shadowing in dallas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status Sciaticus

Anesthesiology and Interventional Pain Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I have been looking to shadow some doctors to boost my application. (so far i only have 40 hours with one doctor)

The problem is that I've been trying to cold call/e-mail/ reference doctors but none of them have replied back or been receptive to shadowing. Everyone is constantly bringing up HIPAA.

So I was wondering if anyone here had shadowed in Dallas, TX who might be able to throw out a name or two that I could use.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Sorry I don't have much to contribute, just wanted to say that I'm in basically the same position. I've been trying to get in touch with people at Parkland mostly, but they always bring up HIPAA. Someone recommended that I look into contacting private practice MDs and actually go to their office instead of calling / emailing. So I'm planning to do that next. Will let you know of any success!

Hi! Sorry I don't have much to contribute, just wanted to say that I'm in basically the same position. I've been trying to get in touch with people at Parkland mostly, but they always bring up HIPAA. Someone recommended that I look into contacting private practice MDs and actually go to their office instead of calling / emailing. So I'm planning to do that next. Will let you know of any success!

I'm planning on trolling all the offices as a last resort lol.. let me know if you find any and ill do the same!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, Children's used to - and the last time I checked still does - run a summer internship program called JumpStart. It won't help you now, but it's something you might want to look into if you'll be in Dallas for the summer. Just Google it. Your experience will vary depending upon the department you work in, but in my case I got to see several transplant cases and shadowed docs taking care of kids post-op. It was a great experience that I'd recommend if it seems interesting.

Good luck.

(sent from my phone)

Just FYI, Children's used to - and the last time I checked still does - run a summer internship program called JumpStart. It won't help you now, but it's something you might want to look into if you'll be in Dallas for the summer. Just Google it. Your experience will vary depending upon the department you work in, but in my case I got to see several transplant cases and shadowed docs taking care of kids post-op. It was a great experience that I'd recommend if it seems interesting.

Good luck.

(sent from my phone)

thanks for the response, but the problem is that I'm planning on applying in May so the summer programs arent as important as me getting to shadow people in the next few weeks or march at the latest.

Hi, I am a Dallas resident and had the same problem when in undergrad. No one in my family is in medicine, so I had to kind of go from scratch. I found shadowing jobs by sending formal letters with a resume to docs I found on google and asked to shadow, I called my former pediatrician and orthopedic surgeon who I'd seen growing up, my dad had 2 clients who were docs so they got me set up shadowing them for a bit, my youngest sister has a friend who's dad is a doc so I talked to him at one of her parties and he let me come shadow him, and I also let all of my friends and family friends know I was looking for a doctor to shadow and many of them knew someone who knew someone who introduced me. It is ALL about networking. Cold calling their office will never work, you must do something more formal. Showing up is good, but they are usually so busy they don't have time to talk to anyone. I have shadowed in hospitals and private clinics, you just have to sign a HIPPA acknowledgment form and get a TB test. Basically just be persistent and use any and all resources available to you. Best of luck!!

NickNaylor--Thanks for the info about JumpStart! It's too bad it didn't help the OP, but that information came just in time to help me! I'm getting together the application stuff now. Do you know how many people they take, and how competitive it is?

thanks for the response, but the problem is that I'm planning on applying in May so the summer programs arent as important as me getting to shadow people in the next few weeks or march at the latest.

You're applying to medical school next year, right? That was the exact situation I was in - submitted AMCAS on June 2nd, basically the second day of my internship. I still listed it and talked about it at almost every interview. But do what you will.

NickNaylor--Thanks for the info about JumpStart! It's too bad it didn't help the OP, but that information came just in time to help me! I'm getting together the application stuff now. Do you know how many people they take, and how competitive it is?

Awesome, glad it might help. I don't remember the exact numbers, but when I did the program (~3 years ago) there were 20 interns and I think there were... 100 applicants. About half got a phone interview and about half of those interviewed got positions.

You're applying to medical school next year, right? That was the exact situation I was in - submitted AMCAS on June 2nd, basically the second day of my internship. I still listed it and talked about it at almost every interview. But do what you will.

Im still going to apply to it LOL in case I dont get in to medical school this cycle which will then tremendously boost my upcoming one. I was just looking for some 20-30 hour shadowing gigs for the moment. always appreciate the help though!