Shadowing Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When shadowing a doctor on rounds in a hospital (with a team of residents and interns), what's proper clothing to wear? It's in a children's hospital I volunteer in, and I know about the clothing regulations (no open-toed shoes, no fake nails, no jewelry in the NICU, etc). Can I wear a skirt and a button-down shirt? Will it matter at all?

What kind of questions do you ask doctors you shadow?

Members don't see this ad.

When shadowing a doctor on rounds in a hospital (with a team of residents and interns), what's proper clothing to wear? It's in a children's hospital I volunteer in, and I know about the clothing regulations (no open-toed shoes, no fake nails, no jewelry in the NICU, etc). Can I wear a skirt and a button-down shirt? Will it matter at all?

What kind of questions do you ask doctors you shadow?

Skirt and button down would be ok IMO as long as its not a short skirt...because thats kind of rude and im sure its looked down upon if your skirt was riding up or exposing too much leg, etc. especially in front of a bunch of young kids. At my hospital, they're really laidback about what i wear. I just asked them what theyd prefer me to wear (since general uniform is thick uncomfy khakhi pants and a disgusting teal polo) - they said scrubs were fine :)D), slacks n shirt without tie, etc. I think as long as you look like respectable and professional, you'll be fine. Church wear if you're ever in doubt :)

it depends on the type of doctor you are shadowing. last time i shadowed in a hospital i had to wear scrubs :love: