Shenandoah Interview 12/16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jblue44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have been invited for an interview at Shenandoah on December 17! Any current SU students or previous interviewees have any advice or tips about the interview process? I am not the best at interviews, so I would really appreciate some tips on what to expect.

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Also, anyone else have an interview on this day?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there December 19th last year.

It's pretty typical. You'll sit in the waiting room with all the other applicants and make idle chat (to me the worst part). They'll serve coffee and simple carbs to keep you distracted. Then you'll go to a classroom, listen to a presentation by Kay Abraham, the program director (as of last year). After the presentation, you'll have an interview. I interviewed a professor and third-year student. They ask you questions about interacting with classmates, how you deal with stress, and how you would react in hypothetical scenarios. Then you'll take a tour. You'll see the ample space and labs they have. Some rooms look like a playground. I think it's in the only program to offer a dual DPT/ATC degree.

The order might be different. I was the first person they interviewed. I remember one applicant was there at noon when the first session was ending and the second was starting. I hope that's not you.

Kevin

Hello! I have been invited for an interview at Shenandoah on December 17! Any current SU students or previous interviewees have any advice or tips about the interview process? I am not the best at interviews, so I would really appreciate some tips on what to expect.

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Also, anyone else have an interview on this day?

How were you offered an interview? Phone call, email mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
The email I got today is scheduled for an interview "Monday, December 18" but the 18th is a Tuesday, so I asked for clarification when the interview actually is. Regardless if its Monday or Tuesday, I will be there.

When did you e-submit your PTCAS? Hopefully they straighten out that date for your interview! Congrats! One step closer!

Jblue44 and DPTHopeful2012, What day did you esubmit? I applied for them too, but I haven't heard from them yet about a possible interview. Someone I know who is also applying for Shenandoah was told that applicants will be told if they are offered an interview in mid to late November.
He also asked about when the interviews are and was told that they will be in January. I guess there are multiple interview days?

I esubmit my application on Sept. 19th, but my application took awhile to process, longer than other people I know who esubmit theirs around the same time as me.

Last edited:
I interviewed there last year.

Depending on when your interview time is will affect your experience. The director did a presentation, and then my group went on a short tour. After that they had a room set up next to the food where everyone was waiting. They had a couple second and third years there to answer any questions or concerns you may have. After each half hour they would announce who was in the next interview group. I was so nervous that I didn't really eat anything, but it turned out that I was in the last group anyway.

So I waited two hours (maybe more) to be interviewed. They said it was like that because there used to be a group interview that they did away with last year. The actual interview is different based off which professor and student you get like at any school, and I felt like my whole file was scrutinized during mine. I asked about what my weakest class was in undergrad, my essay, my weird major, vision 2020, and bunch of things that seem like a blur now. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The best advice I could give is to have questions that you want to ask them. I got back late, so I missed most of the wrap up at the end and didn't get to meet people in the next group.

Some things I found out about the program: It is a traditional program (no PBL). Starts in August, so no Anatomy over the summer. It is a nice size class, and they do have a cadaver lab which they showed us. They have a NPTE pass rate over the national average. Overall, all the students I met were nice and helpful.

I just want to wish all of you that are interviewing the best of luck!

Hello, I also applied for DPT fall 2013 and have not heard back for the December interview dates. I see there are some in January as well? Does anyone know the exact process on how Linda Burrow contacts interview candidates? I was thinking I would definitely get one, but have not heard anything. So basically, are the interview candidates notified all at once, or do they notify a few at a time..thus making it more personal or whatever? AND do some candidates get pushed back to January interviews? My assumption is that candidates are notified based on when they had their application processed. Mine was submitted fairly late (about 4-5 days before the deadline) thus could have either jeopardized my application or my chance to get a Dec. interview. Any insight into this would be great! I have to book a flight from Jacksonville, Fl for this interview so would just like to know so I can book now while they're still cheap! Thanks!!

-Tony :D

In years past, they have had multiple interview dates. I heard from another applicant I know that said some interviews will be in January, not sure if this is true or not. I dont think when you applied matters. I esubmit on Sept. 19th. I know someone else who submit before me, and neither of us have heard anything yet about an interview. Not sure how the selection process works.

Linda just got back to me today and said my interview is Tuesday, Dec. 18. I guess they are interviewing candidates both Monday and Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing Tuesday December 18th as well! DC is the closest airport right?

YAY this is my first interview :)

I'm interviewing on 12/18 too! It's my first interview, any girls have advice on what they're wearing?

I have an interview on the 18th as well! I am so excited and nervous.

I'm interviewing on 12/18 too! It's my first interview, any girls have advice on what they're wearing?

I think I am wearing black dress pants, black flats, and then a nice shirt under a blazer. I'm aiming of business casual. Does that sound good? What are you wearing?

I am planning on the same! Black dress pants and blazer. Maybe a fun dressy top from Jcrew underneath :) Good luck!

Hi there!!!

I just received an email from Linda Burrow for Monday, December 17th!! This is super exciting, congrats to all of you who got an interview!! :)

Hi there!!!

I just received an email from Linda Burrow for Monday, December 17th!! This is super exciting, congrats to all of you who got an interview!! :)

Congrats to you too! I'm interviewing on that day too! I'm so nervous, but also really excited.

Hello, I also applied for DPT fall 2013 and have not heard back for the December interview dates. I see there are some in January as well? Does anyone know the exact process on how Linda Burrow contacts interview candidates? I was thinking I would definitely get one, but have not heard anything. So basically, are the interview candidates notified all at once, or do they notify a few at a time..thus making it more personal or whatever? AND do some candidates get pushed back to January interviews? My assumption is that candidates are notified based on when they had their application processed. Mine was submitted fairly late (about 4-5 days before the deadline) thus could have either jeopardized my application or my chance to get a Dec. interview. Any insight into this would be great! I have to book a flight from Jacksonville, Fl for this interview so would just like to know so I can book now while they're still cheap! Thanks!!

-Tony :D

Hey there, I receive an email from Linda Burrow on December 6th and then emailed her back the same day to confirm my interview for Monday December 17th. I booked a flight that night and let me tell you it wasn't cheap (especially during the holidays and I'm from the West Coast). In addition to that, I actually submitted my application the day of the deadline and my friend who applied well in advance hasn't heard anything yet. So...I'm not sure how their processing works. Hope this helps!

How was the interview for those who had it today?

How was the interview for those who had it today?

It wasn't too bad! First we were placed in a room with everyone and were able to meet and talk with the other applicants. Then short presentation and we were split into different groups for interviews. Luckily, I was in the very first interview group. Some people had to wait until 11 or so to interview, so it was nice to be the first one and get it over with. Then we went on a quick tour and then sat in the room again where we could ask current students questions and talk more.
Overall, the interview wasn't too bad, but I think it depends on who you end up interviewing with. Asked me questions like: Why do you want to be a PT, what characteristics do you have that would make you a good PT, what career would you pursue if you weren't doing PT, talk about a time that you had a conflict with a group member/co-worker, what has been the biggest challenge in your life that you've had to overcome...questions like that.

Hope that helps! Good luck tomorrow :)

did they give you a time table of when they would tell you their decision?

Getting anxious to hear if I got into Shenandoah this next week! I felt really good about it right after my interview and when I submitted my academic update... now I am just getting really nervous!

I know my acceptances are starting to pile up and the dates for the deposits are getting close. I have this one and two others to hear back from

Has any one heard from Shenanoah yet?

I got my acceptance email this morning!!! Has anyone else heard?
Congratulations! I haven't herd anything yet :( I hope thats not a bad sign.

My interview was on the 17th... do you think they are going chronologically through the applicants?

Last edited:
I had an interview on the 17th also and have not heard anything back yet.

My stats are not very good...

3.4 GPA
160Q 145V 5.0Writing
2,000+ hours but mostly outpatient
and I have a lot of community service.

How about you? Will they email us about the waitlist?

3.5 GPA
154 q 156 v 4.0 w
150 hours
University mascot, service mission, Pt club president

They will email about the waitlist

Just received notice that I am on the waitlist :( I wonder what the chances are of me still getting in?

I've been wait-listed as well. I think they weighted the interviews pretty heavy and I did not do my best in that regard.

I've heard from folks who would know that SU usually goes pretty deep into their alternate list though.

Well here is to waiting and hoping. It's my top choice.

I got wait listed too. A little disappointed since I liked the program, but since its super expensive and not my top choice then I'm okay. Good luck everyone.

I was waitlisted too. Good luck to everyone on the list!

When do those accepted need to send in their deposit by?

When do those accepted need to send in their deposit by?

At the interview, they told us we would have 30 days until they move on to their alternates.

I would call and ask though.

Has any one accepted or declined their spot yet?

I am declining my spot. I loved the program...it is just too expensive :(