Shadowing/Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alien4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I contacted a lot of DO's in my city because I am interested in applying to DO schools. Only one responded (hand surgeon) and they said I can shadow only 1-3 days max.
Is it still possible for me to get a letter of recommendation from him?
How do I ask him and do I save the letter till I apply?
I am planning to apply to med schools next summer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I contacted a lot of DO's in my city because I am interested in applying to DO schools. Only one responded (hand surgeon) and they said I can shadow only 1-3 days max.
Is it still possible for me to get a letter of recommendation from him?
How do I ask him and do I save the letter till I apply?
I am planning to apply to med schools next summer. Thanks!

Yes it's possible. I shadowed a DO surgeon for 2 days and on my last day she asked if I would like her to write an LOR for me.

You just ask him... He'll probably be expecting it anyway. Have him submit it to Interfolio and let it sit in there until you apply.

I was lucky enough to work with one. But before that, I cold-called every DO physician in my town, then when no one called me back in a week concentrically expannding from 5 mile to 10 mile raidus. Eventually, I was invited.

You can consult AOA website for a friendly physician near you: http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/find-a-do/Pages/default.aspx
You can also attempt to find one through your state DO association -- they love calls like that (at least in the Pacific NW).
You can also check out AACOMAS for DO fairs near you, attend them and speak with DOs presenting there or medical students who will definately hang around "to share the experience".
You can even just show up at a nearby DO school and ask them for advice.

Many friends asked and received a "letter of exposure" at the very least after shadowing for just 1 day. Just be cool during the time you spend with a physician, ask reasonable and mature questions, show genuinie interest in the osteopathic medicine and they will shower you with letters and advice. Every DO I ever met, even on a bad day is happy to share his experinces.