Shift Diff for Nights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the avg diff for nights in your shop? What's fair for a dedicated nocturnist?

Members don't see this ad.

We pay about 20% extra for an evening over a day and about 40% extra for a night over a day. Slightly reduced it recently because too many docs wanted the night shifts. So if we have a month where we make $250 an hour, the day shift might pay $200 an hour and the night shift might pay $300 an hour.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The highest I've ever seen was 1 weekend night shift = 2.2 weekday day shifts. My current gig has a much lower differential.

I like WCI's group's approach - raise the night shift differential until people are fighting for night shifts, adjust as needed.

Reactions: 1 user
no diff at my gig. all shifts pay the same.no rvu bonus

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

$40/hr minimum I think at $50 it becomes more attractive. at my shop its $60 with no takers. I think it depends on what you make. If you make $150/hr that $40 is tempting. If you are making $300/hr the $60 isnt so good.

Each of us nocturnists worked out a different deal, depending on what was important to us: fixed schedule, less shifts/month, working at one location (we have a few sites to cover usually), or a higher pay rate. Otherwise, there's no shift differential and nights are distributed fairly evenly among the rest of the docs. There is a reduction in night shifts when you get to be old (i.e. >55 y/o) and have seniority (i.e >15 yrs in our system), or something like that. I'm nowhere near that option yet so I don't know the exact details. FYI: I work at an academic facility with multiple sites and almost 50 docs in our collective group of faculty.

Whats the avg diff for nights in your shop? What's fair for a dedicated nocturnist?
We pay an extra $90/hr for nights. Used to be $60/hr. EM docs now understand how valuable they are. I would pay $150/hr for night to avoid them.

We pay an extra $90/hr for nights. Used to be $60/hr. EM docs now understand how valuable they are. I would pay $150/hr for night to avoid them.

This is probably the biggest negative of my SDG. There are 8 of us and none of us are interested in picking up more nights. We pay a $50/hr diff but I too would be happy to pay much more to avoid nights. That said, I don't know if there is truly a number that would influence any of my partners to increase their shifts. It may be something we revisit soon though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is probably the biggest negative of my SDG. There are 8 of us and none of us are interested in picking up more nights. We pay a $50/hr diff but I too would be happy to pay much more to avoid nights. That said, I don't know if there is truly a number that would influence any of my partners to increase their shifts. It may be something we revisit soon though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There is a price, I assure you. 3 nights a month beat 15 day shifts.

There is a price, I assure you. 3 nights a month beat 15 day shifts.
Lately I've been wondering what differential would get me to sign on for nights only out of residency. 10 shifts/ month instead of 15? Maybe. would definitely take a shift reduction over pay increase if I had to pick (I.e. 10 shift/month at standard annual rate over 15 shifts/month at 30% more than standard annual rate).