Shadow vs work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninaa542

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was just wondering if schools require shadowing dentist(s). I've been working on finishing my undergrad and last spring I got certified as a dental assistant so I've been working part time during the year and full time over summer. I was wondering if I should continue working or start getting shadowing hours?

I've been hands on with assisting almost every procedure except oral surgery and implants.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure shadowing hours are encouraged because we're actually learning and experiencing about what we will be doing in the future.

Dental assisting is practically shadowing and more so you should be fine with dental assisting.

Besides, I'd rather get paid and get dental experience then to just stand around, watch and not get paid

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your input.

I definitely agree with you about getting paid instead of just standing around. I'm going take this summer break as my opportunity to shadow a few dentists. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been wondering the exact same thing! I can't find any strong consensus. I'm considering emailing a dental school. It would make sense that assisting would be okay/better, but that's not a risk I'd like to take!