Shelf Exams at Saba?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daloonylin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that there is not much information out there from Saba students/alumni, so I was hoping to receive some insight about the shelf exams at Saba. Do a lot of students fail those and end up not being able to take the Step 1? How impossible are the exams/curriculum? Any feedback would help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge, the Caribbean medical schools all have similar levels of difficulty in terms of coursework mainly because there isn't a particularly good faculty support system for the students. This (again, from what I have read) stems from the fact that they are largely for-profit schools. This is reportedly true at lower-key schools like SABA and at the Big Three alike. This also accounts largely for why a lot of students either drop out or do poorly on STEP 1 and 2.

Do not go Caribbean. You need to be a well-above average student there to succeed, and the lack of support at those schools makes it a more difficult goal to accomplish than it is at US schools. Plus with the number of residency spots staying relatively static as the number of matriculating medical students increases, a residency crunch is already happening and will only be considerably worse by the time you graduate in 2019.

Reactions: 1 user