Shadowing faux pas / awkward moment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it's possible to screw up a shadowing experience, but somehow no one ever writes about it. Let's tell some stories! (Surely, it will serve to benefit someone down the line.)

1. Have you ever heard of someone having an awkward moment, faux pas, or all out disaster while shadowing? What was it? Advice for others (so they don't do the same thing)?

2. Are there any unwritten rules about WHO is appropriate to shadow? (Example: Is it appropriate for a single older pre-med to ask a married gynecologist of the opposite sex if s/he can shadow? Is just any and every doctor equally appropriate for ANY pre-med to approach about shadowing?)

I suspect some of the discussion here might involve having lunch alone/with doctor, finding scrubs that fit, making conversation right topics/right times, asking for LoRs afterwards, "thank you's", asking questions, etc. Or stuff like this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ever-been-attracted-to-the-doc-youre-shadowing.1091344/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I remember once reading on this forum about how shadowing a pathologist may not necessarily count as "clinical experience"

2. No, there is no unwritten rule about who you can shadow married vs unmarried or young vs old or whatever. I'd assume everyone should be mature enough to realize that this is a professional relationship and nothing more. It's not like shadowing is some intimate affair. You're just following someone around for a few hours.

I suspect some of the discussion here might involve having lunch alone/with doctor, finding scrubs that fit, making conversation right topics/right times, asking for LoRs afterwards, "thank you's", asking questions, etc.

One should really work on their social skills if these are truly awkward situations for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll tell a story:

A friend of mine who was a Human Services major was required to go to a few Alcoholics Anonymous meetings for a class she was taking. Later on, she shadowed a doctor. Her and the doctor went in to see a patient, and it turns out that the patient recognized my friend:

The patient said to my friend right in front of the doctor, "Oh, I recognize you! You use to be in RECOVERY!" (...as if "recovery" was the name of some great place they had in common.) The patient continued, "I have hepatitis now from drinking and doing drugs. How is your recovery coming? I remember you from meetings!"

My friend reminded the patient that she was "there to listen" for a class she was taking. I think she did the right thing and it turned out fine after all.

Reactions: 3 users
A patient asked a doctor whether they should expect to have a black eye from falling (after doc had repaired an eyebrow lac with 7 sutures).

Shadow "No, you won't."

Doc "Yes, there will be bruising."

Shadow "Well around the stitches sure, but a black eye? Not in my opinion."

Doc "Please stop speaking in front of patients."

Good luck with that LOR buddy.

Reactions: 12 users
I participated in a shadowing program during which a nurse made arrangements for students to shadow various physicians, and we never actually had to contact the physicians until actually meeting them to shadow.

One day, I was scheduled to shadow an orthopedic surgeon, but the location was at a local surgery center instead of the hospital where I normally shadowed. I thought this was a bit odd, but I showed up at the surgery center anyway.

They definitely weren't expecting me. That was awkward.

Reactions: 1 user
coming up with another story instead...

Last edited:
I had shadowed a cardiologist when I was a freshman. We got out of a 7 a.m. surgery doing a valve replacement which took an hour and a half. We go up to the patient's room with his wife and daughter, where the doctor explained what happened, why he needed surgery, and explained what he did in surgery. Then, he and the wife left, leaving me and the daughter in the room (she was like 14 at the time). All of a sudden, the whole family walks in, worried out of their minds. Because I was wearing scrubs, they thought I was some sort of doctor/nurse/PA'/surgical assistant. They asked me a bunch of questions about what happened. So I just repeated what the doctor said verbatim. Half way through, the doctor walked back in and took over.

The doctor was pleased that I didn't run out of the room or start crying or something like that. I actually got a pretty good LOR from him to do summer research programs. Which I got into :p

Reactions: 1 users
in b4 some SDNer tried to diagnose the patient

Reactions: 2 users
There was a (ridiculous) post a while back about someone shadowing who developed a romantic/awkward relationship with the attending's wife.

Lulz

I broke the sterile field in an OR once, that was awkward.

I've seen med students during their pre rounds give patients advice that ends up being exactly the opposite of what the attending thinks is the right course of action. So during walking rounds the attending advises the patient they need to do X but the patient says no, they already talked with doctor Stevie (the ms3) and are going to try Y instead. Got very ugly.

Also have seen premeds shadowing an attending of the opposite sex too closely on occasion and accidentally following them into the rest room.

Reactions: 6 users
You can shadow whoever you want regardless of your trad/nontrad. You won't have to eat with the physician. You can wear either scrubs or professional dress. Just be professional and not awkward and everything is fine.

I was shadowing in the OR right before an emergency surgery was going to happen. About 20 staff members ran into the room to prep it. They pushed all furniture towards the walls to clear the way and create the sterile field. Guess where I was? Stuck against the wall, behind all the furniture.
Good thing the doctor I shadowed was friendly enough to bring me to the front as if nothing had happened :oops:

Reactions: 7 users
I was shadowing in the OR right before an emergency surgery was going to happen. About 20 staff members ran into the room to prep it. They pushed all furniture towards the walls to clear the way and create the sterile field. Guess where I was? Stuck against the wall, behind all the furniture.
Good thing the doctor I shadowed was friendly enough to bring me to the front as if nothing had happened :oops:

LOL

Interview oopsie:

Interviewer: "So, where do you see yourself in five years?"

Applicant (in thought): "Don't say doin' your wife. Don't say doin' your wife. Don't say doin' your wife."

Applicant (aloud): "Doin' your...son?"

I'm petrified that when interviewed I'll answer the "Why medicine?" question by saying "Chicks, money, power, chicks." :(