Should I apply again this cycle or wait another year? Areas to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspreytaheo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, this forum's been incredibly informative and helpful and I'd like to thank everyone for contributing, especially doc toothache. Thanks! To start, I applied last cycle and was rejected from my top schools. I attribute this to applying a bit late, but I'm honestly not sure what areas I need to work on to enhance my application and improve my chances at admission. My top schools were UCLA, UCSF, and UPenn, but I received rejections elsewhere as well.

I'm a non-trad applicant and I graduated with a bachelor's from a large, top 30 private university a few years ago, but did not completely finish my pre-reqs. I'm actually finishing up my final pre-req in Bio this semester.

My stats are ok, but not great and my ECs are on the weaker side.

oGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.56
BCP: 3.48
DAT: AA-20 TS-20 Bio-19 GC-20 OC-21 RC-21 QR-19 PAT-22

I've been shadowing several dentists/ortho's and have around 100 hours of shadowing at this point. I have a few interesting hobbies, but I have no leadership positions to speak of and no recent or relevant volunteering experience. I have been cleared to begin volunteering next week at a free dental clinic in my area and have some past experience in hospitals and vet clinics. I am/have been working as a teacher for the past few years and I anticipate that I'll have a strong personal statement.

I'm definitely motivated, but I'm not entirely sure what I should be focusing on right now other than continuing to shadow and volunteer. Where should I be applying other than the schools I have mentioned? Thanks for hearing me out and any feedback would be appreciated. :help::help:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, this forum's been incredibly informative and helpful and I'd like to thank everyone for contributing, especially doc toothache. Thanks! To start, I applied last cycle and was rejected from my top schools. I attribute this to applying a bit late, but I'm honestly not sure what areas I need to work on to enhance my application and improve my chances at admission. My top schools were UCLA, UCSF, and UPenn, but I received rejections elsewhere as well.

I'm a non-trad applicant and I graduated with a bachelor's from a large, top 30 private university a few years ago, but did not completely finish my pre-reqs. I'm actually finishing up my final pre-req in Bio this semester.

My stats are ok, but not great and my ECs are on the weaker side.

oGPA: 3.65
sGPA: 3.56
BCP: 3.48
DAT: AA-20 TS-20 Bio-19 GC-20 OC-21 RC-21 QR-19 PAT-22

I've been shadowing several dentists/ortho's and have around 100 hours of shadowing at this point. I have a few interesting hobbies, but I have no leadership positions to speak of and no recent or relevant volunteering experience. I have been cleared to begin volunteering next week at a free dental clinic in my area and have some past experience in hospitals and vet clinics. I am/have been working as a teacher for the past few years and I anticipate that I'll have a strong personal statement.

I'm definitely motivated, but I'm not entirely sure what I should be focusing on right now other than continuing to shadow and volunteer. Where should I be applying other than the schools I have mentioned? Thanks for hearing me out and any feedback would be appreciated. :help::help:

where else did you apply if you dont mind sharing?

did you apply to WesternU, USC, MWU-AZ, OSHU, and LECOM?

where else did you apply if you dont mind sharing?

did you apply to WesternU, USC, MWU-AZ, OSHU, and LECOM?

I also applied to Western, UCSF, Pitt and Columbia. Unfortunately, I didn't receive any interviews from these schools. I'm still trying to figure out where I should send my applications out next time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to Western, UCSF, Pitt and Columbia. Unfortunately, I didn't receive any interviews from these schools. I'm still trying to figure out where I should send my applications out next time around.

wow, all those programs are very top dental programs. HOw come you did not apply to any mid or low/safety schools?

Reactions: 1 user
wow, all those programs are very top dental programs. HOw come you did not apply to any mid or low/safety schools?
Yeah, I basically applied to only where I wanted to go and left out a lot of schools because I was ok with re-applying if I didn't get in. I wish I had though. I was also pretty rushed with submitting my app because it was already kind of late. And at the time, I didn't really realize which schools were safeties and mid tiers. I think I know a little more now!

Yeah, I basically applied to only where I wanted to go and left out a lot of schools because I was ok with re-applying if I didn't get in. I wish I had though. I was also pretty rushed with submitting my app because it was already kind of late. And at the time, I didn't really realize which schools were safeties and mid tiers. I think I know a little more now!

ohh I see, i think WesternU is less competitive (but they look for a student type), MWU-AZ also is mid tier, I think LECOM -FL is low tier ( but idk why it rejects people with high stats before). UNLV is mid tier too i think

good luck

ohh I see, i think WesternU is less competitive (but they look for a student type), MWU-AZ also is mid tier, I think LECOM -FL is low tier ( but idk why it rejects people with high stats before). UNLV is mid tier too i think

good luck

Thanks~ I've been considering those schools too

go for it!

I think I will. Thanks!
I'm actually a bit concerned now because I just realized that my pre-requisites are a bit dated. I finished them around 2008-2010. Would this be a negative point in my application? Would they still count towards my completion of the pre-reqs?

I think I will. Thanks!
I'm actually a bit concerned now because I just realized that my pre-requisites are a bit dated. I finished them around 2008-2010. Would this be a negative point in my application? Would they still count towards my completion of the pre-reqs?

I graduated in 2008 so some of my pre-reqs were completed back in 2006, and I'll be a D1 this fall. You shouldn't have a problem.

I graduated in 2008 so some of my pre-reqs were completed back in 2006, and I'll be a D1 this fall. You shouldn't have a problem.
Thats definitely reassuring. Thanks for your response! Congrats on getting in~

wow good job Chihuahua!

Thanks!! I think being a medical lab scientist and actually using the knowledge from my pre-reqs and gaining more via required CEs the past 6 years helped too. It might be different if I took pre-regs in 2006, graduated in 2008, and worked in a totally unrelated field and lost most of that knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user