Shadowing Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sndalt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be walking into several clinics/hospitals tomorrow is my city to request information on shadowing. I want to do this because I think it is much more effective than a measly call or email.

Should I bring something with me to pass out? Unfortunately I don't have business cards yet. But would it be effective to type up a letter and hand them a hard copy? I imagine I will only get to speak to a receptionist at most of the places, so I want to leave something there with my information or something that states my intentions and looks positive.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Giving out a letter sounds ridiculous, the receptionist will take down your info if shadowing there is possible

Reactions: 1 user
Just call or email. I feel like clinics that don't want people shadowing won't change their policies just because you're there in person. You would be able to contact more of them by calling/emailing. If you're currently in school, why not email/call the medical professors and doctors affiliated with your school directly to ask? It doesn't hurt you in any way, and you might end up finding a mentor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would email physicians directly. Bonus points if you can find some physicians who are alumni of your undergrad - that way they have more of a reason to let you shadow. Use an alumni database if your school has one.

Also, ask your premed advisor if there are any physicians in the area that are particularly excited about letting premeds shadow.

Good luck!

I was actually considering just stopping by my local hospital and inquiring also. Seriously, can it hurt? Who cares if they think you're overly ambitious. They don't have to call or reply to your inquiry.

I've always felt that visiting places in person helps. I've tried emails and gotten no where. In person requests always gets me at least information.

I wouldn't recommend bring any paperwork with you (cards or resume), whoever you talk to probably will be a little taken aback by your visit and won't know what to do with any papers you hand over. Just ask if you could write your contact information down so they can get back in touch (bring something to write with).

And go back. If they don't call or email.. bug them again. Once more, just in case your name got lost somewhere.

Ended up walking in and puttin some charm on the receptionists. They took down my information and I got calls back from every place I went and checked out. Definitely glad I did it!