Shadowing question for SCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PandaVol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question for anyone who's getting interviewed or has been already interviewed/accepted at Southern College (or anyone's opinion in general!)

I know SCO heavily emphasizes shadowing in multiple environments when admitting students. The director of admissions emailed me & said that everything looks good on my apps, except he told me to try to get in more shadowing with different doctors before my interview. The problem is I have only had about a month between the email he sent & my interview. Due to my schedule, I don't think I will have the opportunity to shadow anyone else BEFORE the interview like he asked. Obviously, it would be best if I could squeeze in some more hours between now & then. But say I'm not able to, how bad do you think it would hurt my chances?

Some relevant background info about me:
I've worked as both an optician & a technician for one optometrist a couple years back.

2 of my LORs were from 2 different optometrists. One that I worked for (as optician & tech), & the 2nd who has been my optometrist since I was a kid.

However, I have technically never "shadowed" my own optometrist since I've been with her so long & am familiar with her practice. Note: I am graduating this December & will be working for her from January to August of next year. So I will have plenty of experience with 2 different optometrists before school starts, just not before my interview.

The point --> Even if my interview goes well, what are the chances that I get rejected anyways because of my lack of "shadowing" before the interview? Am I just psyching myself out at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

No one can answer this question. If you can't fit in another shadow visit, you're only choice is to go to the interview and do as well as you can. I interviewed at SCO two years ago and it was very laid back. I didn't have a lot of shadowing experience either, and I was frank with them about time constraints that prevented me from shadowing as much as i wanted. I was accepted, so make of that what you will.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback!
Did they end up accepting you? I recently shadowed at SCO and they emailed me back and said the interview went well, but they can't determine a decision because concerned about my shadowing hours; advised me to shadow 10 more hours and get the optometrist to email them a summary and for me to write a one page paper on the experience lol

Oh wow, a paper on shadowing experience? I didn't know they did that. But yeah, I ended up getting accepted. Originally, they told me I had a significant amount of shadowing hours which looked really good, but that was all with one optometrist. So they "suggested" that I get in a few more hours with a couple different optometrists before my interview, but I never did... Turns out they never mentioned it to me again & I was accepted 4 days after my interview.

Oh wow, a paper on shadowing experience? I didn't know they did that. But yeah, I ended up getting accepted. Originally, they told me I had a significant amount of shadowing hours which looked really good, but that was all with one optometrist. So they "suggested" that I get in a few more hours with a couple different optometrists before my interview, but I never did... Turns out they never mentioned it to me again & I was accepted 4 days after my interview.
Haha wow lucky you..and yeah..IDK what to think about the feedback I received lol but I need to get on it because I'm sure the slots are filling up fast