Should anticipating interviews prevent me from taking on a teaching opportunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shady_bb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

2016 M.D./Ph.D. Applicant here. I expect to apply to about 20 M.D./Ph.D. programs.

I'll be graduating from my undergrad in December. Last semester I was approached by one of my favorite (yet most intimidating) professors to teach an Organic Chemistry Recitation on Thursdays during the fall semester. I quickly accepted because I love teaching, and I especially love the idea of taking a crack at the high O-Chem attrition rates. I would be sharing this responsibility with another student, and the current plan is that we would trade weeks so that each of us would be teaching the section on a bi-weekly basis.

My question is, would the interviews I may get as an M.D./Ph.D. applicant get in the way of my Recitation responsibilities? Is it presumptuous of me to tell my (again, somewhat intimidating) professor this summer that I can't teach the recitation because of the interviews I may be invited to in the fall? I just really want to be involved with this recitation, so I hate to turn it down for unfounded reasons.

My stats for context:
4.0 cGPA (no-name state school with very high acceptance rate)
April MCAT, 90-100% (I get my scores on Tuesday. I'm anticipating around 95%)
~4 years of research experience, including 3 summers and 1 semester full-time
~90 hours clinical shadowing
I have several other ECs, but I don't want to be too specific.

Thank you for any advice. This is my first post, so I apologize for being neurotic.

Members don't see this ad.

I TA'ed during the fall semester during my app cycle. I think it should be fine, but maybe consider talking to your co-TA about being flexible about which lectures you are responsible for, pending interviews. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user