shadowing on B1/B2 visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seaa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am an international dental graduate from India.I am planning to take NBDE part1 in September, 2014 on B1/B2 (visitors) visa.can anyone please tell me that am I allowed to do shadowing under any practising dentist in USA on B1/B2 visa? Please help me so that I can plan my duration of stay in USA according. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I did that for a short period of time while on B1/B2, and it's not like you really need any certain visa requirements, if ask what you'll be doing is observing then you're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
U must plan your visit in August last week till October last week. You will be allowedto stay for six months. Just finish off nbde as soon as u land and apply to the colleges. And then when you are free enough go be observer .

Ohk.thanks for your advice. Other thing I wanted to know is what would be better to do shadowing at any dental college or under any private dental practitioner?does it make any difference? and I am an international student. so do I need any kind of immunisation certificate for applying for shadowing? Please help me. I am still in my home country so I can get the immunisation done before I come to US.thanks in advance!

Ohk.thanks for your advice. Other thing I wanted to know is what would be better to do shadowing at any dental college or under any private dental practitioner?does it make any difference? and I am an international student. so do I need any kind of immunisation certificate for applying for shadowing? Please help me. I am still in my home country so I can get the immunisation done before I come to US.thanks in advance!

If you are gonna shadow under any private practitioner they wont generally allow you touch the patients neither they give you a chance of assisting them. you are jus allowed to watch them do :)
regarding dental school shadowing i don't think they will allow you to shadow in their school !
By the way I did 3months of shadowing in US and this advice is out of my experience.

@RKT1990 :hi rkt1990, thanks for your reply! so it means any type of immunisation/vaccination record is not required from international students for doing shadowing under any private practitioner...right?

@seaa not required as far as i know. My dentist was a super cool man never stressed me on anything in particular.

It is better to get your immunizations done before you come here. To observe in a college you need those and it's really expensive here. If you are coming here instead of observing give more priority for research. There are few summer courses which you can take up ate a research observer on visitors visa. They will be more helpful in getting you into a program.
@RKT1990 :hi rkt1990, thanks for your reply! so it means any type of immunisation/vaccination record is not required from international students for doing shadowing under any private practitioner...right?