Shadowing pods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footanklesurg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to contact pods to shadow in clinic and/or surgery? I just feel like it's a bit awkward phoning their practice and talking to their secretary, especially if you have no previous connections with that particular pod. And obviously a lot of them don't necessarily post their personal e-mails on their websites...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how best to contact pods to shadow in clinic and/or surgery? I just feel like it's a bit awkward phoning their practice and talking to their secretary, especially if you have no previous connections with that particular pod. And obviously a lot of them don't necessarily post their personal e-mails on their websites...

It is awkward at first. But everyone has to do it. Just give them a call.

If you live by a school call the school admissions. They will set you up.

You may want to contact your family doctor. I'm sure he/she refers to a local DPM. Since this doctor is a referral source for the DPM, ask your family doc to help you and ask if he/she can make a call for you. I'm sure the DPM won't say no to a doctor who refers patients!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I should've mentioned the fact that i'm a podiatry student. I just wasn't sure if I should go through my school looking for connections or go out on my own and find doctors in the area (especially those that attended my school) to see if they would be willing to let me shadow. Not that there's a lot of time to do that anyways!

Just out of curiosity, what is your goal with shadowing? Just to get some experience and exposure? In any case, your school should have a list of attendings or alumni that might be willing let you shadow, especially if you want to shadow close to your school and you're not talking about shadowing back home on break. It might be good and idea to shadow at a residency program if there is one nearby.

Yes, I just wanted to get some more exposure. But you're absolutely right, it's probably more worthwhile to start shadowing residency programs. I'll definitely look into that, thanks!

There may not be a huge benefit to shadowing at a residency program before you rotate there, but there probably isn't much of a downside, so you might as well.

There may not be a huge benefit to shadowing at a residency program before you rotate there, but there probably isn't much of a downside, so you might as well.

I'm with 'dude. If there are any programs nearby or ones you would be willing to travel to, call and see if they would be willing to take a student for a while.

I can't comment on other schools, but I know DMU requires a little bit of paperwork to be completed if you are going to shadow as a student. Just throwing this out there. May not apply to other schools.

I'm not in school yet, so clearly I don't know much, but the pod I've shadowed these past two years has told me to keep shadowing pods everywhere and make as many connections as I can. He's really into the "who you know" mentality, and he told me it will give me a huge leg up in clerkships/residency search.

I do think it is a good idea to visit programs before the clerkship match. Even if it is just for a day.

I had to take some crap shoots because I did not visit enough programs. Looking back I really wish I would have been more adventurous.

Hopefully I will jive well with the clerkships I am signed up for.:xf: