SGU Second Year Classes, Transfers, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trader56

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about the classes and structure for Year Two of the Basic Sciences at SGU?

Also, can anyone comment on the success SGU students have had transferring to a U.S. school after taking Step 1?

There is the possibility that I would be able to transfer with advanced standing into SGU to begin Second Year, and I'm trying to get a feel for this.

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

if you are going to SGU with the hopes of transferring to a US school I wouldn't get my hopes too high. It is ultra competative to transfer out and not only are grades important, you need to be very lucky or know someone. there are a decent number of student with 4.0 or around there with 230-260's on their Step 1 who do not transfer. But there still definately are people who transfer out- usually anywhere from 3-8 per year out of ~225. You have to find out which schools accept transfers, and especially those that have accepted SGU students and target them.
Even if you don't transfer you will be much better off for your clinical years through SGU. You can check out my other message for other reasons why.

I agree with Kwijibo. Don't expect to transfer. I finished At SGU in 95 and had about 10 people transfer out of close to 200 students. They all had an "in" somewhere and did very well on the boards and had great GPAs.

SGU will give you a great education and you should do well in your residency and you should be a competative candidate for residency depending on the specialty of your choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to you both for your replies!

I may PM you with a few questions if that's allright?

HockeyDoc said:
I agree with Kwijibo. Don't expect to transfer. I finished At SGU in 95 and had about 10 people transfer out of close to 200 students. They all had an "in" somewhere and did very well on the boards and had great GPAs.

SGU will give you a great education and you should do well in your residency and you should be a competative candidate for residency depending on the specialty of your choice.

I don't understand why would someone want to transfer out if they are doing exceptionally well..even if it's the carribeans.. is it that bad?? i don't get it...

shaggy411 said:
I don't understand why would someone want to transfer out if they are doing exceptionally well..even if it's the carribeans.. is it that bad?? i don't get it...

No its really not that bad but transfering out will open more doors for you. If you are dead set on a very competitive specialty that is difficult even for US grads to get its worth trying.