SGU's Global Scholars Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringMICardioDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*Note: The purpose of this thread is to get feedback from current SGU students who have either completed, are enrolled in or know other SGU students of the Global Scholars Program. Please only comment if you have specific knowledge of the GSP or have questions regarding the program. A referendum of the quality of SGU medical education is not why this thread was started, so please keep those opinions to yourself. Thanks!

Most of the previous threads about the Global Scholars Program in Newcastle (Northumbria) UK are pretty outdated. If accepted to SGU I will be considering this program and wanted to get opinions from SGU students. If you are a SGU student or SGU-GSP student please share your experiences. Thanks.

FYI: As of July 24, 2009, GSP students no longer have licensing issues in NJ or CA.

STUDENTS OF ST. GEORGE'S UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE
We are pleased and proud to announce that, following its intense
review process, the Medical Board of California voted to recognize the Keith B. Taylor Global Scholars Program at the University of Northumbria, Newcastle, England (KBTGSP). The Board's recognition was granted, retroactive to the program's inception in January 2007. The recognition of the KBTGSPC, by the Medical Board of California, enables those SGU SOM students, who have completed, are presently enrolled or plan to enroll in the KBTGSP, to apply for clinical and residency training and licensure in the State of California.

Chancellor Charles Modica was present at the July 24, 2009 meeting of the Medical Board of California to answer any questions the Board may have had and to convey the appreciation of SGU for the Board's diligence in maintaining high standards for medical education and its recognition of SGU's ongoing compliance with those standards. We thank all the members of the Administration, Faculty, Staff and Student Body who contributed to the successful review of the KBTGSP by the Medical Board of California

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Consider the school's reputation.
(FYI: licensing still requires a US residency, even in NJ & CA. CA is also a pretty saturated market, is it not?)

Consider the school's reputation.
(FYI: licensing still requires a US residency, even in NJ & CA. CA is also a pretty saturated market, is it not?)

85% of SGU graduates who pass their boards get residency in the U.S. I that the reputation of St. George's is far better than most of the other Foreign Medical programs (at least from what I have heard).

Anyone else have an opinion on the reputation of SGU in terms of getting U.S. residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
85% of SGU graduates who pass their boards get residency in the U.S. I that the reputation of St. George's is far better than most of the other Foreign Medical programs (at least from what I have heard).

Anyone else have an opinion on the reputation of SGU in terms of getting U.S. residency?

That's not saying much. SGU should be your last resort and even then I personally wouldn't do it.

That's not saying much. SGU should be your last resort and even then I personally wouldn't do it.
I appreciate your opinion. However the purpose of this thread is to get feedback from current SGU students. I will clarify this in my original post.

I appreciate your opinion. However the purpose of this thread is to get feedback from current SGU students. I will clarify this in my original post.

Then post it in the International forum. This is the allopathic pre-med forum.

Then post it in the International forum. This is the allopathic pre-med forum.
I do not see a forum dedicated to FMG's. In addition, since more than 85% of SGU students that pass the board get allopathic MD residencies in the States' I don't feel this is an inappropriate place for this thread. I am sure if the SDN moderators feel the thread should be moved, they will do so. I don't understand your hostility to be honest, you don't have to post here if you do not want to do so. And if you don't want updates, you can always unsubscribe.

I do not see a forum dedicated to FMG's. In addition, since more than 85% of SGU students that pass the board get allopathic MD residencies in the States' I don't feel this is an inappropriate place for this thread. I am sure if the SDN moderators feel the thread should be moved, they will do so. I don't understand your hostility to be honest, you don't have to post here if you do not want to do so. And if you don't want updates, you can always unsubscribe.

lol :laugh:

I do not see a forum dedicated to FMG's.

Uh, yes there is a IMG forum and I saw you post in it earlier. Do you not like it for some reason?