Shadowing at NIH Clinical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catalyst25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a post-bac at the NIH and interested in MD/PhD. I've wanted to get involved in shadowing a physician-scientist at the Clinical Center here, and although I have e-mailed around quite a lot, have not gotten any positive responses yet. Does anyone know of any physician-scientists at the NIH that allow post-bacs to shadow them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! You can shadow Dr. William Gahl (google him and see his 60-minutes episode). I can give you specifics if you PM me

Reactions: 1 users
If you're in the NICHD, there is a weekly pediatric genetics clinic run by two physician scientists you can shadow. The neurosurgery department is also very open to shadowing if you want to observe a procedure.

ETA: There's also the ICU shadowing program if you're interested in a more clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the suggestions! Unfortunately, I am not in NICHD. Also, I did contact a bunch of MD-PhDs in the neurosurgery department, but no one was able to take me on. Is there anyone in particular in neurosurgery that you know has taken on post-bacs? Thank you so much!! Great to hear that there are so many opportunities - the ICU shadowing program sounds exciting :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! Unfortunately, I am not in NICHD. Also, I did contact a bunch of MD-PhDs in the neurosurgery department, but no one was able to take me on. Is there anyone in particular in neurosurgery that you know has taken on post-bacs? Thank you so much!! Great to hear that there are so many opportunities - the ICU shadowing program sounds exciting :)
I just realized I never replied - sorry about that! The best way to set up shadowing is to go to their office in building 10. Talk to one of the secretaries there. They can show you the upcoming schedule, give you a consent form, and help you get it signed by the surgeon you want to shadow. In my experience the neurosurgeons there have been super friendly and willing to let you shadow. They're probably just not good about responding to email :laugh:

Yea thats true.... I did a summer internship at NIH and shadowed Dr. Zaghloul...Catalyst 25 have you been able to find someone to shadow? You may want to look into shadowing Dr. Zaghloul.

Catalyst25 do you know of any labs looking for postbacs? Are you finishing your postbac program?

Thanks guys for getting back to me! And actually, yes, someone told me about Dr. Zaghloul and I am planning on shadowing him this Wednesday...pretty excited about that :) I haven't contacted any other neurosurgeons since then, but have enrolled in the ICU shadowing program and am on the waiting list for shadowing in the genetics clinic (they were OK with me not being in NICHD). Thank you so much for the help/advice!

And Scienceyesplease, I just recently started at the NIH and am not leaving soon. However, I saw a recent posting on ClubPCR (yahoo group for NIH community) advertising a post-bac position. Sending a PM your way!

@catalyst25 I recently started at the NIH and I'm looking for some more clinical exposure. What did you do to get enrolled in the ICU shadowing program? I'm very interested!

You do not need much clinical exposure for MD-PhD admissions-maybe 40 hours. What else would you do in additon to being a scribe? Postbac time should skew heavily in the direction of research. MD-PhD admissions committees will wonder about your commitment to research if you do not devote a significant portion of your time to the lab.

is there a link or specific contact person for ICU rounds? I've been searching the website and cant seem to find it.