Should I accept this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

believe <3

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, a professor asked me to substitute for her classes, and I told her I would be available during her class times. However, she then sent me an email saying it was not necessary. This happened twice over a period of two weeks. I was okay with it because it wan't like I had any other classes or plans during that time, but the professor also mentioned that she appreciated my willingness to take over for her class and would leave me a "tip" for being available. I just got the tip from the envelope she left in her mailbox and it's $30…should I accept this? I feel bad accepting this much money especially when I didn't do anything…I've never had a professor give me free money before and I'm not sure how it would look if I just accepted it and said thank you…does it reflect badly on my part?!

Members don't see this ad.

That's weird... I would return the money. If you had actually subbed for her, then fine, whatever, take the money, but you didn't even do anything to remotely deserve it.

That's weird... I would return the money. If you had actually subbed for her, then fine, whatever, take the money, but you didn't even do anything to remotely deserve it.

Don't listen to DS. It's not a test to see if you will return the cash or not. Money is tight, and you offered your time. I would just send them an email saying you really appreciate the money even though it was not necessary. And just re-emphasize that you are available if they need you in the future.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't listen to DS. It's not a test to see if you will return the cash or not. Money is tight, and you offered your time. I would just send them an email saying you really appreciate the money even though it was not necessary. And just re-emphasize that you are available if they need you in the future.

Yes I was thinking of doing this…considering I already have the money with me (I picked up the envelope…I just wasn't expecting $30, if it was like $5, I wouldn't feel so bad). Should I also say that I would be happy to sub another time for free? Or is that too much?

P.S. - I have subbed for this professor before and I do get paid as part of my teaching assistant duties.

Buy yourself a Caramel Brulee Latte, and write a quick email saying thank you and to let you know if they ever need need you in the future to sub. Sometimes simple is the best. Don't suck up because well no one likes a suck up! That's what I would do but it also depends on the type of relationship you have with them! You feel bad because you are a good person. But your time is worth compensation!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if AAUC has a policy on this or not, but my gut is telling me that it crosses a line.

A Starbucks or Amazon card, that would have been OK.

Recently, a professor asked me to substitute for her classes, and I told her I would be available during her class times. However, she then sent me an email saying it was not necessary. This happened twice over a period of two weeks. I was okay with it because it wan't like I had any other classes or plans during that time, but the professor also mentioned that she appreciated my willingness to take over for her class and would leave me a "tip" for being available. I just got the tip from the envelope she left in her mailbox and it's $30…should I accept this? I feel bad accepting this much money especially when I didn't do anything…I've never had a professor give me free money before and I'm not sure how it would look if I just accepted it and said thank you…does it reflect badly on my part?!

Clearing my schedule is expensive.

I made a graph to show you how much your time is worth! Enjoy.

eEVBdQA.png

You know times are tough when 30 dollars is a lot of money

$30 for agreeing to teach 2 classes is $15 each. $30 may be a lot of money for a student, but it is not a lot of money to a professional with a job. I have whisky that costs more than that per oz.
Thank him for the opportunity and go treat yourself to a case of Budweiser.
I give my administrative assistant $20 coffee cart cards all the time.

That's weird to me but I went to a small UG where some students helped out teachers just because we had such personal relationships with our teachers

I get paid more teaching a lab :p

It's not that big of a deal

But this seems different than official TA'ing so its hard to compare them

You might want to reassess your wardrobe. She may have thought you needed money because you look homeless..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk