Shoes for Interview Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BornToLead

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that the interview day features long tours and one should wear comfortable shoes. But flats and/or kitten heels are the only kind of shoes I feel comfortable in. I was wondering if its okay to wear this http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/christi...id=0&fashionColor=Black+Suede&resultback=6394 and then change into flats for the tour.....is that unusual thing to do?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
$675 shoes? That almost costs as much as my suit haha :p

Reactions: 4 users
So I know that the interview day features long tours and one should wear comfortable shoes. But flats and/or kitten heels are the only kind of shoes I feel comfortable in. I was wondering if its okay to wear this http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/christi...id=0&fashionColor=Black+Suede&resultback=6394 and then change into flats for the tour.....is that unusual thing to do?
First question: do you present as a woman? If no, do not wear these shoes.
Do you typically wear heels that high and walk in heels? You say that you feel comfortable in kitten heels or flats. Therefore, it would be idiotic to wear shoes in which you would not feel comfortable. The interview usually requires walking down a hallway or through a reception area to the office where you will interview and even for a short distance you may look terrible trying to walk in shoes that are uncomfortable or if they cause your gait to be awkward.

Reactions: 2 users
Wear whatever looks professional and tough it out for a day
Would you expect a physician in a professional setting to wear those shoes? Would you wear those shoes in ambulatory clinic?

A psychiatrist who does most of her work sitting down might get away with shoes like that but I'd suggest she have her head examined.

Reactions: 4 users
$675 for a pair of shoes. I couldn't even dream of spending that. Costs more than all of my shoes combined.

Would you expect a physician in a professional setting to wear those shoes? Would you wear those shoes in ambulatory clinic?

A psychiatrist who does most of her work sitting down might get away with shoes like that but I'd suggest she have her head examined.

Hah I didn't even take a look at the shoes, but to answer your questions "no" and "no"

Do Christian Louboutin 5" stilettos actually project the right image, anyway? I guess people may have different opinions on this, but those shoes don't suggest a sensible, conservative, doctor-type to me.

Reactions: 3 users
Im hoping that's a typo in the catalog otherwise I would recommend reexamining your priorities.

Louboutins are also really recognizeable based on the red backing. I'd stay away from easily recognized expensive things on interview day...too big of a risk that someone will judge you negatively.

Aside from that, the color and height also seem a bit much.

In general, lots of people change their shoes for the tour. Just make sure your shoes fit in your purse, and still pick professional flats for the tour.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I was interviewing you, I would mark you down for those shoes. Not because they aren't practical. I would mark down anyone who showed up in some flashy nouveau riche status-symbol article of clothing. same thing would go for someone wearing a gaudy LV or Hermes belt, a birkin bag, etc etc. It just shows you lack humility.

i'm all for attractive women, but think about who is interviewing you.. might be a male who salivates over you but you're gonna get dinged by the femmes

I always wore a low heel and brought a change of flat shoes with me for the tour. Some schools have fairly long tours so it's better to be prepared for the worst. I carried a briefcase-type bag which fit a pair of shoes. Also consider local weather conditions for footwear -- especially snow!

Those shoes are not appropriate for a medical school interview. You can find something more appropriate and comfortable.

You almost made me spit my tea out all over my keyboard, colleague!
:claps:

How do some of you pre-meds have so much money.....

Reactions: 1 user
you can apply to like 6 more schools with that kinda doe

I was told that applicants should never wear any piece that is obviously and noticeably more expensive than what the interviewer is wearing (the example we were given was a Rolex watch). I was also told that very tall, thin heels come off as more of a cocktail hour type shoe than an interview type shoe.

Disclaimer: This is just advice I have been given about my outfit. I am not a medical school interviewer, so I could very well be mistaken.

Last thing you want is to sprain your ankle and have the other premeds carry you throughout the tour. Unless it makes you feel like a queen. . . ;)

Besides, you'd want your interviewer to focus on your accomplishments and not your appearance. That's why you don't bring a 3 piece suit and fedora to an interview (hasn't stopped some people I guess). :caution:

Guys guys .. its okay! there's free shipping !

I say just wear flats. People changing their shoes are putting more effort into it then I ever would, it could be an awkward situation if you don't have time to change your shoes.
I say wear what you'll walk in, I don't think professional flats dinged me at all, and I actually noticed more women in flats than heels on my interviews.

Also, those shoes could buy me a new suit, purse, and shoes to match. Seriously, why?!

Might I recommend Aerosoles? They always have discounts, and I find that they always make shoes that are comfortable. You can find professional shoes there. They might not be the most "fashionable" but that's not what we're going for anyway. Something that's appropriate and comfortable should do the trick.

http://www.aerosoles.com/store/jump...rl=womens-shoes&subCatUrl=womens-career-shoes

I'm going to use something like that. Small heels and ridiculously comfortable (did a 3 hr shadowing with it with no issues)

Thank you peeps for your input. I'm guessing it's best for me to just buy some good professional kitten heels.
And guys, take a chill pill... I didn't buy those from my pocket! Was a gift :)

Thank you peeps for your input. I'm guessing it's best for me to just buy some good professional kitten heels.
And guys, take a chill pill... I didn't buy those from my pocket! Was a gift :)
Doesn't matter if they're a gift or not. They're still insanely expensive!

I have heard that the item of attire that a woman is most harshly judged on in an interview setting is her shoe selection. Anyone that would know about these shoes would not only ding you for the heel size, but would also probably think you're affluent.

I don't know about you, but in attending an interview I am looking to make a professional impression. Splurging on $700 shoes that won't add anything to a professional look is ludicrous.

Louboutins reek of entitlement and privilege. I would say if you're a non-trad shifting from finance to medicine, do what you will, but if you're a 22 year old it would reflect poorly upon you.

I must have looked like a pauper going into my interviews. Nice suit, shirt and tie, bought off the rack at Boscov's, new shoes at the local Department store in our small little town. New underware, (not if that mattered!) Got into three medical schools. Now I am thinking perhaps they felt sorry for me! lol. I will do better when I get my first pay check in four years!

I must have looked like a pauper going into my interviews. Nice suit, shirt and tie, bought off the rack at Boscov's, new shoes at the local Department store in our small little town. New underware, (not if that mattered!) Got into three medical schools. Now I am thinking perhaps they felt sorry for me! lol. I will do better when I get my first pay check in four years!

haha, I actually met same people on different interviews, and got pretty self-conscious about the fact that I wear the same suit to each interview. and then the time I wore a waistcoat to an interview, I got straight up rejected afterwards. it's my only rejection :cryi: but I don't blame them, I paired a waistcoat with dark masculine oxfords as a grill. I guess my point is med school interviews aren't the appropriate time for next level fashion choices

@itsogre Did you get your outfit idea from Ari Gold?? Haha... in all seriousness though, that stinks...

@itsogre Did you get your outfit idea from Ari Gold?? Haha... in all seriousness though, that stinks...
:D don't remember who my inspo was, but no regrets
always felt masculine fashion has much more character.

haha, I actually met same people on different interviews, and got pretty self-conscious about the fact that I wear the same suit to each interview. and then the time I wore a waistcoat to an interview, I got straight up rejected afterwards. it's my only rejection :cryi: but I don't blame them, I paired a waistcoat with dark masculine oxfords as a grill. I guess my point is med school interviews aren't the appropriate time for next level fashion choices
I only have one suit and wear the same one also. After this summer, eating at home, I think I might have to break down and buy another. The pants are tight! lol

Wear something that is professional but comfortable. I dont think med schools care about style. Its more about showing respect and looking professional

I only have one suit and wear the same one also. After this summer, eating at home, I think I might have to break down and buy another. The pants are tight! lol
Planning on just wearing one too. I figure you can always just air it out between wears....

Planning on just wearing one too. I figure you can always just air it out between wears....

Or take it to a dry cleaner in between interviews. You definitely don't want to risk being smelly or disheveled in any way.

:sendoff:These shoes are the equivalent to a guy wearing a gold Rolex :nono:

Those are perfect for an interview -- Comfortable, right height, price point that's appropriate for a recent graduate.

The Loubs are wrong on so many levels, the worst ones being too sexy, too high to actually walk in, and too flashy-expensive. Even if you are a princess, you shouldn't look like one when interviewing for a job serving others.

It has been suggested on more than one occasion that applicants for interviews should be required to change into scrubs prior to meetings in order to remove any unintended bias. Perhaps gowned and masked as well.

I would love that. So much more comfortable than a suit. I'd probably perform better in the interview that way.

Reactions: 3 users
It has been suggested on more than one occasion that applicants for interviews should be required to change into scrubs prior to meetings in order to remove any unintended bias. Perhaps gowned and masked as well.

That would be cool with me. Scrubs are way more comfortable than a suit anyways.

Especially with that top neck collar button destroying your esophagus. ;)

Hi all, I was randomly surfing through SDN and found this thread and thought maybe I can give you some advice to help in deciding on shoes since I'm kind of a shoeaholic myself...

On my interviews I wore about 2 inch leather pumps the same color as my suit (either navy or black to match my navy and black suits). Before I started interviewing I asked my dad (he is a CEO in a business formal office) about what he considered to be professional attire and he told me plain heels between 1-3 inches, but not much higher are considered professional and interview-approapriate. I know that 2 inch heels are not always the most tasteful but in the long run it is worth putting aside our fashion critiquing eyes for a day for that med school acceptance.

Good luck to you all!

Could someone help me with clarification on what's okay for women's shoes? People say that if you're going to wear a heel (which I am going to do since I can walk in them and I could use some height), you should go for neutral closed-toe pumps, but no "sexy stilettos" or platforms. My confusion stems from the realllyyy wide range of shoes that call themselves pumps, some of which have a thick heel and look very conservative, and some of which have a thinner heel. Does a thinner heel automatically make something a stiletto, or does that have more to do with the height? I found a pair of really comfortable, pointed toe heels while shopping--and they are definitely "pumps," but because of the thinner heel I'm not sure if they're appropriate. Can anyone give me some guidance on this?

They're these ones, and I would get them in the smooth black leather: http://www.zappos.com/rockport-total-motion-75mm-pointy-toe-pump-black-smooth-leather