Should I accept or decline going into Saint James School of Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorNations

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI. I got accepted into this medical school. But I don't know if I should decide to attend or not. The deposit is 1000 and my family is low- income and cannot afford to pay my medical school. My dad is unemplyed right now. Since it's not a US, school, not US financial aid. So Even tho I can pay the deposit, I don' tknow how I will be able to pay the living expenses and tuition every semester. Should I decline or use this school as a back up in case I don't get in into a US school. I haven't applied to a US school yet. Will soon tho.
Reason why I appled to SJSM? MCAT is optional. I did horibbly in my MCAT .

I appreciate the advice.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No, because right now you do not know how you are going to pay
for school, and if your MCAT score is really terrible you might
fail the US medical licensing exam and then you would not be
able to practice medicine. I'm not sure what you mean by terrible
MCAT score. If you mean mid 20's, then you should study more and bring
it up. If it's even worse than that, you need to figure out whether you
will have the stomach for med school...it's a LOT of stuff to memorize
and work through. If your MCAT is that awful you either need to learn
how to study differently, or take more classes, or maybe you just aren't
enough of a science person to make med school feasible for you.
Did you talk with premed advisor(s) at your undergrad? Did you take
more than the required courses for applying to med school?
Did you research this med school to see whether they have proper
hospital affiliations to train you during 3rd/4th years of med school,
and whether their degree is accepted in most US states? Did you
check to find out what % of their students actually passed all the
required US medical licensing exams? What % actually got a
residency?

So I thought about it and since they only had one loan, it it's not guaranteed that i will get it, I would be able to go, cuz then I wouldn't know how I would pay the rest. But yeah, I'm thinking of taking the MCAT again, I did great on the sciences and I did take alot of science courses as an undergrad. So all I need is to bring up my MCAT score, the verbal part, that's what dropped my score. But how do you study for verbal?

Thanks for your advice. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal was my good section, so that's not the one I had to study much for.
If you have one particularly weak section, I think I would consider approaching that by getting a private tutor, maybe Princeton Review or Kaplan, etc. I have heard a lot of people say to just read a lot of newspapers, New York Times, etc. I personally love to read and because I read a lot my whole life, I think that my reading speed is very fast and my reading comp. is good and that has helped me a lot with these types of tests. The tutors can help you with test taking strategies.

HI. I got accepted into this medical school. But I don't know if I should decide to attend or not. The deposit is 1000 and my family is low- income and cannot afford to pay my medical school. My dad is unemplyed right now. Since it's not a US, school, not US financial aid. So Even tho I can pay the deposit, I don' tknow how I will be able to pay the living expenses and tuition every semester. Should I decline or use this school as a back up in case I don't get in into a US school. I haven't applied to a US school yet. Will soon tho.

I appreciate the advice.
Thanks

You mean to tell me US federal loans are not applicable to SJSM? meaning no subsidized Stafford Loan and no unsubsidized Stafford Loan? ...also if you attend will start medical school or the pre-med program? ...just curious.

You mean to tell me US federal loans are not applicable to SJSM? meaning no subsidized Stafford Loan and no unsubsidized Stafford Loan? ...also if you attend will start medical school or the pre-med program? ...just curious.

SJSM is not eligible for US federal loans. That means no Stafford.

I appreciate the advice.
Thanks

“Saint James School of Medicine is a FRAUD, SCAM, and LIE!!! DONT GO to “Saint James School of Medicine” !!!! TOTAL FRAUD! THEY JUST WANT YOUR MONEY!!!! Take all your requisites and MCAT and just go to a proper school!!!!! You will never become a doctor from SJSM and you’ll be broke!!!

Decline. Study hard for the MCAT for a year, and apply to the newer DO schools. Dont take a short-cut, because its only going to burn you in the end.

Decline. Study hard for the MCAT for a year, and apply to the newer DO schools. Dont take a short-cut, because its only going to burn you in the end.
im sure OP will take your advice 6 years after the fact

Reactions: 2 users