shadowing/hipaa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhoooaaaBUNDY

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you shadow a dentist who had a concern about this? I suppose I'll just write something up for pt's to sign, acknowledging that I'll be in the room, in an effort to relieve this dentist's worries, but I have no idea if this meets the code of almighty hipaa. Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

WhoooaaaBUNDY said:
Any of you shadow a dentist who had a concern about this? I suppose I'll just write something up for pt's to sign, acknowledging that I'll be in the room, in an effort to relieve this dentist's worries, but I have no idea if this meets the code of almighty hipaa. Suggestions?

As long as each patient verbally agrees its not an issue.

DrTacoElf said:
As long as each patient verbally agrees its not an issue.

Exactly. The dentist will probably introduce you to the patient and ask if they are comfortable with you observing the procedure and creating a form to be "HIPAA compliant" would probably be too much.

Members don't see this ad :)
The dentist I shadowed had me sign a all encompassing form which stated I would maintain pt's privacy, and then he just introduced me and asked each pt if it would be okay.

Wammy:
did you put down rock climbing as a manual dexterity skill on your Dskool apps?

Ah yes, thanks for the advice. It would be much better that I sign one form, than every pt be bothered with anything more than a quick introduction.

makwendo said:
Wammy:
did you put down rock climbing as a manual dexterity skill on your Dskool apps?
You bet I did. However most interviewrs asked me to explain. Most agreed once I explained trad climbing to them, but some still thought I was fishin'. Infact there were a few that was all we talked about.

ahh.....gotta get some insurance on them digits now....
a pulled tendon isn't fun for dskool....
but sending the V8 move that caused it is!! :D