Shift sleep work disorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nafcillin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard commercials about this and using modafinil (sp?) to solve it. I work swing shifts and they are never the same week to week. Sometimes I feel like the walking dead. Perhaps I should consider? This is not a medical advice thread, just wondering if sleep work disorder exists and if so, should it be treated by a stimulant? This is relevant to pharmacy because so many hospital pharmacists work swing shifts.

Members don't see this ad.

I always thought "shift work disorder" was just a normal part of working swings/overnights.

Kind of like how I thought being a kid and running around was normal, but apparently that's called ADHD/a behavioral problem.

Caffeine not working? I'd usually need a day or two to come down off of overnights, or have really good sleep hygiene going from swing to day or vice versa.

If I can make an honest suggestion, when I come off working nights, I try to get 6 hours of sleep when I get home in the morning, ie: I sleep from 9am-3pm. I then go out drinking, dinner or drink at home in order to get that nice sleepy tiredness (approx 4 beers, drinks, etc) and go to bed at midnight. I also pop 5mg melatonin. I usually wake up at 6-7am the next day free and ready for my off week.

So, I hope you like alcohol. Because I dunno if I could do it without drinking. Hmmm, craft beers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard commercials about this and using modafinil (sp?) to solve it. I work swing shifts and they are never the same week to week. Sometimes I feel like the walking dead. Perhaps I should consider? This is not a medical advice thread, just wondering if sleep work disorder exists and if so, should it be treated by a stimulant? This is relevant to pharmacy because so many hospital pharmacists work swing shifts.

Here is my 2 cents: this drug costs about $1290 for 30 tablets. Insurance companies don't pay for it and require a prior authorization! There are no long term us data for it so they won't approve it for long term. Maybe just for a month! usually 7-9 weeks. This is usually for those who travel a lot not for working swing shifts. Plus a lot of physicians don't feel comfortable prescribing it and they don't wanna be responsible for it! If you talk to them they will tell you drink coffee, work less or change your schedule. I also don't believe it can be safe for long term use!

I have an armodafanil coupon if you want one, haha. Drug rep came by recently.

Also...I do what awvall does, it's not feasible to stay up 100% until 9-10pm the day you come off overnight. Heavy meal + alcohol helps with the sleep that night.

Hey we found each other again and we're not discussing money or gov't, wow!

Prescribed off label for the somnolence side effect of psychotropic/anticonvulsants, too. Due togo generic soon...hence, the nuvigil.