Should I add more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leagueofDravenMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, would appreciate any input on what other schools to apply to. I can't stop thinking about adding other schools or doing something to help my chances. I have been told I applied to too many programs that have too many applicants. I'm also particularly worried about my minimal research, non-clinical volunteering, lack of leadership, overall few extracurricular hrs over 4 years, and bad secondaries (why this school([I have no ties to any medical school, schools all seem similar], what will you contribute). Also, GWU has put me on "hold" for almost 2 weeks now (complete 8/7, all other schools between 8/11-8/20).
Below is a quick summary of my app.

Asian, CT resident, mid tier undergrad school, Biochemistry, 3.86 GPA, similar science GPA, 36 MCAT (11/11/14 PS).
25o hrs clinical volunteering (ER, fall risk, discharge).
60 hrs non-clinical volunteering, just as a note taker for the office of disability services.
140 hrs shadowing, split between 5 physicians.
ophthalmology research 1 summer, and 1 semester for credit, no pubs.
Work experience: high school tutor once a week 2 years, and at a tennis club in summer before college.
Leadership: Tennis Club (secretary 3 yrs), pre-health mentor 2 semesters, 2 students at a time.

currently taking a gap year working as an orthopedic medical scribe.

I have applied to:
-Pritzker
-NYU
-Keck USC
-BU
-Tufts
-UCONN
-Miller UM
-Albert Einstein
-Tulane
-Drexel
-GWU
-RUSH

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why'd you pick Drexel and not any other PA schools? If you're looking for schools to add, you can add all of the PA MD schools, except TCMC (they favor people from that area). Even if you just want to do Philly, there's 3 other MD schools there and you have the stats to be competitive at all of them. Depends on your ECs and essays too, so you might want to have someone look at those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why'd you pick Drexel and not any other PA schools? If you're looking for schools to add, you can add all of the PA MD schools, except TCMC (they favor people from that area). Even if you just want to do Philly, there's 3 other MD schools there and you have the stats to be competitive at all of them. Depends on your ECs and essays too, so you might want to have someone look at those.
Sorry about the wrong forum post.
I didn't apply to Temple because I had a problem with their admissions requirements. Another problem with my app is that many of my pre-reqs are from AP credits that gave me test credit at my institution. Temple says I can only use 2 ap credits for science pre-reqs. Although I have additional bio/chem coursework.
Also, I cant apply to any schools with 1 year strict english requirement (I only have 1 eng course, multiple writing intensive though.

I have modest EC's and essays at best, so I wouldn't feel comfortable applying at UPENN. Thought about PITT but it seemed that they might have more emphasis better research exp.

I guess a lot of factors are narrowing my list that maybe shouldn't be. Are 3rd and 4th year rotations better in a city/urban area? Should I focus less on the tuition? Do people apply to places they have never been to? Should I add a lot more lower tier schools? How does one choose a school, and what makes a school unique?