Shadowing Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kellycaitlin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a quick (probably dumb) question to ask about shadowing. The physicians in the area who are willing to have students shadow them, give their name/number/and most convenient times to shadow on a list that our Pre-Heath Advisor gives to students who have completed a certain number of course hours and maintained a certain GPA. The first physician I contacted is a Cardiologist, who would like for me to shadow on the 1st and 3rd wednesdays of the month, starting on the 3rd Wednesday of this March. I'm really excited to start with him, but I was really hoping to spend some of my spring break shadowing someone.

Would it be inappropriate to contact another physician about possibly shadowing them on the 2nd/4th wednesdays of the month with some possible extra days during Spring Break? Or should I just be happy with what the cardiologist is giving me?

Also, when he asked how long I wanted to shadow him for, he said that I'd get bored after a week or two, which I thought was sort of funny...although I hardly think it'll be true.

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be inappropriate to contact another physician about possibly shadowing them on the 2nd/4th wednesdays of the month with some possible extra days during Spring Break? Or should I just be happy with what the cardiologist is giving me?

Also, when he asked how long I wanted to shadow him for, he said that I'd get bored after a week or two, which I thought was sort of funny...although I hardly think it'll be true.

1. I don't think it would be inappropriate. Why would he care? Because you're cheating on him?

2. You're gonna get bored. I get bored by the end of one day of shadowing.

Well, great! Looks like I have phone calls to make on Monday. :D I just wasn't sure if you were supposed to take it one Physician at a time. I guess that's pretty ******ed of me though...lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
how many hours at a time do you guys usually shadow the MD?

how many hours at a time do you guys usually shadow the MD?

Depends on the specialty, but what I've done is probably [minimum 4, maximum 7, average 5]. Docs get to do lots of FUN paperwork so their 8 hour work day means ~5hr shadowing day.

Definitely shadow more than just a cardiologist. Get a taste of medicine from a wide variety of angles. You'll be more informed that way. You can also get some good experience outside of shadowing, so look into that as well.

Definitely shadow more than just a cardiologist. Get a taste of medicine from a wide variety of angles. You'll be more informed that way. You can also get some good experience outside of shadowing, so look into that as well.

Well, I have a list of Physicians I eventually want to shadow, all with different specialities. I just thought, for some reason, that you should shadow one Physician at a time. And as far as experience outside of shadowing, I'm actually a nurse's aide in the Float Pool, so I've seen all kinds of fun stuff outside of what physicians do. :D

i found a pretty good answer to my own question lol.

This came from catalystik:

"Typically, one shadows 2-3 types of specialties, for 8-40 hours each, depending on interest. "

Shadowing isn't like dating -- You won't get in trouble for seeing someone else on the side...

I think you meant to say "Shadowing IS like dating, you won't get in trouble for seeing someone else on the side."

Are people exclusive while dating? That seems out of place since the whole purpose of dating is to test the waters.

i found a pretty good answer to my own question lol.

This came from catalystik:

"Typically, one shadows 2-3 types of specialties, for 8-40 hours each, depending on interest. "

Only 2-3? I hope they don't look down on more than that, as long as your spend a fair amount of time with each....