shadowing a doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kypreos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so I know ive come off a little on the bad side with the forumn and trying to shadow a physician. There is a nuerosurgeon at my church who I have spoken to a couple of times. He came up to me and started asking me questions like where i was in the application process, when i was taking the mcat etc. Really nice guy, so i figuered I would ask him if he would be interested in allowing me to shadow him and he said yeah. I couldnt believe it he asked me what do you want to see? surgery or do you want to follow me for rounds my answer= ANYTHING lol he goes ok well when are you free etc so we set up a schedule and tommorow im meeting him at 10 AM for rounds, he is actually a really cool guy and we started BSing on the phone etc he was like tommorow shouldnt be 2 busy although today im getting hammered with patients. anyways i guess my question to you guys is this. What should I wear? and what questions should I ask him. He seems like he is actually pretty new to the whole shadowing thing as well? considering the hospitol he works at is NOT a teaching hospitol.

ok long story short. Im shadowing a neurosurgeon were going to be doing rounds tommorow mourning 10 AM, what to wear?(im guessing dress pants/ collared shirt. Also what questions should I be asking him? I just don't want to look like a jerk here. but tonight I will be watching nuerosurgey on the net lol

Members don't see this ad.

ok, so I know ive come off a little on the bad side with the forumn and trying to shadow a physician. There is a nuerosurgeon at my church who I have spoken to a couple of times. He came up to me and started asking me questions like where i was in the application process, when i was taking the mcat etc. Really nice guy, so i figuered I would ask him if he would be interested in allowing me to shadow him and he said yeah. I couldnt believe it he asked me what do you want to see? surgery or do you want to follow me for rounds my answer= ANYTHING lol he goes ok well when are you free etc so we set up a schedule and tommorow im meeting him at 10 AM for rounds, he is actually a really cool guy and we started BSing on the phone etc he was like tommorow shouldnt be 2 busy although today im getting hammered with patients. anyways i guess my question to you guys is this. What should I wear? and what questions should I ask him. He seems like he is actually pretty new to the whole shadowing thing as well? considering the hospitol he works at is NOT a teaching hospitol.

ok long story short. Im shadowing a neurosurgeon were going to be doing rounds tommorow mourning 10 AM, what to wear?(im guessing dress pants/ collared shirt. Also what questions should I be asking him? I just don't want to look like a jerk here. but tonight I will be watching nuerosurgey on the net lol

You probably shoud have asked him about dress attire when you spoke on the phone. But oh well, its not a big deal. You cant go wrong with dress pants and a collared shirt. If he wnats you to where something different, he'll tell you for future reference.

As far as what questions to ask, this is a question that has come up a lot in the recent weeks and I dont really understand it. He knows you are a pre med, he knows you have no idea about the specifics of neurosurgery (lets be real) and i HIGHLY doubt he expects you to come with these intelligent questions related to neurosurgery. Honestly, just show up with a good attitude, eager to learn, and ask questions as they come up! You dont need to have any prepared. Pay attention during patient visits and note if you find something interesting and/or have a question. When you are done with that patient, then ask the doc about it. Have no shame, and ask any/every question that you have no matter how silly you think it is. You can also ask him general questions about medicine....would he do it again? How did he choose neuro surgery? Pros/cons? You konw, stuff like that. I always have fun asking questions that people argue about so often on here. Who better to ask than a person who is actually practicing medicine (as opposed to argumentative pre meds?). No pressure, just have fun and try to learn what you can about an exciting field of medicine.

thanx a lot. I already know he went to med school @ NYU and is now a nuerosurgeon but i will be asking questions. Ill probobly ask him why he chose medicine and especially why neurosurgery lol not a very common specialty. thanks for the post. I'm excited and illbe wearing slacks and a button down/ collared shirt.