can achieve a 3.5 sGPA in my pre-med courses.

I guess my question is would I be better off doing my pre-med courses here in the US, take the MCAT, and try for an acceptance in a US school (which seems doubtful to me right now), or should I apply for this program?
  2. Richardh

Richardh

SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you want to take a post-bac premed program, you should consider those in the states :) It will be far better off for you if you're a US citizen because you can then use those credits that you earned through the post-bac program for other programs in the states (it can't be said the same thing if you take the post-bac program at SGU). Aim for US schools first before thinking about other options :thumbup:
  3. CrunchBox11

CrunchBox11

Medical Student
    Hi HTX,

While you are right, the Post Bac program will be starting its first semester at SGU, the main goal of the program is just like any other Post Bac - to introduce you to the core sciences and prepare you for the MCAT. In addition, as you mentioned, as long as you can do well academically throughout the course of the program and achieve a certain score on the MCAT, you would be guaranteed a position in the following year's medical program. If you have any questions on the specifics, feel free to ask!
  4. GSPstudent

GSPstudent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Richard is correct is saying that you may not be able to have those credits recognized for another med program in the US. I think you GPA may be too low for almost all US med schools, considering the competitive applicants these days. A potential GPA of a 3.1 is even below avg for SGU. The cut-off MCAT for advancement into the Med school is a 24, which gives you a lot of leeway for getting a secured spot into SGU considering the avg is around a 26/27 for most applicants.

Hope that helps!

As