shirtless for OMM?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNEWgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
touro CA told me today that they require guys to be shirtless and girls to wear sport bra during OMM? what the heck? why was I not informed about this at other DO interviews like DMU, Western, AZCOM, KCUMB ? :scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad.

LECOM does the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas. stop tormenting the neurotic applicants. It's absolutely not nice. :smuggrin: (I can say that - I was a neurotic applicant once too).

some schools want women in sports bra and men shirtless. Other schools say t-shirt and shorts/yoga pants is ok. It depends on the school and what you're working on at the time. And don't worry about it --- every one else (of the same gender) will be wearing the same thing as you and there will be larger people, smaller people, softer, more muscular, you name it. :)

i'm pretty sure most schools are like that...it's that whole hippee, touchy-feely thing those DO's have ;). You have to take off your shirt to listen to heart and lung sounds too :eek:. Don't worry, you get real comfortable, real fast. Our first lab of our first year, everyone was down to shorts (and sports bras for girls), and we pointed out all the structural dysfunctions we could see on each other just by looking at each other. Talk about thickening your skin.

If youre uncomfortable there is always the option of wearing a patient gown that opens in the back

Some guy gave me OMT training in the back of his windowless van that said 'free candy' on the side. Had to get completely naked though ... didn't feel much better after, I guess DOs are quacks:eek:

Reactions: 1 user
i was going to post something kind of in appropriate as a joke
but was like man im new here, dont want it to be misinterpreted then get yelled at
then i notice all of you doing the same
i wont hold back next time

I would recommend you hold back unless it's appropriate raja, lest you be willing to accumulate infraction points leading to a post hold.

Rather like starting in a new school, be careful who you emulate and look up to.

I would recommend you hold back unless it's appropriate raja, lest you be willing to accumulate infraction points leading to a post hold.

Rather like starting in a new school, be careful who you emulate and look up to.

Ouch .... Have I become the punk kid who smokes cigarettes during gym class, rides a motorcycle, slicks back my hair, and says 'sit on it' to authority?? The jokes are all in good humor. I don't ever try to call anyone out, and stop whenever I am warned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some guy gave me OMT training in the back of his windowless van that said 'free candy' on the side. Had to get completely naked though ... didn't feel much better after, I guess DOs are quacks:eek:

hahahha!!! :laugh::laugh: there's some clinical experience for ya

Oh Karate Kid...I'm reminded of some favorite lyrics:

"You're the best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you down!"

...Yeah, and I'm the girl who is going to "bedazzle" her sports bra for OMM lab. :D

Oh Johnny Lawrence!!!

Classic Man...Classic

Cobra Kai baby. "Ai Ai Ai!!!" :laugh::thumbup:

Lmao, +1 for MickDiningware.

It really doesnt matter what you wear for OMM. When fifteen people palpate your pubic symphasis or you get your ischial tuberosity spread by the other half of the class your pride goes down the toilet.

Oh Karate Kid...I'm reminded of some favorite lyrics:

"You're the best!
Around!
Nothing's gonna ever keep you down!"

Don't forget...
"I am the man, who will fight, for your honor...
I'll be the hero you're dreamin' of...
We'll live forever, knowing together,
that we did it all for the glory of love."

Hell yeah! Karate Kid 4eva!

Don't forget...
"I am the man, who will fight, for your honor...
I'll be the hero you're dreamin' of...
We'll live forever, knowing together,
that we did it all for the glory of love."

Hell yeah! Karate Kid 4eva!

Oh yeah, I liked the second Karate Kid much more than the first. I even had one of those bamboo drum rattles as a kid!

Oh yeah, I liked the second Karate Kid much more than the first. I even had one of those bamboo drum rattles as a kid!

Oh, I think we all did.

It really doesnt matter what you wear for OMM. When fifteen people palpate your pubic symphasis or you get your ischial tuberosity spread by the other half of the class your pride goes down the toilet.

Haha, are you being serious when you say that people will palpate your pubic symphysis? I mean, ischial tuberosity may not be that big of a deal. But, the pubic symphysis....WOW! :eek:

2 things:

1) the pubis manipulation seems... a bit strange and something new to me, I will have to admit.:scared:

2) Will Smith is going to remake the Karate Kid--- his son as Daniel, Jackie Chan as Miyagi... sad but true, Will Smith will ruin history =:)thumbdown

Are you freaking serious? There's going to be a black kid named LaRusso?

He ain't kidding; according to Wikipedia:

"On September 27th, 2007, IGN reported that Sony Pictures is working toward a remake. Will Smith's Overbrook Entertainment and Jerry Weintraub will produce, with Smith's son, Jaden, attached to star. It has also been reported (but not confirmed) that Will Smith will direct, and that Jackie Chan will portray Daniel's instructor, Mr. Miyagi."

I guess he will be Daniel LeRousseau, the Haitian Karate Kid?

Back to the topic at hand. Pubic symphysis, Ischial spread? The fact these phrases are being dropped in regards to a form of medicine (?) that uses a technique called "High Velocity Low Amplitude Thrust (HVLAT)" disturbs (intrigues) me greatly.

don't worry about that now. at nycom the girls can wear tank tops that have an open back or a halter style top. or a button up shirt turned around backwards to give access to your back. i feel worse for the guys since all of them have to go shirtless.

MUAH!!! The pubic symphysis was a fun lab...especially fun when the OMM fellow doesn't think your partner is palpating hard enough and five-finger-palm-of-death's you down there. Extra points if said palm of death is done when you REALLY need to use the bathroom :(

Time to start working out NOW! Don't wanna be the soft squishy guy...Much better if the girls are fighting over who gets to palpate me. After all, I wanna go to TCOM, Texas being the hot girl capital of the world and all. :cool:

MUAH!!! The pubic symphysis was a fun lab...especially fun when the OMM fellow doesn't think your partner is palpating hard enough and five-finger-palm-of-death's you down there. Extra points if said palm of death is done when you REALLY need to use the bathroom :(

well, fun is not the word i would use for it. but it was something.

we should be grateful, though, that we don't have to learn a certain type of piriformis manipulation, which was explained to my lab partner and i by one of the professors a couple weeks ago. scary stuff, seriously.

The piriformis can "entrap" the sciatic nerve. I see this all the time. Is that what you're talking about?

KCUMB has a dress code of gym shorts and shirtless for guys, gym shorts and sports bra for women. However, it is pretty clear that this dress code only applies where you actually need that kind of visualization or access. We know in advance what the lab will cover, and people dress accordingly. Many labs people just wear scrubs or whatever. And for the labs where access is required, a lot of people just wear stuff underneath their scrubs so they can remove a shirt in lab for a few minutes and put it back one. There's even a lot of "just pull your shirt up for a minute" situations. In the past year, there have been only a handful of labs where guys needed to sit shirtless for more than five or ten minutes at a time.

So if I'm proud of my body, can I roll up in a Speedo? Or will I get busted with sexual harassment charges for that?

The piriformis can "entrap" the sciatic nerve. I see this all the time. Is that what you're talking about?

i was referring to a particular way to access the piriformis that i am grateful we don't have to learn.

I get the advanced rehab people to do active release on my psoas after a race. They dig way into my pelvis, behind the ilium, where the psoas attaches. It hurts.

I'm looking at maybe a duathlon in December. Other than that, I think I'm done for this season. I want to kick off next season with a half-ironman, so I'm going to go back to base training in a big way pretty soon.

Nice! I'm still enjoying my training break, but, will soon be back on the base training schedule. Thinking about the 70.3 in Oceanside, CA in March... nice cold water!

So to what extent do we have to touch / feel / see other classmates? How about on us?

Past shirtless for guys, will there ever be any palpation or examination of "private areas?"

So to what extent do we have to touch / feel / see other classmates? How about on us?

Past shirtless for guys, will there ever be any palpation or examination of "private areas?"

I'm wondering the same thing, I hope I don't accidentally extend a welcoming gesture ":thumbup:"

touro CA told me today that they require guys to be shirtless and girls to wear sport bra during OMM? what the heck? why was I not informed about this at other DO interviews like DMU, Western, AZCOM, KCUMB ? :scared::scared::scared:

Hi theNEWgirl,

Try not to fret too much about this. Really it'll be ok - and also you will become fast friends with a lot of people.

As a second year student, I feel that OMM lab has definantly made all of us at my school know each other a whole lot better.

It'll be ok.:luck:

Two examples:

There is a point called the "Piriformis point" which is like right under your PSIS.

Also your pubic turbcle has a pressure point as well.

Well...the breasts, for example, are worked around for all of your techniques. You'll learn different techniques for doing a lymphatic pump on males and females. You'll work around the breasts any time you diagnose or work on the ribs. Your butt will get touched a number of times, like when monitoring the pyrformis point, but you won't be grabbed and massaged there. The pelvic diaphragm gets kind of personal because you are reaching between the patients spread knees and following along the bones "down there" but done correctly doesn't touch anything personal. It gets close, but it doesn't really touch the "personal" stuff.

Yep, by the third week of class you'll know where most people's tattoos are located (at least the ones above the waist). I think 60% of my class has tattoos....and not the little ones on the ankle, like big honking across the chest ones.

We just did "butt and crotch" in last weeks lab. That's not something the MDs get to experience so count yourself blessed.

But in all seriousness, you only have to remove your shirt once in a while to visualize certain techniques. Everybody is there to learn and people handle things very respectfully. You'll be too busy focusing on learning the technique to realize you wouldn't be touching your classmates pubis symphis normally.

haha, yea its no big deal. Palpation of the pubic symphysis was the 2nd lab we did way back in August, lol. And we did pelvic diaphragm a month or so ago also.

I've palpated many a pubic symphisis, but never for a class. This seems a little strange.