Shadowing an Optometrist in a Private Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbio

Lurker
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For current optometrists working in a private office, would/do you prefer students coming into the office and inquiring about shadowing or is it better to call and ask?
I'm in Washington State and am interested in shadowing an optometrist in an environment outside of a retail joint but every private practice that I have contacted aren't open to the idea.
Comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

For current optometrists working in a private office, would/do you prefer students coming into the office and inquiring about shadowing or is it better to call and ask?
I'm in Washington State and am interested in shadowing an optometrist in an environment outside of a retail joint but every private practice that I have contacted aren't open to the idea.
Comments or suggestions are appreciated.

For me personally, I would prefer that someone show up at my office, and ask me personally and they we could schedule a time right there. However, many doctors do not like unsolicited callers. That being said, your best bet may be to get in touch with the state association and see if they can find a provider who would be amenable to having you shadow.

Anyone around Indiana is welcome to shadow me. I'd rather have a call first.

Thanks for the advice :). I wish there were more optometrists like you guys in Washington State.