Shadowing Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Javall

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got a job at a local hospital as a medical scribe in the ED. Also, I volunteer at a local clinic that provides free healthcare services to the uninsured and I tend to be a translator for the doctor at the clinic since we do see a lot of Spanish speakers. Would it be necessary to shadow additional doctors for medical school? Also, is the purpose of shadowing just to see what a doctor's lifestyle looks like?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could shadow a variety of physicians that interest you.

I scribed, shadowed 5-20 hours 6 years ago and still got multiple acceptances.... I don't think it was the shadowing that got me in ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing shows you what the physician's lifestyle is like, but it can also allow you to observe other healthcare settings more in depth.

You seem to be somewhat indirectly shadowing already, so I second with @Turkishking. Shadow more physicians if you have other specialties in mind. You will have to get in touch with other physicians (or perhaps asking physicians if they know those that allow students to shadow)...this may take effort, but it's up to you depending on what you're interested in.

For kicks, here's a similar thread I found that discusses if shadowing's necessary. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/is-shadowing-necessary.1133029/

Reactions: 1 user
I scribed, shadowed 5-20 hours 6 years ago and still got multiple acceptances.... I don't think it was the shadowing that got me in ;)
Where are you now?