Should I add a non-academic transcript to my optometry application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxh172

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My transcript for my undergrad classes are pretty science-focused (graduating with majors in biology and microbiology) but I attended culinary school during a 15 month break between my first undergraduate institution and another one that I transferred to. If I do not include my culinary school transcript, I am afraid it may compromise my application by making it seem like I did nothing for 15 months (I know I can submit a supplementary explanation, but if I do that, I might as well include the transcript, right?). But I'm also afraid that if I include it, it may confuse the admissions staff (ie. why is she applying to optometry school if she went to culinary school?)
Should I include it or no?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say contact the admissions office of each school and ask whether they want it or not. Have them make a note in your file that you were indeed being productive in those 15 months. You may also want to briefly explain why you're pursuing optometry instead of culinary arts.