Should I add more schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlasticMan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AACOMAS mailed application to AZCOM, NYCOM, PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM last week. I'm wondering if I should apply to more schools, or if with my stats, I have a likely chance of being accepted into one of the four schools above and shouldn't spend the money(money is very tight). If I should add some schools, which do you recommend? I've thought about Touro and CCOM.

My stats:
Major: Comp Sci(graduated may 05)
August '05 MCAT: 25M - 9V, 9PS, 7BS
GPA: 3.48, SCI 3.40.
State of residence: NJ

Volunteered in healthcare in the past, currently shadowing cardio-thoracic surgeon in OR, several good LOR including one from an MD, and have worked past several years as engineer while in school and am working as engineer now that I'm out of school.

Thanks for your input!

**EDIT** As a side note, 4 schools seems like not many, but bear in mind I have applied to 11 allopathic schools, but doubt any will accept me due to my low MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

PlasticMan said:
AACOMAS mailed application to AZCOM, NYCOM, PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM last week. I'm wondering if I should apply to more schools, or if with my stats, I have a likely chance of being accepted into one of the four schools above and shouldn't spend the money(money is very tight). If I should add some schools, which do you recommend? I've thought about Touro and CCOM.

My stats:
Major: Comp Sci(graduated may 05)
August '05 MCAT: 25M - 9V, 9PS, 7BS
GPA: 3.48, SCI 3.40.
State of residence: NJ

Volunteered in healthcare in the past, currently shadowing cardio-thoracic surgeon in OR, several good LOR including one from an MD, and have worked past several years as engineer while in school and am working as engineer now that I'm out of school.

Thanks for your input!

**EDIT** As a side note, 4 schools seems like not many, but bear in mind I have applied to 11 allopathic schools, but doubt any will accept me due to my low MCAT.

add WVSOM, great school.

looks good. NYCOM and PCOM started interviewing later and have huge classes so that helps. Stats look good for the schools you applied to.

CCOM is pretty selective and fills early so not sure how good a shot you are for them. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to unecom,vcom,pscom, and lecom

Thanks for the advice :)

dr.z said:
I would add a few more schools if you can afford to apply.
Absolutely NOT, you will be waisting your time and money at this point in application cycle.

I would add DMU and CCOM. Give it a shot.