Short interview a good sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Csv321

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently had an interview at VCU...my one and possibly only but it happens to be a top choice so I got extremely lucky. However, the interview was supposed to be an hour but mine lasted about 35 minutes. When he asked me if I had any questions for him, I told him I didn't but expressed my desire to attend VCU. I know of some people who already go there and read up on the school so I didn't want to make up a question to which I already knew the answer to.

After I walked out, I thought of a TON of things I could've said to explain myself better or something I could have said that would've been an awesome/better answer. I mean, I don't think it went bad. I didn't stumble on my words and provided sincere answers but I'm afraid that I didn't give my interviewer enough for him to advocate for me when my file goes up for review.

So I guess my question is, being that my interview was so short, did I blow it?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think timing is necessarily an issue. I doubt he had a stopwatch and I doubt he marks down how long each interview is. As long as you did a good job answering his questions and expressing your interest, i think you will be fine.

It is totally random. I hate my interviews. However, I make up questions I already know the answer too...I mean...every interviewer asks, "Questions for me?" But gd, I assure you I spent 3 hours on your med schools website on learning I got an interview...get a clue...

I don't think the 35 minutes will hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Csv321 said:
I recently had an interview at VCU...my one and possibly only but it happens to be a top choice so I got extremely lucky. However, the interview was supposed to be an hour but mine lasted about 35 minutes. When he asked me if I had any questions for him, I told him I didn't but expressed my desire to attend VCU. I know of some people who already go there and read up on the school so I didn't want to make up a question to which I already knew the answer to.

After I walked out, I thought of a TON of things I could've said to explain myself better or something I could have said that would've been an awesome/better answer. I mean, I don't think it went bad. I didn't stumble on my words and provided sincere answers but I'm afraid that I didn't give my interviewer enough for him to advocate for me when my file goes up for review.

So I guess my question is, being that my interview was so short, did I blow it?

A shorter than normal interview is not necessarily a bad thing, and not to stress you out, but according to Iserson's Getting Into a Residency, the answer to "do you have any questions" should always be yes. Maybe you can write a short letter to the interviewer in which you point out what you thought were some of the positive highlights from your interview (things that would make you stand out from the crowd). Also, if the interview was held in their office, did you have a chance to look around? Maybe you noticed something interesting? Little personal touches like that are the best for getting the ball rolling and making these letters much more memorable. Anyhow, I hope it works out for you in the end and good luck with the rest of your applications :)

hey csv,

my interview at mcv/vcu did not last the entire hour either (roughly ~50 mintues), i wouldn't worry about it, you did your best and that's all you can ask of yourself

so i guess you're anxiously/eagerly awaiting the dec.15th acceptances as well? :)

good luck to you, mcv is my top choice as well
hopefully we'll be classmates next year!

i happen to disagree. i think if your application is strong then in many cases interviewers will have already made up their minds about you before the interview begins. take the following three examples: premed committee interview (normally 1 hour, mine 25 minutes)--resulted in a great letter; mayo interview (normally 1 hour, mine 20-25 minutes)--resulted in an acceptance; washu interview (normally 1 hour, mine 25 minutes)--i have a good feeling about this one.

it probably doesn't mean much, but i think in general if an interview is supposed to last 1 hour and it lasts around half that time, there is a reason for it, good or bad.

I think it all depends on how you feel that the interview went. If you feel that it went well but ended earlier than you expected, that is not a bad sign. It probably means that the interviewer had a good enough impression of you to recommend you for an acceptance. If conversation is flowing and you're feeling good about the experience, sometimes it's to your advantage to wrap it up before you say something that you may second guess later on. If the interview lasts as long or even a little longer than you expected, the interviewer may have needed more time to get a feel for the kind of person you are. Now if it ends early and you haven't said a whole lot, that is not good. The quality of the interview is much more important than how long it actually lasts.

As for questions to ask, if you can't think of anything, just ask the interviewers about themselves (i.e., their field of medicine, research, etc.). You can't go wrong with that one ;)

futuremsfdoc said:
i think if your application is strong then in many cases interviewers will have already made up their minds about you before the interview begins.

So many schools are moving towards closed interviews though...in five years the majority of interviews will be closed. Call me Nostradamus.

Or I may be completely wrong (in which case you can call me "*******")

Thank you for all the encouraging words...I hope I get that acceptance on December 15th so that this waiting process ends!

hey csv, cute pucca & garu icon :)

I had one interview that lasted 5 minutes. Not that I've gotten in yet, but all kinds of stuff can happen, so don't worry about it.

35 minutes isn't a short interview. 10-20 minutes is short. Most of my interviews were supposed to last an hour, too, but they rarely have. I got accepted at most of the schools I interviewed at.

My interview at WI was supposed to be ~30 minutes. Mine was only 15. Freaking out at first, but the person who had this interviewer after me had a 15-20 minute interview too. So that calmed me down a bit, but I'm still worried just like you. Once again, a top choice. One difference though, my interviewer didn't even ask me if I had any questions. :confused: :scared: I'll let you know the result in a month or so...

i had one that was supposed to be an hour, but it only lasted 35 minutes. and i only asked like one question cause it was my first interview, and i didn't quite have the hang of it yet. anyway, i got accepted there. so a short interview is probably not going to hurt you!

laura :)