should I apply now or wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trombonesn1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get into an MD program but just got my MCAT scores back and it's 21. I have a 3.7 cumulative GPA and have been working at a hospital/getting patient exposure for about 2 years. Should I just apply now with what I got or should I face the MCAT again? I sort of went in blindly studying only 2 weeks prior to the test so I am more disappointed in my score than surprised. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I want to get into an MD program but just got my MCAT scores back and it's 21. I have a 3.7 cumulative GPA and have been working at a hospital/getting patient exposure for about 2 years. Should I just apply now with what I got or should I face the MCAT again? I sort of went in blindly studying only 2 weeks prior to the test so I am more disappointed in my score than surprised. Any suggestions?

Honestly, with a 21, you will be screened out and will have wasted your money applying. I would suggest taking a good 3 months to study and review content, and re-apply. Actually, I don't think it's too late to apply this year, if you can get a seat to take the August mcat exam.

I would definitely study consistently for at least three months for the MCAT. I am sure that your score will go up signficantly initially by simply reviewing the material thoroughly. Maybe consider taking an MCAT prep course like Kaplan or ExamKrackers. Your gpa is good but the MCAT needs work. I would advise you not to apply until you break a 30. Good luck! Hope this helps!

Sorry to hear about your scores.

By all means, do NOT apply this application cycle! You have no chance whatsoever. Applying will be a waste of money and, more importantly, time and effort that you need to divert to MCAT studying. If you apply in 2009 to start in 2010, you should have several additional MCAT attempts between now and then.

Don't be fooled: going from 21 to 30 is a BIG jump and it's going to be very difficult to get there. 30 seems like a so-so score since it's kind of the unofficial benchmark, but the data suggest an overall score of 30 is somewhere around 75th percentile amongst all test takers.

You should give yourself 2-4 months before retaking the MCAT. You have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck!