Shadow a doctor who has committed financial crimes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karayaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just met a friendly doctor this morning, who offered to let me shadow. It's a new specialty for me, so I was excited. I looked up the doc when I got home, and at the top of the search results was a report that the doc had pled guilty to healthcare fraud more than 5 years ago.

Now I'm worried that if I shadow that doc, and list it on my app, that adcoms will think I condoned the doc's actions.

Would this be a red flag?
@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM ?

Members don't see this ad.

No. You're shadowing a doctor to see what his job is like, not condoning fraud. Don't be a fool.

Wow..
Pretty much the picture of Neurotic pre-med..

You'll be fine.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is he infamously fraudulent?
When I typed the name into google various news reports were right at the top, but it was much less than millions of dollars. I doubt many people know about it, but it's pretty obvious if you look. The local paper revisited the story earlier this year because the doc just plead guilty.

100% concur. I have no idea whether the writers of the LORs I see are saints or serial killers.
Oh good :)

As long as you have a clean criminal record, you're fine. Remember, ADCOMs care about your accomplishments, not theirs (though committing fraud isn't really an accomplishment). I'm sure there are plenty of doctors with criminal records which aren't at the top of Google results, and pre-meds shadow them and get LORs from there. No problems here.

As long as you have a clean criminal record, you're fine. Remember, ADCOMs care about your accomplishments, not theirs (though committing fraud isn't really an accomplishment). I'm sure there are plenty of doctors with criminal records which aren't at the top of Google results, and pre-meds shadow them and get LORs from there. No problems here.
side note, are docs with criminal records ever hampered by their past?

I would imagine it would impact them when it comes to being hired by hospitals or providing testimony as an expert witness.